Learning how to drive with a trailer..

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #161  
This is one area that once again proves, there is no substitute for experience.

Practice is the only way you are going to get good at it.

If you are really green, I strongly suggest you have a knowledgeable spotter so you don't damage your trailer, or your towing vehicle. It takes a while to realize where you can get in trouble, jack knifing, or backing into things.

To test the theory that it's easier to learn things, when you are young, I started teaching my Great Granddaughter to back up a trailer at 8 years old. We started out using a mower, and a lawn cart. If it's true, she should be real good at it by the time she gets her drivers license.
I taught mine to change a tire at night to prove she was ready to drive on her own - didn't want her stuck and dependent on the "nice guy" that pulled over when he saw her waving cars down.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #162  
I get compliments at the dump, for a guy with a regular truck...
My secret is constantly saying "Steer the trailer, then the truck."
Seriously, my mantra as soon as it goes in reverse.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #163  
I’d like to see you yank on a trailer with a skidsteer or an 8320 JD loaded. I’m 68 and I’ve been doing this a long time. You have your opinion and I have mine. State yours but don’t put mine down!!!
There was several good reasons for what he said in contrast to what you said.
The skills we have are being lost by the next generation(s) and that makes what he said exactly true. I can move my trailer tongue with a 10,000 pound tractor/loader/bushhog sitting on it, and while I am not 68, I am only six months from it. Apparently not everyone is helpless at 67.
David from jax

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer..
Thanks for all the excellent suggestions and tips. I have been swamped by other projects so far this spring/summer so this has been on the back burner. That being said, what I am thinking is to rent a uhaul for a day and practice for the day but not attempt to bring it home because of my afore mentioned narrow back roads etc. I will pick routes and areas ahead of time that I could practice and have the least chance of problems. I figured I could bribe one of my trailer driving buddies to go with me for the day and bail me out in case of severe trouble lol.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #165  
I suspect that trailor tongues that move and allow a person to have some wiggle room to get on to the ball of the truck has a lot to do with the type and quality of jack on the trailor. I have a several that will NOT wiggle even a fraction of a inch. Have several that will wiggle at least a inch or more.
The 3 inch ish square tube type that goes through the trailor frame near the tongue do not wiggle. Those that have the round tube that are welded onto the side or into the tongue frame have a lot of wiggle room.

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #166  
To reiterate, if you have a atv or compact tractor, get it hook up to some trailer and practice. That does make perfect. :ROFLMAO:
bosstrailer1070013.jpg

/ Learning how to drive with a trailer.. #167  
To reiterate, if you have a atv or compact tractor, get it hook up to some trailer and practice. That does make perfect. :ROFLMAO: View attachment 804602
I would think that an ATV(but I don't own one of those things)would not be a good choice for learning to back up a trailer. Now, don't get me wrong, yes it can be done, but in most cases backing the trailer in a vehicle driven on the road, the mirrors are the things you would be using, and most (yes, an assumption) ATV do not have mirrors, and if they do, they will not be wide enough to be able to see down the sides of the trailer. You can look over your shoulder and see what the trailer is doing, but you won't ever be able to back the trailer into a blind hole very far, without being able to see the sides, as you are blinded by the trailer being wider than what you can see. Even using mirrors become worthless once the trailer starts to "bend", which is when the driver looks out the window. (or in the case of a Peterbilt with stacks right behind the doors, why a lot of drivers open the door and some actually walk out onto the step).
My point is, a vehicle with mirrors wider than the trailer would be better to learn with.
David from jax