Leak at brake at left front wheel 1850

/ Leak at brake at left front wheel 1850 #1  

agjones

Platinum Member
Tractor
Rk55HC 4n1 fel/bh, Power-Trac 1850, 425d, Terex pt30, Kubota kx033, bx1880, yanmar 8x8 dumper, Magnatrac mh5000 w/ loader, six way blade & backhoe, Dew-eze ATM72LC Slope Mower, Terramite t6 4wd, DR Power brush mower
Hi gang

Putting away the 1850 yesterday I heard the telltale clicking of a stray brake pin. By the time I parked it and looked back there was a trail of hydraulic.

The leak is by the adjust on the left front and the whole hydraulic brake assembly wiggles. Leaks when released. No leak when engaged.

Didn't have time to troubleshoot...as I was heading off to back surgery. Grrrr... Now I've got 6 weeks to figure it out...

Thoughts? I searched... But search isn't real productive.
Thx
Andrew

/ Leak at brake at left front wheel 1850 #2  
Our model does not have a brake pin, at least not in the sense of the other models. Or do you mean something else?

Ken

/ Leak at brake at left front wheel 1850 #3  
The hydraulic brakes are spring on, pressure off, just like air brakes. So, it would leak when there is pressure in the circuit.

Could it just be that the hose is loose at the wheel motor, and you heard the brake on the verge of engaging?

All the best,

Peter

/ Leak at brake at left front wheel 1850
Ok after back surgery, finally cleared to do more than breathe and pace...

This leak is at the adjustment screw. Leaks when brakes are released. The other 3 all seem fine.

I've read the instructions, fwiw.

The whole spring unit kind of flops around.

Thoughts?

/ Leak at brake at left front wheel 1850 #5  
Spring unit? You have lost me. Photo?

All the best,

Peter

1023181202a.jpg

The leak is under the spring adjustment screw and the whole cylindrical housing, labeled spring applied brake wiggles....or it did until tightened. Still leaks.

Is there a seal in there that might be shot?

Yep. Seal.

Terry said there's a brake exchange... Buy one ~200. Ship the old one back. Easy enough.

Until then, undid the hyd hose capped and plugged. It's just pressure, not flow. So not deadheaded.

/ Leak at brake at left front wheel 1850 #8  
Just to clarify for my curiosity; if you plug the hose, the brake stays off? i.e. your brakes are pressure applied brakes, not pressure removed?
(car brake type, not semi truck type, right? The sticker on the brake, saying spring applied brake is wrong?)

Regardless, there are pliable caps for trailer bearings that would cover that area, and help keep dirt out, which might, might, improve longevity.

My 1445 brake has a similar moving part that there is a factory modification that routes the weeped oil back to the tank, which cleans up the area significantly, but in 600ish hours, I have worn out two of these.

All the best,

Peter

/ Leak at brake at left front wheel 1850 #9  
They fail on so if you break a hose on a hill, you stop.So, like air brakes

Ken

Yep, I get it, thx... I removed the brake actuator... There is nothing to fail.. Especially not to fail on. There are now 3 brakes. Until Keith's package arrives.