Land deal how to improve it

/ Land deal how to improve it #1  

rickyb01

Silver Member
Tractor
1976 Deutz 3006 1962 John Deere 1010
I was gifted my grandmothers old house place that sits on a hill. It is only two acres but I have always said I wanted to build my retirement home there. A guy owns 18 acres that sits around this two acres. About 8 acres has been used as a gravel pit. The other 10 acres has been left alone. When I called and inquired about buying it he shot me a high price and want move off it. I will never get my money back and I honestly think I知 paying double the value if I buy it. Looking at this aerial what really can I do with the waste land part. My family痴 land borders the west. I also want to control who lives around me. Outside of sloping the sides what can I do to make this look nicer. Thanks Rick

Attachments

• 7EB51D9D-0DBC-46B3-B8E4-C99DF6A5FBD4.jpeg
    7EB51D9D-0DBC-46B3-B8E4-C99DF6A5FBD4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 254
   / Land deal how to improve it #2  
Was the topsoil removed and stockpiled where the pits are?

/ Land deal how to improve it
I haven’t seen but a few piles. Any idea on how I can get grass to grow on them rocks? If I slope the sides of pits to make it safe and could get grass to grow it would sure help the looks.

/ Land deal how to improve it #4  
I haven’t seen but a few piles. Any idea on how I can get grass to grow on them rocks? If I slope the sides of pits to make it safe and could get grass to grow it would sure help the looks.

No idea how to grow grass on rocks. If you can measure the topsoil piles you would know how many yards of it you have. There are yardage calculators on most material company’s web pages. Then measure the surface area you want to cover. Again using a yardage calculator.

/ Land deal how to improve it #5  
Work out a deal with the city, county or state road department. Tell them they can have all the gravel they want IF they help grade off the sides to make it more manageable.

/ Land deal how to improve it #6  
You might want to check with your state. Down here, any area that is mined, rock, coal, etc. must be restored back. This includes filling in the pits, leveling and planting grass or trees. If you buy the land, make sure that the restoration cost is not passed on to you. That might make it cost a lot more.

/ Land deal how to improve it #7  
In my experience, if you do nothing, Mother Nature will find a way of taking over. Something will grow. Usually a lot more and a lot faster then you would expect. I would not worry about stuff growing there, I would be more focused on how to control what grows there.