L6060 PTO Engagement

/ L6060 PTO Engagement #1  

Hilbilly

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L6060HSTCC
Ever since I got the L6060 I would always reduce the engine speed to idle before turning on the PTO. Then I watched this video
and I was kind of shocked to see him engaging the PTO at full throttle, repeatedly. I double checked the Owners Manual and it specifically states to reduce rpm when engaging the PTO. I figured that engaging it at high rpms would shock the implement and the tractor. So out I go and get the tractor warmed up and then tried engaging the PTO, with my snow blower attached. I tried it several times and each time with slightly higher rpms. Even at 1500 rpm the engagement was very smooth with no shock loading. My previous Massey had a switch that would activate a soft start for the PTO but to my knowledge the Kubota does not have this feature, unless it is built in. This would be very handy for using the snowblower like the guy in the video. Drag the snow to a place where it can be blown and then hit the switch. I could use this around my buildings where there is limited areas to blow snow. Until now I have been plowing it a long distance to an area where I can stockpile large volumes.

/ L6060 PTO Engagement #2  
I don't know the setup on your 6060. My local Kubota mechanic advised engaging PTO at idle. If you depress the clutch as I have to and engage the PTO then the gears slow to a stop regardless how high the engine is wound. If you can release the clutch smoothly you should be fine regardless - other than the sudden startup of whatever is connected to the PTO at the time. He also advised depressing the clutch before disengaging the PTO to avoid wear on the PTO gear faces. Rather than having the engine slow the implement down I prefer to depress the clutch, disengage the PTO, then throttle the engine back. I suspect adding an over run clutch on the PTO would be a good idea, too.

/ L6060 PTO Engagement
My tractor is HST, like the one in the video. So no clutch. Engaging the PTO is simply done by pushing down the PTO switch and turning it clockwise. I was very surprised at how smoothly the snowblower started up even with the engine revving at 1500 rpm. I thought it would be a very violent engagement but not so. I am guessing that engaging it this way may not be good for the tractor, since the owners manual states the rpm should be reduced. Maybe the guy in the video doesn't care because it's not his tractor or maybe it is fine to engage the blower at full PTO rpm. I would like to here from someone in the know. Maybe I will send the video to my dealer and see what his techs say about it.

/ L6060 PTO Engagement #4  
I see no reason to start the PTO at high RPM. On my Branson and having the flail mower attached if I am above idle to much the belts of the mower bark when the PTO is engaged. I just always engage at idle.

So I guess engage the PTO at the lowest RPM that the Implement does not kill the tractor would be my recommendation.

/ L6060 PTO Engagement #5  
Many newer Kubota's use an electric PTO clutch, including the L6060. Yes, you can engage it at high RPM's but it will wear out faster. That's why the manual advises against it.

I do it once in a while when necessary but never with a heavy load like a brushog or bat wing mower.

/ L6060 PTO Engagement #6  
I'm sure glad the idiot doesn't use my equipment! He must either have lots of money or is an employee who doesn't own the tractor! The way he races around not only shows he has no concern for equipment but also shows he doesn't care for SAFETY!

/ L6060 PTO Engagement #7  
An unloaded snowblower isn't much of a load on the PTO, but I suspect he's keeping the rpms up while engaging because the full box of snow would kill the engine. That wouldn't fly in most of the snows we see in my area, as the heavy and wet snow would be too much strain on everything, like shear bolts, PTO clutch, and engine.
It's just good practice to engage the PTO at reduced throttle, and preferably not under any more load than is necessary.
I try hard not to be the safety police, but I would never operate my machinery like that, particularly with people around.

/ L6060 PTO Engagement #8  
I'm sure glad the idiot doesn't use my equipment! He must either have lots of money or is an employee who doesn't own the tractor! The way he races around not only shows he has no concern for equipment but also shows he doesn't care for SAFETY!

That's an operator. Those snow removal services will typically have a fleet of machines and it's all about time.

They need to complete their route in a specific amount of time, otherwise the customers start to call and complain.

Typically, there is enough margin in those businesses that the machine rarely are used for more than 4-5 years before they are replaced. At least that's how they operate around here, and I'm sure they can make better money in Ottawa where this guy appears to be located.

/ L6060 PTO Engagement
I see no reason to start the PTO at high RPM.....
As shown in the video and as I explained, there is an advantage for my needs. By using the blower this way I could drag the snow away from buildings, where there is no place to blow the snow and when I reach a location where it can be blown, then engage the blower and get rid of it. If I load up the blower and engage the PTO at idle, I am sure it would either plug the chute, stall the engine or both.

Essentially, my understanding is that there are clutches in the transmission that will slip when the PTO is engaged under load. So it only makes sense to engage at lower rpm's, like a clutch in a truck / car. If I revved the truck engine to high rpm's and then feathered the clutch to get a smooth engagement, I doubt the clutch would last very long. So back to my old ways of engaging at idle and then ramping up. Especially since I really like this tractor and plan to keep it for a long time. :)

/ L6060 PTO Engagement #10  
Guy in the video is ruining his machine. Just because someone can post a video doesn't mean it is correct or good. Engage at idle as the manual suggests!

Can you can use a front bucket curled out to scrape the snow away from the building then use the blower as intended?