Latest grab by auto manufactures

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #301  
While diving in italy on a motorcycle we used no maps. There is the sun. Its in that direction, so the road we are on is parallel to the main road. Okay, we could always get back. Never used a GPS on the 1000s of miles riden in the forest lands, and BLM lands of the US.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #302  
No I am saying when it is 101 degree and the "Ice Ahead", Bridges Ice Before Roadway Sign" is flashing it is time to let that appendage called a head we have sitting on our shoulders go to work and stop being along just for the ride.

Information we receive on GPD (Navigational Units) was inputted by a human. Humans make mistakes. Also companies or personnel inputting GPS traffic and roadway condition have Boiler Plate responses. If one of the Boiler Plate winter responses is accidentally deployed in the summer we as a prudent driver must be InControl of the vehicle not following the instructions provided by a electronic device.
So what's your point? When the sign says "Reduce Speed to 45" I reduce my speed. For all that I know there's a 20 car pileup ahead.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #303  
While diving in italy on a motorcycle we used no maps. There is the sun. Its in that direction, so the road we are on is parallel to the main road. Okay, we could always get back. Never used a GPS on the 1000s of miles riden in the forest lands, and BLM lands of the US.
That reminds me back to 2012 we had been in the Northeast restoring power for about a month after Hurricane Sandy and we were heading home for Thanksgiving, as we pulled out of Paramus New Jersey the boy that was riding with me says after about an hour of being on the road How do you know with all the twists and turns that you have made that we are going in the right direction? I laughed and said you feel that sun coming up over there on the left side of your face? He said yeah what's that mean? I said it means we are headed South sonny boy, and that is the way home. 😁

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #304  
That reminds me back to 2012 we had been in the Northeast restoring power for about a month after Hurricane Sandy and we were heading home for Thanksgiving, as we pulled out of Paramus New Jersey the boy that was riding with me says after about an hour of being on the road How do you know with all the twists and turns that you have made that we are going in the right direction? I laughed and said you feel that sun coming up over there on the left side of your face? He said yeah what's that mean? I said it means we are headed South sonny boy, and that is the way home. 😁
Power companies have gotten pretty good about calling in reinforcements, often before the power goes out. I sometimes see convoys of trucks, chippers, and bucket trucks with New Brunswick plates headed south in anticipation of a storm. A few weeks later I see them on the way back through, headed home.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #305  
Sorry your more recent post got 86'd... tried to like it but couldn't ;)

Well that tells me the mentality of the moderators, as it clearly wasn’t political and was the absolute truth!

Janet

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #306  
Power companies have gotten pretty good about calling in reinforcements, often before the power goes out. I sometimes see convoys of trucks, chippers, and bucket trucks with New Brunswick plates headed south in anticipation of a storm. A few weeks later I see them on the way back through, headed home.
Yes sir, power company's have reduced positions down to the point that they can't handle much more than a good thunderstorm so they get on the horn well ahead of time to try to get as much help as they can just in case, then if they don't need you they can release you and usually you get picked up by someone who did get some damage, we started out in 2012 in Baltimore but they had minimal damage and before they could cut us loose we got a call from New Jersey PSE&G so that's where we went and stayed until a couple of days before Thanksgiving, it was about wrapped up and most of us had already heard a bunch of wining from home about having been gone a month and not being home for Thanksgiving.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #307  
In this case, the manufacturer is building the car with premium features that are not activated in a base-price car. It is cheaper to build one premium vehicle than a variety of feature plus-or-less models.

I have been thinking about this part of your statement for days and think you are being very short sighted on things.
There may actually be things that might not be cost effective to leave out from the companies perspective but you are still paying more to have it in there even if you can’t use it.
Then look at the long term and the cost of said thing, once that company starts actually installing more the demand goes up, the cost goes up. Does the company then start leaving it out? No they simply raise the price of thier product more to cover it even for those not using it to avoid any possible loss.

If anyone thinks they are getting an unusable feature for free hidden in thier car or truck, I have some swamp land and a bunch of bridges I can sell you for very fair prices. Cash only!

Janet

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #308  
To anyone who is concerned or scared of being guided by GPS technology I would say this: Most of today’s cars trucks and tractors are driven by a computer via input from the driver.
Don’t believe me? Look up the acronym “PCM” or “ECM”. They’ve been this way for 20+ years.
Your “gas pedal” is just a potentiometer connected to nothing physically on the engine but wires to a computer.

Sure, you can still drive from point a to point b with a Rand McNally atlas or a AAA road map, but the very vehicle you are driving is operated by wires guided controls to a computer.

And YES, I do agree that not learning basic orienteering and NSEW basics by over reliance on GPS HAS dumbed-down our population in general.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #309  
Oh god the dreaded electronic throttle!

One of the worst things they ever did. I haven’t found one that works to my liking yet. Always a lag and no feel of the car. Didn’t people stop liking not having a feel of what the car was doing in the 50’s?

The only one still in use on our cars is in my BMW because it’s the only one my husband hasn’t been able to circumvent properly. He has installed a real throttle in everything else and everything is much more of a pleasure to drive. By the way I actually gained MPG once they were disabled.

Janet

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #310  
Yes sir, power company's have reduced positions down to the point that they can't handle much more than a good thunderstorm so they get on the horn well ahead of time to try to get as much help as they can just in case, then if they don't need you they can release you and usually you get picked up by someone who did get some damage, we started out in 2012 in Baltimore but they had minimal damage and before they could cut us loose we got a call from New Jersey PSE&G so that's where we went and stayed until a couple of days before Thanksgiving, it was about wrapped up and most of us had already heard a bunch of wining from home about having been gone a month and not being home for Thanksgiving.
Was that the storm where those clowns were throwing rocks at the non-union power company workers that drove 1500 miles to save people’s lives & property?