Leaking stabilizer cylinder on model 48 backhoe

/ Leaking stabilizer cylinder on model 48 backhoe #1  

DanMc77

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4600, JD 2210, JD 332
I have a model JD model 48 backhoe with a stabilizer cylinder that's leaking to the point where I will need to finally deal with this. I have zero experience with hyd cylinder repair, so any advise will be helpful. Maybe an aftermarket cylinder? I know for sure that JD would say they want an insane amount of $$ for this.

/ Leaking stabilizer cylinder on model 48 backhoe #2  
I have a model JD model 48 backhoe with a stabilizer cylinder that's leaking to the point where I will need to finally deal with this. I have zero experience with hyd cylinder repair, so any advise will be helpful. Maybe an aftermarket cylinder? I know for sure that JD would say they want an insane amount of $$ for this.

Take it to a hydraulic repair shop. Price varies naturally, but I just had the two curl cylinders rebuilt on my Kubota loader, and the cost was just $60 more that the price of the seal kit from the dealer. Repair is easiest probably, depending on how bad your cylinder condition is of course, but the shop will examine and give you a price, and you can go from there...

/ Leaking stabilizer cylinder on model 48 backhoe #3  
Worth repairing, if you buy an aftermarket cyl be ready for some bracket modifications or hose conversions.

Might need some attention to the hyd rod, most stabilizers get hit by rocks or bent, all fixable.

Plenty of hyd repair shops in southern NH.