Lawn tractor carrier

/ Lawn tractor carrier #1  

bkenobi

Silver Member
Tractor
NH T1510
I recently posted about wanting an attachment here. After discussion, that's not the right way to go for me. I decided to get a 15 gallon sparyer with a boom and wand. I could have gotten one with a set of wheels but I don't want to tow it and would prefer it to sit on the back of the tractor. I've seen a number of options from pre-2010 that were commercially available that look great. I've also seen a lot of topics where people have DIY'ed a carrier usually from the Harbor Freight ATV platform. The design that looks best is sadly not available any more as far as I can tell (Craftsman Load 'N Go P/N 610.24411). I like that this unit slips on the shoulder bolts on the side of the frame and with a single bolt/cotter pin it can be removed.

March 5, 2006 002.jpg

It looks like Cub Cadet sells one that's very similar but not sure if it would fit on an LT1000.

Since I haven't found one I know will work, I was thinking I could repurpose the grass catcher mount I found in the bone yard.

bagger_mount.jpg

I'd just have to source/build a platform and attach it to the bagger tubes. I currently plan on this since I have the majority of the parts. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a source for the folding Craftsman utility platform? Mine would certainly work, but it's going to be a bit bulky and heavier. It looks like the Load 'N Go would be relatively light and would fold up very compact. I did locate a post on another forum where they posted pictures with all the measurements so I suppose I could get some 3/16 plate and fabricate my own. But for the original price of $60 (in 2010) I can't imagine even getting materials for that ignoring my time/labor.

/ Lawn tractor carrier #2  
Why not put a receiver tube on the rear hitch and then use something like this?

/ Lawn tractor carrier
Thats the ATV platform i mentioned. And i did consider that but wasnt sure if the pin hole would support a square hitch adapter. I found some lawn tractor hitch adapters on Amazon but they seemed super bulky/heavy and not easily removable from pictures. I usually mulch, but when i need to bag i dont want to take an hour to do it. I guess i could go the other way and only install the hitch when i need the platform, but the Load N Go is a 1 minute install and should be super strong.

/ Lawn tractor carrier #4  
I did exactly that using her bagger tubes and upper bagger frame. The deck was gone so this creation stays on her Husqvarna. If I recall I put on a set of lower bars to hold the wand and hose.

/ Lawn tractor carrier
@tomplum Are the bagger arms strong enough to hold the sprayer or did you have to reinforce them? If so, I can probably find the frame in the bone yard. I have the metal to weld something together, but if I can simply slip the existing part on, that seems a bit better.

/ Lawn tractor carrier #6  
I think weight wise you're OK. Think the usable weight of the sprayer would be comparable to two bags full of heavy grass? Might have done some reinforcing? I can't remember what size sprayer they had, but it went most the way across the twin bagger frame. Welded supports plus a sheet metal base across the top. Then did two drops on the back made out of electrical strut possibly to be adjustable for some reason. I just saw it about a month ago, but I built this 5years back though.

/ Lawn tractor carrier #7  
They must have been boom brackets I made that were adjustable.

/ Lawn tractor carrier
I've looked all over for the top portion of the bracket but doesn't seem like they are very robust since they aren't available. Possibly that they are attached to the bagger top so they get tossed when the plastic breaks. Who knows. I'll just weld something together and make due. It'll be fine. Would have preferred being able to take the top/platform off from the part the attaches to the tractor for easier installation but too much of a pain to recreate that. I'm only going to spray 1-2x per year anyway so not an issue.

/ Lawn tractor carrier #9  
I got a look at the piece I made again this last week. It was pretty much what I thought it was. The top frame didn't have reinforcement, just had some sheet attached for the base. What was happening though is one of the 4 shoulder bolts that the base slid on was pulled through. Dunno what if they grabbed the shed door or ? I just but a through bolt and nut on it.

/ Lawn tractor carrier #10  
The title had me imagining a big truck/trailer that shows up with a squadron of lawn tractors that launch and attack tall grass.

Just be careful of putting too much weight too far back on those things or you may not be able to steer. Ask me how I know.