Lack of professionalism in Sales: a rant

/ Lack of professionalism in Sales: a rant #51  
For years Used Cars were often wholesaled out the same day...

That all changed with the internet and thin profit margins on new vehicles available to those willing to put in the time.

All of a sudden, Used Cars were profit centers and Dealers that would not have bothered are in the Used Car Business.

Exactly

/ Lack of professionalism in Sales: a rant #52  
Its too bad more salesman don't have your attitude and ethics. I think stereotypes are applied for a reason and car salesman certainly have earned theirs. One thing I have never understood is why the auto manufactures don't seem to care or why they don't do something to clean up "their" salesman who are selling their product. I don't get it. All a person has do do is go online and check the reviews of auto dealerships and read the comments. The comments are at least 90% negative of the buying experience. Why do dealerships act this way?

Because Hiltz there are so many angles to make money from. In short, if the dealership gets product for nothing or close to it (your high mileage trade for instance) that becomes their mantra and it starts from the top. Also, dealerships will always try for the "lay down" or that person that can have the rug swept up from under them. This type of customer is getting fewer but they are still out there but they will attempt these tactics on everyone. I could walk into a dealership today, tell them I have 19 years of vehicle sales experience, and they would still try their tactics on me. You can see the off the street guy has little chance. Some dealerships are always figuring for the "score" and as a result, you are just another fish in the ocean to them. Very rarely would a person such as myself be tolerated at most new car dealerships as it is just not in me to "connive". I just wouldn't be a good fit for them and would refuse to play their games. I'd be fired before noon. That is why they like the young "kid". They can mold them to their way of thinking.

Last edited:
   / Lack of professionalism in Sales: a rant #53  
In 2007, I met an accountant though an investing group I was involved with who does accounting for many, many auto dealers. Among the thing that seemed counter-intuitive to me was that a dealer with a shiny, new build-out had no more business than the same lot-sized dealer whose build-out was old and had deferred maintenance. The single biggest different in profitability was how big their used car lot is.

I'd be willing to bet the used car lot included "off lease" vehicles. I don't think I know of a single better way to profit from one car than from a leased vehicle.

/ Lack of professionalism in Sales: a rant #54  
It seems the tone changes quickly once there is no trade or financing involved.

A cash sale sure does make it easier to follow.

I've only bought one new car for myself and helped dozens buy theirs and sold a number from my days at the family business.

My purchase was for European Delivery and even then 4 of the 5 Dealers were not listening...

All but one insisted on "Selling" me what was on their lot to the point of bad mouthing European Delivery... they simply didn't understand the ONLY reason I was looking to buy new was to pick up at the factory in Germany.

Had all but resolved to rent and went through the motions with the Dealer 5 and it was a done deal with two phone calls and a fax...

So there are straight shooters out there even if they are in the minority.

Still remember taking Mom to buy a new car... her one and only and unfortunately all the stereotypes were out in full force... really was an eye opener for her right down to outright lying.

Today... not a single one of those Dealers are still in business.

/ Lack of professionalism in Sales: a rant #55  
I miss the days when I could buy a car /truck/tractor (Ford) on the X plan or A plan, set price, below invoice, no haggling and the dealer (not a salesman) got a kickback from the factory.
The X and A plans were thru my employers, Ford Aerospace and Lockheed and Raytheon.
Decent benefits too...
Now I work for a podunk outfit, one of the triple whammy minority contractors, woman ceo, native american, eskimo...:thumbdown:
Guaranteed to get a government contract, never mind that they don't know how to do anything!
Terrible benefits

/ Lack of professionalism in Sales: a rant #56  
The trick is you tell the salesman your willing to pay say $20,000.00 for a vehicle. The salesmans eyes light up as he proceeds to sell you a vehicle worth $15,000.00 but he says he can put you in the car for $20,000.00 That is one of the oldest tricks salesman use on unsuspecting customers. Never tell a salesman what you as the customer are willing to pay. Its his vehicle he trying to sell. Dosent he know the price?

100 years ago (OK, 20-30 years ago even) that "trick" might have worked. But today, ain't nobody paying $20k for a $15k anything.

/ Lack of professionalism in Sales: a rant #57  
I don't get it. All a person has do do is go online and check the reviews of auto dealerships and read the comments. The comments are at least 90% negative of the buying experience. Why do dealerships act this way?
I would guess: If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.

/ Lack of professionalism in Sales: a rant #58  
7 year old thread revival heading down memory lane.

/ Lack of professionalism in Sales: a rant #60  
new software = thread revival. Happening on all the forums these days.