Tractor Sizing L4060 vs L4760 - what makes the extra HP

/ L4060 vs L4760 - what makes the extra HP #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
...aside from "burning more money" on initial (purchase) startup :)

In the performance automotive world - the same engine can produce more power with an aftermarket tune... is that all they are doing is providing a different program in the ECU that makes the same engine make more power?

Sat in a cab on a L30something60... Sold me. Deciding between the 40 and 47 as I'll be trading in a TC45DA open platform... but if it is just the ECU - is there anyone aftermarket that can make a 40... a sleeper 47? ;) Like even just a factory 47 ECU / PCM?

"Asking for a friend" ;)

/ L4060 vs L4760 - what makes the extra HP #2  
The 47 is the same engine, no added turbo. So the added power is from more fuel. That'd be done through ECU programming. Maybe larger fuel injectors too. There might be other subtle differences to handle the higher heat load. In the motorcycle and automotive world examples of that would be added oil heat exchanger or larger oil squirters under the pistons or a larger radiator. A close reading of parts lists might tell you. I bet the parts cost just about adds up to the model's price difference.

/ L4060 vs L4760 - what makes the extra HP #3  
All Grand Ls except the L3560 use the same frame. The only difference is tire size & engine. Some of the bigger ones might have CAT2 ball ends on the 3pt. There are 3 loader size options for Grand Ls. The big one can only be speced on the L4760 or higher. It's either a marketing limitation or a tire size & capacity limitation.

I wouldn't mind more HP when roading or mowing with my L4060hstc. But it wasn't in the budget to go bigger. And the L4760 doesn't have a turbo, which would be handy for our lack of air here at 7,000' in Colorado. No HP limitations for ground engaging work though.

/ L4060 vs L4760 - what makes the extra HP
My bet is you are giving them too much credit - a stock mustang (as an example) adds a LOT more horsepower with just a quality PCM tune :)
BUT- your points might also make a lot of sense for a diesel... like - I don't know anything (well very much) about how injectors work on a diesel setup vs gas...
I'm not gonna build a franken tractor or cheap out - but it just seems a bit janky that everything is exactly the same in the "brochure specs" but there's 7HP more output...
My money is still on just a software change - that way they don't have even more part numbers to stock for repairs... which then makes me wonder if the Tier 4 / regen stuff is "more efficient" with a "hotter" 47HP output vs a 40HP output...
Or- I'm totally making things up in my brain to pretend I'm smart... and I'm not...
Would love to hear from a Kubota tech!

/ L4060 vs L4760 - what makes the extra HP #5  
a few random thoughts, on European cars, a higher power engine, even if the same block is used, is much more than software. example: larger water pump, larger brakes, often an oil cooler gets added,etc and that's not counting any interior stuff. I would bet it is more than just a 'tune'. And say you could magically tune in the HP, but the larger unit has the extra cooling, and bigger stronger internals, sure you could get away with it for a while...until your radiator screen gets filled with dust on a hot day...

Last edited:
   / L4060 vs L4760 - what makes the extra HP #6  
Sat in a cab on a L30something60... Sold me. Deciding between the 40 and 47 as I'll be trading in a TC45DA open platform... but if it is just the ECU - is there anyone aftermarket that can make a 40... a sleeper 47? ;) Like even just a factory 47 ECU / PCM?

4760 has larger loader with more lift. I was offered a good deal on a 4060 cab but decided against it because the loader. Ended up going with less implements and waiting a month and extending the loan a year to swing a 6060 which gave me a cat 2 3 point which I already have on what I am trading. Figured I could buy implements and upgrade stuff later except the engine HP.

Can’t speak to the engine as I’m not very mechanical and didn’t do a lot of research other than the turbo and cooling aspects of the larger models.

I’ve heard rumors of what you’re speaking of on JD models (no idea if any of what I was told was true). I think their pricing is fair on the extra HP between the lower, mid, and higher models given the bit of extras like the loader and 3 point that upgrade.

Matt

/ L4060 vs L4760 - what makes the extra HP
I知 currently deciding between the 40 and 47...
Does the A/C when it kicks on really drag on the motor? I.e - if I知 going from a TC45 to a L4060 with a cab and the A/C is on - how bad am I gonna feel it when pulling a 6 cutter behind it?

/ L4060 vs L4760 - what makes the extra HP #8  
I知 currently deciding between the 40 and 47...
Does the A/C when it kicks on really drag on the motor? I.e - if I知 going from a TC45 to a L4060 with a cab and the A/C is on - how bad am I gonna feel it when pulling a 6 cutter behind it?
I don't notice my A/C kicking in or out on my L4060. I'm at 7,000' so my 40hp is probably only in the high 30s. I run a 7' flail behind it. In heavy grass I'm tapped on HP & have to slow down. I ran a 5' rotary & the same 7' flail behind a 32hp L3200.

I wouldn't mind having an extra 7hp, but don't regret getting a L4060 given the extra cost.

/ L4060 vs L4760 - what makes the extra HP #9  
I don't notice my A/C kicking in or out on my L4060. I'm at 7,000' so my 40hp is probably only in the high 30s. I run a 7' flail behind it. In heavy grass I'm tapped on HP & have to slow down. I ran a 5' rotary & the same 7' flail behind a 32hp L3200.

I wouldn't mind having an extra 7hp, but don't regret getting a L4060 given the extra cost.

Old thread but bringing it up again ... I did an extensive parts search between the L4060 and the L4760 and the ONLY difference I found was the front axle (tires are the same), everything else is the same (engine components, intake, exhaust, cooling, hydraulics, frame, etc...). The extra 7hp must come from a chip tune and the beefier front axle supports additional load from the already capable LA805 loader (same loader on both tractors). Has anyone else found any other differences that I might have missed? Is there a current "tune" on the market to up the HP?

This comparison reminds me of the ONLY difference between a Ford F-250 and F-350 ... 1 extra rear leaf spring and a load block added to the rear suspension. Pretty cheap 'sleeper' upgrade to a F-250 to haul/tow more.

/ L4060 vs L4760 - what makes the extra HP #10  
Has anyone else found any other differences that I might have missed? Is there a current "tune" on the market to up the HP?

Not aware of any tunes coming out of US, but I believe if you do a search you'll find some coming from elsewhere. Have not seen any threads or anyone sharing their firsthand experience with them. Then again with the federal laws, they may not want to divulge.