Lawn Question Deux

/ Lawn Question Deux
I agree with the mulch idea. You've got to consider that with a tree sucking up the available water it's also sucking up all the availalble nutrients in the soil also. One way to feed your trees . Consider a auger drill bit for a cordless drill. Drill holes (3-4 each) down and around the drip line and add 5-10-15 or 10-10-10 fertilizer and cover the hole up, usually once a year. You can use the fertlizer sticks but they can get pricey. My dad told me (I'm taking it for the truth), that certain trees drip a type of acid in their sap ( where I'm from it's oaks and pecan trees). It prevents other trees from competeing with them and cuts down any competition. Evidence is cars left under the trees usualy the paint job gets eaten up and rust starts in if left for extended periods of time so it applies the sap much have something in it to kill off grasses. Pines around here not so much but they have a lot of surface roots just on top of the ground. Grass around oaks here in GA is almost a nono. When I was a small lad folks kept a swept manicured sand yard, no grass whatsoever.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind; I never thought about the trees taking the nutrients from the grass. I usually fertilize at least once, sometimes twice during the year, so it never even occurred to me.

/ Lawn Question Deux #12  
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind; I never thought about the trees taking the nutrients from the grass. I usually fertilize at least once, sometimes twice during the year, so it never even occurred to me.

What type soil do you have in OK? never been there , That's why I ask. Do you fertilize on top or do you bury it. Its does make a difference!

/ Lawn Question Deux
What type soil do you have in OK? never been there , That's why I ask. Do you fertilize on top or do you bury it. Its does make a difference!

We have all types in the state, but my soil is either sandstone or clay underneath with a layer of really sandy loam on top...I suppose being near a creek may have something to do with that. I have never buried fertilizer, except for a couple Cherry and a Magnolia tree. I usually put on about 500 pounds of ammonium sulfate in the Spring and about the same of 10-20-10 in the Fall. Skipped this year though.

/ Lawn Question Deux #14  
We have all types in the state, but my soil is either sandstone or clay underneath with a layer of really sandy loam on top...I suppose being near a creek may have something to do with that. I have never buried fertilizer, except for a couple Cherry and a Magnolia tree. I usually put on about 500 pounds of ammonium sulfate in the Spring and about the same of 10-20-10 in the Fall. Skipped this year though.

Try burying it, you'll see a differnce. The roots once they find it really greens up the tree. On top, most of it runs off during rain. About the only kind on top that melts into the soil is the scotts brand for grasses. We had some minature azaleas that the boss said she wantd pulled up since they were not growing very well. I told her lets try the auger bit and fertilizer, now she doesn't want them up. They really greened up and have beautiful blooms. I guess it kind of like gardening, you bury the fertilizer along with the seed in most instances.

/ Lawn Question Deux #15  
The other option - Dennis - there are special blends of grass made specifically for shaded and "tough to grow areas". You might look into this and seed those areas with this specific type of seed. However - who am I to talk - - I've never seeded or fertilized out here. All my acre and a half of "lawn" is just tough old field grass and I mow what grows. After 37+ years it looks pretty good.

/ Lawn Question Deux
The other option - Dennis - there are special blends of grass made specifically for shaded and "tough to grow areas". You might look into this and seed those areas with this specific type of seed. However - who am I to talk - - I've never seeded or fertilized out here. All my acre and a half of "lawn" is just tough old field grass and I mow what grows. After 37+ years it looks pretty good.

Yeah, I have planted shade grasses, but pretty much at random. Next time I'll seek some advice as to the particular variety for that particular use.

/ Lawn Question Deux #17  
No grass likes shade, I prefer one type of grass for uniform appearance. Bluegrass does not look like fescue. Thin fescue still looks like fescue. Check what type of grass grows best in your location

/ Lawn Question Deux #18  
I do not know about your parts of the country but bahai (oldtimers: bahair) here in the south is a nusiance. It could be dry for 6 months and one drop of sweat would make a 100 acre field grow. It toussels and spreads its seeds everywhere plus critters carry the seeds also.