Leaking fuel line BX2660

/ Leaking fuel line BX2660 #1  

JOHNTHOMAS

Tractor
F2690 4WD RTV X1140 MX5400 HST ZD1211
Moved more dirt from my top soil reserve pile up to my garden, Drug boxblade most of the time to smooth out my "road" down to my pile of dirt and back up to the garden. Finished my dirt moving/boxblading and ready to reinstall MMM since grass is about a foot tall.
Turned tires on MMM so they will roll under tractor and notice a wet spot. Check and fuel is dripping off the two lines held together with plastic ties right near fuel filter and silver thing that looks like a fuel filter. Dryed lines and felt up them both and located a rubbed spot on the line that is not going into the fuel filter. The rubber boot had slid back on I guess drive shaft and it must have spun with the drive shaft and rubbed thru hard ribbed plastic cover over line and then almost thru the side of the fuel line. Will stop by Barlows tomorrow for fix advise but maybe someone here has some sage wisdom as to best/easiest repair. In my mind I'm figureing some type of metal tube slid into the ends of the fuel ine after I cut it and then a clamp at each end. Yahs or nays?

/ Leaking fuel line BX2660 #2  
Its a rubber hose. Wouldnt it be easier to replace the hose with a slightly longer one to reroute it away a little from the driveshaft? The silver thing is your feul pump that is next to your feul filter.
How did the boot come off ? was it damaged ?

By the way, With all the work you are doing with the hoses, Might as well add a feul petcock before the first filter where it comes out of the tank. It would save you a headache when changing filters in the future. I am thinking of doing the same thing, but havent yet since My feul lines doesnt need servicing yet.

/ Leaking fuel line BX2660
Its a rubber hose. Wouldnt it be easier to replace the hose with a slightly longer one to reroute it away a little from the driveshaft? The silver thing is your feul pump that is next to your feul filter.
How did the boot come off ? Don't know, may have been off the entire time was it damaged ? No, I just pushed it forward and it slipped right over it's proper home and sort of seated into place some what secure. May be something for others to check.

By the way, With all the work you are doing with the hoses, Only work I plan on doing is cut it, insert tube and two clamps, hopefully. Might as well add a feul petcock before the first filter where it comes out of the tank. It would save you a headache when changing filters in the future. How, you mean by stopping fuel from continueing to flow when changing filters? I am thinking of doing the same thing, but havent yet since My feul lines doesnt need servicing yet.

Thanks for reply.

Last edited:
Also, I can't find beginning and end of hoses, I'm sure they are there but I didn't find them with out digging deep. Also, why 2 lines for fuel?

/ Leaking fuel line BX2660 #5  
JT sometimes engines use a re-circulating fuel system. Haven't looked to see if the BX uses that or not.

JT sometimes engines use a re-circulating fuel system. Haven't looked to see if the BX uses that or not.
You mean like pump pumps at all times and if not used by engine then goes back into tank? Makes sense since no filters on 2nd line that has leak.

/ Leaking fuel line BX2660 #7  
Every diesel engine I've ever worked on has a second line that returns excess fuel back to the tank.

kj

Every diesel engine I've ever worked on has a second line that returns excess fuel back to the tank.

kj
dO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR REPAIR OTHER THAN REPLACE THE ENTIRE LINE? Oops, cap locks on.

/ Leaking fuel line BX2660 #9  
You could splice the line but this adds more leak points. All you would need is a barbed fitting for the diameter of hose and a couple hose clamps. If there is enough slack and the wear spot is very short you could probably just get a barbed union, cut out the bad section, put the barb fitting in place, tighten the clamps and drive away. Any decent auto parts store should have these fittings.

Roy

/ Leaking fuel line BX2660 #10  
If you need to do something in a pinch, get barbed fittings or get a metal feul line and 4 high pressure clamps from local auto store. On my car that developed a leak, I would cut the metal line, insert hose long enough to cover at least 6 inches on each side and put 2 high pressure clamps on each side of cut. On your BX, use a 4-6 inch long metal gas line and put in side of your hose and clamp. This will get you up and running. Just don't use the worm clamps- I hate thoses on feul lines. sometime they strip, sometime they not tight enough, sometimes you crush line, sometimes the rubber squeezes through the slits in clamp.

listen to oldnslo- use barbed fittings and high pressure clamps.