Mowing L5740 set-up/combination

/ L5740 set-up/combination #11  
I run an 8' (7' working width) 1,700lbs flail behind my L4060.

A lot of it will come down to how fast do you want to go & how dense is the material. I'm a fan of wide & slow. Leff bouncing around for me & the machine going slow. Wide means I'm mowing the same acres per hour despite going slow.

Kubota L4060

Engine (net): 40 hp [29.8 kW]
PTO (claimed): 34 hp [25.4 kW] (gear)
32.5 hp [24.2 kW] (hydro)

5 horse power per foot of length = 40 horsepower. If the tractor is a gear tractor you are 6 horsepower short of recommended horsepower. If a Hydro you are 7.5 horsepower short.

/ L5740 set-up/combination #12  
We have a L6060 and a Land Pride RCR2596 setup in pull style. First and most important thing is that this mower doesn't have a CV PTO line... and that was the largest mistake. Turning is a pain, due to the universal joints, I can only turn from center MAYBE 25 degrees before the driveline starts binding. I end up having to do a lot of 3 point turns. MAKE SURE TO GET SOMETHING WITH CV JOINTS.

As far as being a good match for the tractor, I have NO issue cutting with it. I can sometimes bog the tractor down in the wet, tall, thick bamboo style grass, but I do cut very short, and if I raise the mower so it can clear the cut material, I have no issues. I more relate this issue to a flawed design in the mower deck baffling/shape. Actually... I shredded the slip clutch in the PTO driveline without even knowing it happened, so I know the tractor has more than enough power.

View attachment 641798View attachment 641799

NOW I am in the market to sell that mower and upgrade to a woods BW12 batwing mower. Due to having 12ft vs 8ft of mowing path as well as the CV driveline, it should cut mowing times by half.

You might want to look at the LP RC3712, HD 12' BW. The 3712 has 160/130 HP gearboxes, 3" cutting capacity, and optional driveline ORC, available from no one else.

I shopped for one before stumbling upon a "can't pass up" deal on a Woods BW15.50 last year.

SDT

/ L5740 set-up/combination #13  
Kubota L4060

Engine (net):40 hp [29.8 kW]
PTO (claimed):34 hp [25.4 kW] (gear)
32.5 hp [24.2 kW] (hydro)

5 horse power per foot of length = 40 horsepower. If the tractor is a gear tractor you are 6 horsepower short of recommended horsepower. If a Hydro you are 7.5 horsepower short.
Not mentioned in thise specs is I'm in Colorado where every engine is down 20% on power due to our elevation & lack of oxygen.

Good power to weight ratio for ground engagement. Could use a bit more for roading up hills & more relevant to this conversation, PTO work.

Being in Colorado we also are short on water as well as oxygen. So we don't get a lot of lush green grass & undergrowth. I'm going pretty slow in the bottom of valleys & what not where things get more water. Thick grass uses a lot more HP than brush or even light scrub oak. Because of the lack of thick grass I'm able to get by with less HP per width than others elsewhere.

Weight wise I wouldnt want much more than my 1,700lbs flail behind me. And its tight in to the back of the machine, unlike a rotary. No issues with a light front end (I'm lazy & have never removed the loader, only the SSQA bucket sometimes). The flail sliding & bouncing around back there, especially roading makes me worry about overloading the 3pt.

/ L5740 set-up/combination #14  
I've run a 6' rotary cutter behind my L5740 through 3' tall, thick grass and it handled it fine. I've also run a 5' behind an old John Deere 650 which is only about 17 engine horsepower and it was manageable, but had to take it slow and drop a gear when the grass got thick. It would lift the cutter but with no loader on the front it would lift the front tires off the ground pretty easily. I think you'll be fine with the 8 ft rotary. That's the beauty of a hydrostatic trans with infinitely adjustable ground speed.

/ L5740 set-up/combination #15  
Not mentioned in thise specs is I'm in Colorado where every engine is down 20% on power due to our elevation & lack of oxygen.

Good power to weight ratio for ground engagement. Could use a bit more for roading up hills & more relevant to this conversation, PTO work.

Being in Colorado we also are short on water as well as oxygen. So we don't get a lot of lush green grass & undergrowth. I'm going pretty slow in the bottom of valleys & what not where things get more water. Thick grass uses a lot more HP than brush or even light scrub oak. Because of the lack of thick grass I'm able to get by with less HP per width than others elsewhere.

Weight wise I wouldnt want much more than my 1,700lbs flail behind me. And its tight in to the back of the machine, unlike a rotary. No issues with a light front end (I'm lazy & have never removed the loader, only the SSQA bucket sometimes). The flail sliding & bouncing around back there, especially roading makes me worry about overloading the 3pt.

Time for an engine with a hairdryer...:laughing:

/ L5740 set-up/combination
Thanks one and all for the food for thought. I'll try to answer some questions. I cut all 40acres. Currently cut about every 5 weeks, would like to get it down to every 3 weeks depending on weather. Vegetation is mainly just pasture grass with a bit of dogbane. I have gotten rid of most of the gnarly stalky weeds and all of the Russian Olive. Clean pastures to date, not that rocks won't grow from somewhere. I take a pretty easy pace, I really enjoy it. My JD 110 PTO is just at the cusp for the 6ft pull behind. I would like to save a bit of time and not tax whatever tractor I end up with. I do like the 110. No complaints other than pto horsepower for mowing. My current backhoe use is down to 2 or 3 times a year. It is just nice to have when needed. I have considered purchasing a tractor just for cutting (m6800), but this L5740 just presented itself, I thought I should investigate and I thought I may save myself from maintaining a third tractor. As for baling, not yet, still improving the fields. Would like to though! I get the impression a twin spindle, 1600 lb, pull type is not too much for the tractor to handle or not to put me in any more harm's way. The CV suggestion is a great, I would have not thought of that. I run into the binding every now and then with my current set up.
Thanks again for all the input, it is truly appreciated.

/ L5740 set-up/combination #17  
Time for an engine with a hairdryer...:laughing:
Ya, but the L4060hstc was what I had the budget for. May upgrade to a L6060 once its paid off. Or may just cut back on the side work with it I do to justify/afford a nicer cabbed machine.

/ L5740 set-up/combination #18  
Ya, but the L4060hstc was what I had the budget for. May upgrade to a L6060 once its paid off. Or may just cut back on the side work with it I do to justify/afford a nicer cabbed machine.

Buy a used pre 4 one with a hairdryer. Lots out there on Tractorhouse for instance.

/ L5740 set-up/combination #19  
We run a 12' batwing behind our L5740 on fairly flat pasture that is only cut 2x per year. First cutting occurs in July so is fairly thick. Some spots slow us down but, overall, we are very impressed with the power of the L5740.