LARGER OIL FILTER

/ LARGER OIL FILTER #1  

3RRL

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
Tractor
55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284
I have a question about using a larger oil filter than the stock one on my tractor. I will modify my stock oil filter mount to accept it, without disturbing the by pass ports that it now has, would it hurt? It's for my 55hp Kama 554.

I was thinking about using one for the late 90's Cummins diesel. Here are the cross references:
AC PF1070
CHAMP LAB LFP780
FRAM PH3976A
MOBIL 1 M1403
MOTORCRAFT FL896
PURO L44422
WIX 51607

I would appreciate any input.
Thanks,

/ LARGER OIL FILTER #2  
3RRL said:
I have a question about using a larger oil filter than the stock one on my tractor. I will modify my stock oil filter mount to accept it, without disturbing the by pass ports that it now has, would it hurt? It's for my 55hp Kama 554.

I was thinking about using one for the late 90's Cummins diesel. Here are the cross references:
AC PF1070
CHAMP LAB LFP780
FRAM PH3976A
MOBIL 1 M1403
MOTORCRAFT FL896
PURO L44422
WIX 51607

Thanks,

With the exception of the "modifying the oil filter mount"..Id say go for it! In todays world..I cant believe there isnt SOME larger oil filter that will "screw right on" and give a large capacity. What actually has to be "modified"???

/ LARGER OIL FILTER
If it will help with better filtration (to some degree) I'd like to do it.
What actually has to be "modified"???
I have to make an adapter that will fit the 3/4 threads on this larger filter. The adapter will have to thread to the oil filter mount which now has a hole through it so I have to machine the mount and add threads to it and plug the hole on top The old mount has a "nut" that screws onto a post in the old filter cannister which has a paper filter around the post (not "spin-on"). Then I have to make the OD of the mount match the seal on the new filter. I will do that with another adapter I have to make from scratch.
I wish I could "see" what other filters look like maybe if one would work?...I bought this new one and was just going to modify if it wouldn't hurt.

/ LARGER OIL FILTER #4  
Having a bigger filter doesn't necessarily give better filtration. All it can do is extend the time it take to clog up and most people using utility tractors don't come anywhere close to having a clogged filter when they change oil.

There is a possible downside, too. Depending on the orientation of the filter AND how well the anti-backflow valve works, you could extend the time it take for oil to flow to the engine. If it's mounted vertically, it's not an issue. Any other orientation brings with it this possibility.

/ LARGER OIL FILTER #5  
Any idea what the particulate size specs are for the oem ?cartridge? and the new filter?

Soundguy

3RRL said:

AC PF1070
CHAMP LAB LFP780
FRAM PH3976A
MOBIL 1 M1403
MOTORCRAFT FL896
PURO L44422
WIX 51607

Thanks,

/ LARGER OIL FILTER #6  
Will the internal filter bypass have the proper specs?

Egon

/ LARGER OIL FILTER
cp1969,
Thanks, it does hang vertically. By "better filtration" I was reffering to what you said, worried about clogging up sooner? My main concern was I purchased a new filter mount with a screw on Baldwing filter as a retro-fit to the Kama. The Baldwing filter is a lot smaller than the OEM so that's why I was asking. The Baldwing is like a a car size filter...like on my Full size Chevy Blazer.

Soundgy,
Not exactly sure but 5 to 10 microns for both (this one and OEM).

Egon,
The internal bypass is built into the filter mount and it will be the same pressure setting as before.

The main difference is this new filter is much larger in size than the Baldwin...it is even larger than the OEM. My thoughts were with a larger filtering area and greater capacity, it might be better in some way? Exactly what way and all it would affect?....not sure, just seems like it might be better to go larger than smaller? If the Baldwin will be OK, and modifying to get a larger filter does not help in ANY way, it might not be worth it to do this? What cp1969 said is encouraging, I take that to mean I will have a cleaner filter to change at intervals. Or rather the risk of plugging up is reduce somewhat by larger capacity.

/ LARGER OIL FILTER #8  
A larger filter will add more oil to the sump, so instead of needing, say, 6 quarts for a change, you'll need 7.5 or something like that. It will take a while longer for the oil to come up to operating temp, but OTOH the oil will run cooler in hot temps.

It sounds as if you may be a machinist or something and making the adpaters you need won't be any big deal. Myself, I would probably just use the Baldwin filter you have because first of all I'm a lazy slob. But, there's another reason as well. If you think about it, the filter on you Blazer probably accumulates more hours between changes from a harder working, larger engine and does OK with the filter it's got.

That would become my rationalization for my lazy behavior.

/ LARGER OIL FILTER
cp1969 said:
A larger filter will add more oil to the sump, so instead of needing, say, 6 quarts for a change, you'll need 7.5 or something like that. It will take a while longer for the oil to come up to operating temp, but OTOH the oil will run cooler in hot temps.
I was hoping for something like that...Temps here in So Cal get mighty hot in the Summer (112°+). I tmight be worthwhile for that reason alone. I don't mind the added 1/2 quart or so.

It sounds as if you may be a machinist or something and making the adpaters you need won't be any big deal. Myself, I would probably just use the Baldwin filter you have because first of all I'm a lazy slob. But, there's another reason as well. If you think about it, the filter on you Blazer probably accumulates more hours between changes from a harder working, larger engine and does OK with the filter it's got.

That would become my rationalization for my lazy behavior.
Yes, I've done some machining. And you're right about the hours on the blazer...gives me something to think about.
Thanks,

/ LARGER OIL FILTER #10  
This thread reminded me of a product i saw.. maybee on tv? It was a band that was made of aluminum.. it was made to slip on an oil filter, and used a bit of heat sink grease and a band clmap.. it was basically a curved aluminum finned heat sink.. suposedly dropped the oil temp a couple degrees...

I've seent he same stuff for copper and aluminum lines.. to help them dissipate heat via increased surface area... I wonder how good they really work.

As to your situation.. the extra oil is a bonus IMHO. I've known guys that use a filter relocator setup just to use a larger than stock filter specifically to get a larger oil capacity...

Soundguy