L4240 GST 1,000 Hour Service

/ L4240 GST 1,000 Hour Service #1  

LADPT

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240 GST & Mahindra 4530
I recently purchased a used [AFFILIATE=1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"]Kubota[/AFFILIATE] L4240 GST with 1,100 hours. I took it straight to a neighbor friend tractor mechanic to look over.

What major things should be assessed, adjusted, replaced at this point? Anything particular to check for wear?

/ L4240 GST 1,000 Hour Service #2  
I would have had a [AFFILIATE=1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"]Kubota[/AFFILIATE] dealer inspect and service it, not a 'friend'. That's me however. Download the appropriate manual on the net and follow the manual's recommendations. I never, never buy a piece of equipment without an owners manual and most all [AFFILIATE=1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"]Kubota[/AFFILIATE] shop manuals will be online.

One, you don't have a clue if it was properly serviced and two you haven't a clue how it was treated and or abused.

have fun...

/ L4240 GST 1,000 Hour Service #3  
The Glide Shift [AFFILIATE=1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"]Kubota[/AFFILIATE] has to be the one tractor I've never cared for. One, they are complex and two as they get hours on them, they are failure prone and expensive to repair. Not a shade tree 'friend' unit to work on. You have to know what you are doing with them, really a dealer item to work on.

/ L4240 GST 1,000 Hour Service #4  
Fortunately the 40 series is a stout machine, and unless it was beaten like a rented mule I can't imagine you'll encounter any real problems.

Until you know exactly what need be done, I'd replace all fluids, as that's going to be a part of it anyhow. Oh, and get at the grease points.

/ L4240 GST 1,000 Hour Service #5  
i'm willing to bet the 800 hours valve clearance check was not done. adjusting clutch and brake pedal wouldn't hurt. front axle pivot adjustment is at 600 hours.

like someone else mentioned, all fluids and filters on a new to you machine.

/ L4240 GST 1,000 Hour Service #6  
The Glide Shift [AFFILIATE='1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"']Kubota[/AFFILIATE] has to be the one tractor I've never cared for. One, they are complex and two as they get hours on them, they are failure prone and expensive to repair. Not a shade tree 'friend' unit to work on. You have to know what you are doing with them, really a dealer item to work on.

I grew up on a GST and loved it; that machine is still going, being as ill treated as ever, but that's another story. Have you taken the time to run a GST, even to just kill some time? They're buttery smooth.

20220717_182404.jpg

/ L4240 GST 1,000 Hour Service
I would have had a [AFFILIATE='1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"']Kubota[/AFFILIATE] dealer inspect and service it, not a 'friend'. That's me however. Download the appropriate manual on the net and follow the manual's recommendations. I never, never buy a piece of equipment without an owners manual and most all [AFFILIATE='1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"']Kubota[/AFFILIATE] shop manuals will be online.

One, you don't have a clue if it was properly serviced and two you haven't a clue how it was treated and or abused.

have fun...
Yeah he’s just checking for anything I might’ve missed. And will run on his dyno to test output.

I ordered the shop manual pdf and will get part numbers together for the [AFFILIATE=1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"]Kubota[/AFFILIATE] dealer to order oil/fuel/air filters and fluids.

/ L4240 GST 1,000 Hour Service #8  
The PDF (last time I checked) was free. A dyno (pto dyno) won't tell you much of anything anyway, except maybe if the main clutch is slipping or the pto clutch brake is shot. It won't tell you anything about the traveling gears or if the GST solenoids are working correctly. Why I would never have one, the complexity of the transmission.

/ L4240 GST 1,000 Hour Service #9  
I grew up on a GST and loved it; that machine is still going, being as ill treated as ever, but that's another story. Have you taken the time to run a GST, even to just kill some time? They're buttery smooth.

View attachment 779981
I have and still don't like them. When they work they are fine. When issues arise, it's always expensive. Besides, not big enough for my end ise.

/ L4240 GST 1,000 Hour Service #10  
I have and still don't like them. When they work they are fine. When issues arise, it's always expensive. Besides, not big enough for my end ise.

Well yeah, of course they're not the machine you need, that's why I mentioned just trying them out to kill time.

I'd argue that when they're working, they work somewhere well past fine. An antique off of Craigslist will work fine in the right situation, the GST may well be described as... fun.

I'll not own one, myself, as I'm a fan of my hydrostatic in this size range; however, they're definitely enjoyable to operate, and about idiot proof. If you can't tell, I've got a bit of fondness for that L that my parents still have.