L3901 vs. MX4800 Advice Please

/ L3901 vs. MX4800 Advice Please #21  
Advice Please.

I have to ask. How is getting in and out of the L3901?

My wife and I found it really awkward getting in and out of the gear drive L3901. Is that something we'll get used too or am I going to feel like I'm going to fall every time. We found it much easier to get in and out of the L4701. We are considering the L4701 or MX4800 just for the larger cockpit with the bonus of having better mowing capability.

I'm new to all of this land and tractor stuff. I bought 42 acres that is about 5-10 wetland, 10 field of varying grade, 2 of home/grass/drive, and the rest woods. I figured the 3901 would be a good mid range tractor to cover all of that. Not too big, not too small.

Right now I'll be doing snow and debris removal. I will want to take on the brush cutting of the fields, some trail construction and some small garden work on top of the snow removal. Once the junk and debris is done that task will likely become fallen tree removal and brush clearing.

All advice is welcome.

I have an L4701 HST and have nothing bad to say about it. However, but for a MX being slightly too large for a few of the tight spaces it has to fit on our place, I would have gone up to the MX for an overall heavier duty machine with significantly better loader capacity. There have been a few times it would have been nice to have the additional loader capacity of the MX but then I get in some space restricted area and am reminded why I went with the L4701. Although weight is very important for drawbar capability, it’s not an advantage for minimizing damage while mowing or for stationary operations such as running a chipper. Mowing, grapple work, gravel road maintenance, and running the chipper were the main chores for the new tractor. The lighter L, in my mind, had a bit of an advantage mowing although it’s still not a yard tractor. The MX had the advantage for grapple work. Either would work for road maintenance and chipper duty. The deciding factor was our numerous trails intended for a little Ford 8N that would have required tons of work to widen for the MX and the bush hogging in tight areas where the L fit better. Length and width wise, the L sans loader isn’t much bigger than the 8N despite weighing much more and having almost twice the PTO HP.

Unless you have size or budget limitations that preclude the MX, the MX is likely a better choice as a similarly priced but more capable machine. If you do have size or budget limitations, I’m my experience the L4701 is a fine tractor.

/ L3901 vs. MX4800 Advice Please #22  
My L3901 was delivered 2 days after Christmas last year. I went with that instead of the L2601 because of PTO HP. I would have liked a little larger tractor but $$$ was an issue. I also needed a FEL, BB. grapple and brush hog as well as a 24' bob tail trailer. Add to that chains, tool boxes, tools and assorted tie down accessories and it comes to way more than just the price of the tractor. IMHO any size tractor will get the job done, it just depends on how fast you want it done. So far I'm satisfied. I hope this info is helpful.

/ L3901 vs. MX4800 Advice Please #23  
I purchased the MX5800
I ordered the MX4800 over the L4701 because I will be doing no grass mowing with it and more utility work.
After I ordered the MX4800 I change my mind and upgraded for the extra HP
The MX4800 will have a bit more Lard in its back end for backhoe and dirt work than the L4701 will have and the Hydro. Pump pumps more GPM so operating a Front Loader or and Back implements that require Hydro. Flow will operated a bit quicker than the L4701 will.

I have absolutely no problems getting in or out of my MX. Lots of Room and I have never felt closed in when sitting in it to work. I can even turn around and do minor operations of my Backhoe while still sitting in the drivers seat.

Good Luck with what you choose to buy
i have the same tractor with bh. just turned 300 hours in 2 years. many times i wished i could climb on from the right side, the "passenger side".

/ L3901 vs. MX4800 Advice Please #24  
I started with zero experience with tractors about 20 years ago with a nice used B8200 with a Bushhog loader and rear blade. I had several hundred feet of fence to put in, and maybe 500' of gravel lane to clear and occasionally grade. My next tractor was a bigger one, a used L3130. Low horsepower, but much bigger- the deluxe version of L tractors, with a 6' bucket. I got it with a 78" snow plow. It could do a lot of work, just not fast. The R4 tires were tough on our "lawn" though, and I want something a bit smaller to get around in the woods. Both tractors were well cared for, and sold for what I had in them without any problems. Present tractor is a used l3400, with rear remotes and some other mods, like SSQA and extendable rear links. Just the right size, and does what I need, which is mostly snow clearing (not so much these days, thanks to climate change) and fire wood hauling. I have never had any problems with any of these used Kubotas.

With that experience, I'd say you want a bigger machine- acreage requires size and power. The deluxe Kubotas are really nice machines to use for the homeowner who isn't on them 9 hours every day. Buy the best you can- it'll last for many years, and hold its value, so don't consider it an extravagance! Too small, and you'll be wishing you had just gotten the right machine every time you use it.