Lawn Boy problem

/ Lawn Boy problem #22  
I've got a Lawnboy from the early 80's that was over $300 IIRC. Sounds like dodge man's- self propelled, AL deck. Pushed it aside when I got a zero turn and it's been sitting for 20 years (yeah, with the gas still in it...) Willing to let it go cheap if someone wants to pick it up. Manual and extra blade too.

/ Lawn Boy problem #23  
I've not had good luck with fuel system parts off of Amazon or ebay. They seem to all come from China and either don't last long or don't work well to start with. Fuel lines especially seem to get soft after one season. Glad yours is working. Lawn boy mowers are tough and have good power especially for their weight.

/ Lawn Boy problem #24  
I love the old lawn boy mowers. But if you loaned it to your neighbor, you had to send a can of premix gas along with it

/ Lawn Boy problem #25  
Ordering off of Amazon may be part of the problem. Most of the replacement parts sold there are of low quality. You'll need to expect to replace most of them more frequently.

/ Lawn Boy problem #26  
I've got a Lawnboy from the early 80's that was over $300 IIRC. Sounds like dodge man's- self propelled, AL deck. Pushed it aside when I got a zero turn and it's been sitting for 20 years (yeah, with the gas still in it...) Willing to let it go cheap if someone wants to pick it up. Manual and extra blade too.

If you were closer I'd probably take you up on that. Good mowers.

/ Lawn Boy problem #27  
Success. I ordered a new primer setup, included a new primer bulb, the base and the primer hose. What should have taken 45 minutes took more like two and a half hours. The first attempt I’m guessing the primer hose didn’t get attached well, one of the screws holding the carb on is in the way. The second attempt I took the carb off, all the linkage fell off and I had to watch a YouTube video on how it went. That failed also as I discovered a gasket laying on the mower deck after pulling the start cord 20 times.

The third attempt was a success. I had my wife help me as getting the carb on with two gaskets and a metal plate (heat shield) in between the carb and engine is like trying to push a rope. It started on the first pull. I’m still not sure what was wrong in the first place but something with the primer, it’s base or the hose. Total cost was $7.55 from Amazon.
View attachment 849496

The next time you need to replace a gasket and it is difficult to hold in place, put a little heavy grease on it, the grease will hold it in place while you get the carb mounted.