Large Brush pile chipping

/ Large Brush pile chipping #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
I was approached by a new hay farming customer about doing some winter work. Clearing thousands of branches cleared from around hay field by previous farmer and trees he cut down. They were all hauled to one central pile-probably 10 years worth. Roughly measured about 175’ long by 50’ wide and 6-8’ high. Heres a view of it at about 7 am 16 degrees out. My Ram and a rental Brush Bandit 18x chipper on the other side of the pile.
Burning was NOT an option.

1643845994623.png

Here’s a view looking in the opposite direction. All the brush was tangled, from years of criss-crossing the material into a big tangled mess. My helpers, who have been with me for years feed the chipper, while I used the M135X and single arm log grapple to pull the brush out into manageable clumps. One clump could be stickers & vines, the next could be a 14” log.

1643846323769.jpeg

Back to the side where picture #1 was taken. You can see after a couple days. The clippings pile is huge. I’d estimate 2-3 triaxle loads. But we are making progress. It was pretty cold. Usually mornings were about 15-16* Thank the Lord for glow plugs! Lol

1643909646100.jpeg

Fueling up at 6:30 AM. As challenging as this work I do is, I love being outside with nature. Sunrises and sunsets are favorites of mine and although the money pretty much sucks, I wouldn’t trade it for an indoor job-even when it’s this cold.

1643846831579.jpeg

Another view early AM, making real good progress. In the middle of the pile is a ravine. They first started by filling the ravine with logs, limbs and brush. That material is too far gone to chip, so the customer agreed to leave in the ravine and let nature turn it to soil.

1643846917259.jpeg

Some of the older junk borderline for chipping. One of the challenges of chipping frozen logs is chips accumulate and freeze inside the steel chute, eventually clogging it. It takes 15 minutes to unclog and get going again.

1643847171470.jpeg

We are making great progress, a larger pile on this side of the ravine, but a warming trend with rain is coming, so we bugged out for the day. Will update the thread as the project progresses.

1643848082786.png

Last edited:
   / Large Brush pile chipping #2  
I was approached by a new hay farming customer about doing some winter work. Clearing thousands of branches cleared from around hay field by previous farmer and trees he cut down. They were all hauled to one central pile-probably 10 years worth. Roughly measured about 175’ long by 50’ wide and 6-8’ high. Heres a view of it at about 7 am 16 degrees out. My Ram and a rental Brush Bandit 18x chipper on the other side of the pile.
Burning was NOT an option.

View attachment 732032

Here’s a view looking in the opposite direction. All the brush was tangled, from years of criss-crossing the material into a big tangled mess. My helpers, who have been with me for years feed the chipper, while I used the M135X and single arm log grapple to pull the brush out into manageable clumps. One clump could be stickers & vines, the next could be a 14” log.

View attachment 732043

Back to the side where picture #1 was taken. You can see after a couple days. The clippings pile is huge. I’d estimate 2-3 triaxle loads. But we are making progress. It was pretty cold. Usually mornings were about 15-16* Thank the Lord for glow plugs! Lol

View attachment 732044

Fueling up at 6:30 AM

View attachment 732046

Another view early AM, making real good progress. In the middle of the pile is a ravine. They first started by filling the ravine with logs, limbs and brush. That material is too far gone to chip, so the customer agreed to leave in the ravine and let nature turn it to soil.

View attachment 732047

Some of the older junk borderline for chipping. One of the challenges of chipping frozen logs is chips accumulate and freeze inside the steel chute, eventually clogging it. It takes 15 minutes to unclog and get going again.

View attachment 732048

We are making great progress, a larger pile on this side of the ravine, but a warming trend with rain is coming, so we bugged out for the day. Will update the thread as the project progresses.

View attachment 732051
Pretty cool, fixed bid or hourly?

Best,

ed

/ Large Brush pile chipping #3  
Looks like a lot of work. I'm sure the owner will be very happy when it's done!!!

/ Large Brush pile chipping
Looks like a lot of work. I'm sure the owner will be very happy when it's done!!!
They are very happy so far. Let’s hope it all ends well.
My next step is to try to rent a metal-tracked machine. They have really gone by the wayside at the rental places in the last 25 years around here. I think a metal tracked bulldozer would do a perfect job of pulverizing the material frozen into the ground.
Maybe I can rent a metal tracked skid steer with some weight to it.

/ Large Brush pile chipping #5  
Happy to see you get the work and keep help busy but I don't let brush and overgrowth bother me unless the ground need's using for something. I posted to ask if Bois D Arc grow's in that part of country and if so what it sound;s like when a log go's through? I can tell you what it sound's like to hit a 100 year old 4" post with a bush hog.😲

/ Large Brush pile chipping #7  
What happens to the pile of chips when finished? around here they are in demand as guys use auger fed biomass boilers to heat barns and commercial shops, etc... so they be worth money.

When you say burning not an option why? Where I am field burning piles is common, quick and cheap as long as its done in winter months with snow on the ground.

here is vid of friends barn burning chips to heat a weanling barn... if closer he would be all over your 3 piles for sure.

The chips have a few possible fates including:
1. The neighbor may take a lot of them for their horse riding trails.
2. The owner will use a smaller amount of them for their RTV trails.
3. The owner will pay me to truck the rest of them off the property

/ Large Brush pile chipping #9  
so not worth any money just an expense to the land owner?
a little different than around here as coal is soon to become a no go.

In fact, the residential bark mulch manufacturers charge $3/yd to take them off your hands….