Labor Department bans children from driving tractors

/ Labor Department bans children from driving tractors #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
Apparently the Department of Labor has proposed a new Child Labor regulation that would prohibit anyone under 16 from driving a tractor. It has not been met with favor in rural areas and farming communities, as might be expected. It certainly will have an adverse effect on farm life as we have known it. Here's a link:

Child labor change under fire in farm country | Harvest Public Media

My apologies if this has been posted, banned or deleted previously.

/ Labor Department bans children from driving tractors #2  
I heard this on the radio this morning. Crazy crazy crazy. The DOL guy they interviewed said it was justified because "tractors are dangerous".

The government is out-of-control in regulating private person activities ... even on their own property.

MoKelly

/ Labor Department bans children from driving tractors #3  
I heard this on the radio this morning. Crazy crazy crazy. The DOL guy they interviewed said it was justified because "tractors are dangerous".

The government is out-of-control in regulating private person activities ... even on their own property.

MoKelly

Yep, it is dangerous. So is life. Teach the kids about life AND tractors....

Last weekend I was showing our oldest how to work the tractor. This must be the at least the fourth or fifth time we have gone over the tractor controls, do's and don'ts as well as what will hurt or kill. The oldest can finally reach the foot pedals and sometime soon I will let her drive the tractor.

She has gotten more instruction than I did when I first ran at tractor at age 16. She will be much safer than I was even though she is much younger.

The ignorant state employee is also incorrect. Tractors are not that dangerous. It is the implements that get you in trouble....

Later,
Dan

/ Labor Department bans children from driving tractors #4  
If this becomes law, the next thing will be scooters, ATVs, watercraft of all kinds, and especially riding and push lawnmowers. Soon, somebody will take statistics of injuries in baseball, football, and basketball and ban all of those. Heaven forbid that we'd let a child under 20 be a pole vaulter or high jumper. Don't even consider discus throwers.:shocked: The idea that government should protect every aspect of our lives starts small and creeps into every vein of our existence. Pretty soon we'll all have to feed our kids mush until they are 21 because we can't trust them with a sharp steak knife. Sheesh!:confused2:

/ Labor Department bans children from driving tractors #5  
If this becomes law, the next thing will be scooters, ATVs, watercraft of all kinds, and especially riding and push lawnmowers. Soon, somebody will take statistics of injuries in baseball, football, and basketball and ban all of those. Heaven forbid that we'd let a child under 20 be a pole vaulter or high jumper. Don't even consider discus throwers.:shocked: The idea that government should protect every aspect of our lives starts small and creeps into every vein of our existence. Pretty soon we'll all have to feed our kids mush until they are 21 because we can't trust them with a sharp steak knife. Sheesh!:confused2:

I just have to ditto all you posted Jim...well said :thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ Labor Department bans children from driving tractors #6  
But does the department of labor govern farming? I never worked for my dad growing up as a child there for was never an employee but just a family member.

/ Labor Department bans children from driving tractors #7  
But does the department of labor govern farming? I never worked for my dad growing up as a child there for was never an employee but just a family member.

The case they used was one where the family had made the farm a family corporation and as such, the children would not be exempted under the family farm rules.

Aaron Z

/ Labor Department bans children from driving tractors #8  
I didn't read the whole storey but I don't think the DOL has any control over a family farm and young family members operating dangerous equipment.

Probably more geared to the hired hand family living on the farm, makes sense that a youngster should not be doing it as a job his family is some how compensated for.

It's like me with OSHA I can have my kids work for me in my business and have zero OSHA compliance, it's only non family employees they are concerned with.

What could happen, is in general law, they could say that if you allow your kid behind the wheel of a piece of farm equipment, then that is reckless endangerment/ risk of injury to a minor. would be much easier to define and enforce if they spotted it.

JB

/ Labor Department bans children from driving tractors #9  
Seems like this would have been a bigger problem years ago when kids on tractors was more common. I can see a guy in the city buying his first tractor, then allowing it to be treated as an SUV/ATV maybe being a problem. Personally I hear more child injury's from driving vehicles than a tractor, but the law of averages may now effect this.

I'm kinda torn on this one.

/ Labor Department bans children from driving tractors #10  
If this becomes law, the next thing will be scooters, ATVs, watercraft of all kinds, and especially riding and push lawnmowers.

Here in Ontario, and much of Canada I believe, you're not allowed to drive ATV's or Jet Skis under 16. I know I'll take some heat for saying it, but I mostly agree with that, they're too fast and unstable for some kids and there have been a lot of young deaths to prove it. Tractors on the other hand should be left alone, they're a tool, and if treated with due respect, a fairly safe one. It's up to parents to educate kids on safe operation and make the judgment call for when they're ready.