Latest grab by auto manufactures

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #481  
Just looked at a new Ram pick up;they have a similar "scam"as GM,you purchase heated seats,remote start ect and in three months it won't work unless you subscribe to their service @$15 a month.
NOT doing it!
I'll walk away from both. I'll purchase it one time, with no strings attached. Makes my blood boil to think this is the way things are going.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #482  
I just bought a 2023 Buick from my local GM dealer. Yes, the remote start & heated seat features activated by the GM smartphone app do require an OnStar subscription. The remote start works using the key fob without the app but has a limited range. if you don't subscribe, the heated seats must be turned on from inside the vehicle. A 3 year OnStar subscription comes standard with the vehicle but costs $199/yr after that.

In my case, I keep the vehicle in a heated garage so I don't need either feature. The remote start could actually be a safety hazard if accidentally activated by a child or someone hacking the system.

I realize this policy su**s for others though.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #484  
Oh my goodness! You mean you have to push the button to turn on the heated seats!? What torture.
Oh my goodness! There are people that will pay $18/month to use a phone instead of a button to turn on heated seats?

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #485  
I have a question, perhaps a little off topic, but I understand that most new cars come with automatic braking action. In other words, if you are approaching another vehicle, the car will slow down or stop to avoid hitting the other car.

How does one get your can into the garage if it sees the front of the garage and stops ?

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #486  
I have a question, perhaps a little off topic, but I understand that most new cars come with automatic braking action. In other words, if you are approaching another vehicle, the car will slow down or stop to avoid hitting the other car.

How does one get your can into the garage if it sees the front of the garage and stops ?
Many of these systems, including the ones I have, won't function at low speeds.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #487  

Many of these systems, including the ones I have, won't function at low speeds.

I have owned both Subaru and Toyotas systems. The vehicles only brake when collision is imminent and will warn you before doing so. Both systems work well and aren’t bothered by pulling into a garage or tight parking spot.

Both also have subscription services available. All features still work without subscription except those specific to the subscription such as app controlled remote start and connected services. Toyota still allows remote start using the remote.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #488  
I have owned both Subaru and Toyotas systems. The vehicles only brake when collision is imminent and will warn you before doing so. Both systems work well and aren’t bothered by pulling into a garage or tight parking spot.
Same. Both my Outback and my wife's Prius stop at slow speeds, but it is about imminent collision. Unless you park fast, it is unlikely to activate. Heck, the Outback will sometimes stop for weeds out on my property...

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #489  
OK thanks for that.

Now another question, If your car has the 'traffic follow" feature that slows down the car when you are in traffic and the car ahead of you slows down. If the car ahead of you keeps slowing down, lets say the speed limit is 60mph and you have the feature enabled, and the car ahead of you keeps slowing down, say to 40, will your car just keep slowing down also ?

And if the car ahead of you keeps speeding up, will your car keep speeding up also, evan above the posted speed limit ?

I know these may sound like dumb questions, but my newest vehicle is 23 years old. So I don't have any of these features.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #490  
OK thanks for that.

Now another question, If your car has the 'traffic follow" feature that slows down the car when you are in traffic and the car ahead of you slows down. If the car ahead of you keeps slowing down, lets say the speed limit is 60mph and you have the feature enabled, and the car ahead of you keeps slowing down, say to 40, will your car just keep slowing down also ?

And if the car ahead of you keeps speeding up, will your car keep speeding up also, evan above the posted speed limit ?

I know these may sound like dumb questions, but my newest vehicle is 23 years old. So I don't have any of these features.
I use the follow feature at times. Yes, it will slow all the way down. The gap is adjustable, maybe 3-4 distances. It will only speed up to the speed you set.

Example. Speed limit is 70. I set my cruise at 75. Eventually, I get within range of a slower car. My car slows down and maintains the gap I set. The guy in front of me takes off like a BOOH. My car speeds up until it reaches 75 and resumes my set speed.

If you are not paying attention, you will often slow down and not realize it..going miles slower than your usual. Once you change lanes, it will go back up until it 'sees' a new obstacle. It is useful in light to medium long distance highway travel. It leaves too much gap for heavy traffic, even at the closest setting. Like with any cruise setting, if you step on the accelerator, it will do as you ask...but if you take your foot off, it will brake to resume the 'gap'.