LA, Los Vegas, Scottsdale, etc.

/ LA, Los Vegas, Scottsdale, etc. #21  
   / LA, Los Vegas, Scottsdale, etc.
THERE MAY BE HOPE
Scientists believe that there's more fresh water they just have to drill deeper
410 Miles deeper.
Now THAT'S Artesian

/ LA, Los Vegas, Scottsdale, etc. #23  
I always thought desalination was part of the answer. I know there are some plants out west, but costs more. And of course, it could be that Population is really the problem. Seems the average person is about 55-60% water. And population is a limiting factor because of food, and now water (with 3/4 of the Earth's surface covered with water. )

The concept that a large portion of the country could operate with water from the Colorado sure seem optimistic.

/ LA, Los Vegas, Scottsdale, etc. #24  
god-salt.jpg

/ LA, Los Vegas, Scottsdale, etc. #25  
I always thought desalination was part of the answer. I know there are some plants out west, but costs more. And of course, it could be that Population is really the problem. Seems the average person is about 55-60% water. And population is a limiting factor because of food, and now water (with 3/4 of the Earth's surface covered with water. )

The concept that a large portion of the country could operate with water from the Colorado sure seem optimistic.
San Diego has the largest and most efficient desal plant in the US. Each day, the plant delivers nearly 50 million gallons (56,000 acre-feet per year (AFY)) of fresh, desalinated water to San Diego County – enough to serve approximately 400,000 people and accounting for about one-third of all water generated in the County.

/ LA, Los Vegas, Scottsdale, etc. #26  
The most feasible would be pump from the upper Platte drainage to the Green River, utilizing the great divide basin as a storage reservoir.

And, install a bunch of wind turbines along the route to power the pumps. You wouldn’t need batteries, you would build pumping stations with a variety of sized pumps, and when there is enough power to run a small pump it runs. When you have enough power to run multiple pumps, and larger pumps you run them.

And, this whole issue is kind of humorous to me: My Father was a planning hydrologist for the Bureau of Reclamation’s Lower Colorado Region, in the seventies. He was telling people that the studies the Colorado River Compact, had been done during the wettest thirty year period of the tree ring records. (Central Nevada has bristlecones that are over three thousand years old).

He started telling people that if growth continued at the rate Pheonix and Las Vegas were growing, they would be out of water in 2010, and be in crisis by 2020. Everybody thought he was nuts.
Phoenix is in much better shape than Las Vegas. The Phoenix area does use some Colorado River water, but most of it’s supply is the Salt and Verde Rivers and the huge chain of multiple reservoirs on those rivers. And those supplies originate in Arizona and aren’t shared with other states.

/ LA, Los Vegas, Scottsdale, etc. #27  
When I see aerial views of CA, AZ and NV, I see houses with one giant swimming pool after another in the yard. Look at the fancy fountains in Vega. If water is short then they should ban residential swimming pools in many areas. I mean how much water is that per pool X millions of them. You got all those expensive homes with golf course looking lawns that are getting watered daily. People will have to start living a different way and accept that water needs to be used properly. Just got back from visiting family in SE New Mexico and folks there have rock gardens and cactus and mesquite bushes and salt cedars in their yards instead of lush lawns.

/ LA, Los Vegas, Scottsdale, etc. #28  
When I see aerial views of CA, AZ and NV, I see houses with one giant swimming pool after another in the yard. Look at the fancy fountains in Vega. If water is short then they should ban residential swimming pools in many areas. I mean how much water is that per pool X millions of them. You got all those expensive homes with golf course looking lawns that are getting watered daily. People will have to start living a different way and accept that water needs to be used properly. Just got back from visiting family in SE New Mexico and folks there have rock gardens and cactus and mesquite bushes and salt cedars in their yards instead of lush lawns.
Vegas has been moving more and more toward xeriscaping. When we lived there 30 years ago, there was a lot more lawns then. My MIL still lives there.
FYI, even a small pool is about 10k gallons.