L3400 Ties. More plys and possible Upsizing. R1 Tires??

/ L3400 Ties. More plys and possible Upsizing. R1 Tires?? #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Gonna try to keep this as short as possible, but just doing some thinking out loud and looking for some opinions and feedback.

For starters, I have about 550hrs, and the fronts are maybe 40-50%. The rears are closer to 70% but just this past week I was on a mowing job (well more like brush clearing), and about 2 acres was nothing but saplings. 2" and smaller kind and so dense that nothing grew under. Now I dont run sharp blades either, as to avoid puncturing a tire, but one poked through anyway. Left me with ~1.5" gash in one of the rears. Took 6 plugs to fill, and is holding, but I havent really used it since the repair, so I am not that confident yet. They are only 4-ply rears.

I can get new 11.2-24 6-ply tires locally for $240 each. And the same place has a set of used 8-ply 11.2's for $50 each. He said they were worn pretty good. Havent seen them in person yet, but the pics show maybe 40-50%?? At this point, I am more concerned with the structural integrity of the tire, rather than tread.

When I bought this tractor, traction was a high priority. I did alot of blading, plowing, digging with the FEL, and skidding logs. However, if I was shopping for a tractor today, It would likely be equipped with R4's, as my needs have changed. Any serious dirt work gets handled by the BH. And I can always cut logs in half to skid. Which pretty much just leaves me using the tractor for bush hogging, firewood, lifting things, and light grading. With the majority being mowing. Last year, I mowed ~120 acres. So far this year I have done ~20 acres and another 15 slated for next week.

given all of that, I have a hard time justifying buying brand new tires, if I can get used ones with higher ply ratings for lots less. And if something does happen, I aint out as much $$$. Which leads me into my next delima, Every since I have had this tractor, I thought it would be nice to have larger tires. More flotation up front for the loader, smoother ride, and slightly better traction and tad faster road gear. Looking at the ratios, my current 7-16 and 11.2-24's are about the same as 8-16's w/ 12.4-24's as well as 9.5-16's w/ 13.6-24's.

I dont see anything that would prevent 13.6-24's from clearing in the rear. And in the front, it looks like either the 8-16's or 9.5-16's would need a tad bit trimmed of the bottom of the unused part of the loader upright post.

Not sure which of the 3 combinations I will end up with, but whatever I do, it will likely be used tires given my situation. So if I can expand to a few different options as opposed to just one size combination, It should be easier to find something.

So with all that, What are some opinions on going larger? Am I crazy to want to do this? Should I just stick with OEM size? And what about the ply rating? Are 8 plys alot better than 6 and 6 lots better than 4 as far as puncture resistance? or is the differences mainly in the sidewall stiffness?

/ L3400 Ties. More plys and possible Upsizing. R1 Tires?? #2  
R4 industrials are going to be the beefiest most puncture resistant. Better flotation & less turf damage than R1 ags. R3 turf are going to have the best flotation & least turf damage, but be more prone to that type of puncture damage.

/ L3400 Ties. More plys and possible Upsizing. R1 Tires?? #3  
Oh, but changing tread types will mean new rims as well, so a fair but more $. You also need to swap all 4 at the same time to keep the rolling circumference the same (assuming yours is a 4wd).

/ L3400 Ties. More plys and possible Upsizing. R1 Tires?? #4  
I've been wanting to go a size larger on my L3800. I don't see any negatives in doing so. I'll stay with R1s' for my needs though. Interested in want others say about changing sizes.

/ L3400 Ties. More plys and possible Upsizing. R1 Tires??
Going to r4's isn't an option. Too much $$$. And not much used stuff out there. SL unless I meet someone locally with r4's that want some wore out and patched up AGS to do a trade, I am stuck looking at AGS.

I am surprised not many have commented. I can't be the only one wanting to go bigger?

As I mentioned earlier, local shop has some 11.2's in 8-ply. I will look at them Tuesday or Wednesday as well as seeing if they have any 12.4 or 13.6's. If they do, I will inquire about the appropriate sized fronts and make a decision then.

Also wandering, what is the best method for comparing ratios? Rolling radius? Rolling circumference? Or overall diameter? Using my current brand of tires, they each yield a slightly different ratio ranging from 66.9% to 68.5%. And even looking at different brands and models of the "same size" tire gives differing results. For example, I can compare two tires that are the "same size" from the same mfg, and one may have a larger diameter but a smaller rolling radius. Am I splitting hairs worrying about slight differences in measurements that most people wouldn't even look at? Heck, just comparing between Goodyear/titan and firestone in the OEM size of 11.2-24 and 7-16 there are slight differences. And if I wasn't looking to change sizes, I would never look at that and just "assume" they are the same. Is a 1/2" here or there worth worrying about?

/ L3400 Ties. More plys and possible Upsizing. R1 Tires?? #6  
There are a good handful of other threads with the changing sizes question in them around on here. Generally the answer is stick with stock, or figure out the front to rear rolling circumference ratio & stick with that. I think that the fronts usually run about 5% faster than the rears by design.

/ L3400 Ties. More plys and possible Upsizing. R1 Tires??
There are a good handful of other threads with the changing sizes question in them around on here. Generally the answer is stick with stock, or figure out the front to rear rolling circumference ratio & stick with that. I think that the fronts usually run about 5% faster than the rears by design.
That one of the points of this thread. Finding the ratio of stock tire sizes is easy. But rolling circumference, rolling radius, and diameter all give slightly different ratios. As do different brands of tires that are the "same size".

My stock tires are 11.2-24 rear and 7-16 front. And it is possible just by changing brands or tread design (still r1 though) to get as much as 4-5% difference in ratios.

/ L3400 Ties. More plys and possible Upsizing. R1 Tires?? #8  
Here's my "opinion" on this....
I personally don't like R4's, unless there on a backhoe, at least 24' rim's.
Anything smaller, the threads are too close together and they clog up.
My L4200 calls for 16" front and 24" rear,
I have 16" front and 28" rear's, R1's...(loaded), no traction issues.
The bigger the tire, the better the traction, put whatever your machine
can turn
, on gravel, grass, snow, mud etc, 4X4 is not a problem that I've had
regarding "circumference" issues.
On dry Asphalt, throw it in 2X4.
If you want traction, "big" R1's, and loaded is the way to go. IMHO
Your machine calls for 15" front,
if you can somehow put 16's on, without clearance issue's, Then "I"
personally would do it.
The engine size (horsepower) is what has to move these larger tires,
that would be my main concern, your L3400 is on the edge, when it comes to HP,
so that's something to think about.
I always wondered, why a small CUT with a hoe, (example B26) would have
14" front's and 16" rear's, and advised NOT to load tires....
just look under the hood, larger, loaded tires along with the weight of the hoe
could simply not handle the extra horsepower needed to pull these.
Most likely why they don't come cabbed, as well, the weight and no power.
Don't get me wrong, the smaller CUT's do have their purpose, as is...
just keep them, as is and you'll be fine.

/ L3400 Ties. More plys and possible Upsizing. R1 Tires?? #9  
Just have a boot or plug patch put in the tire you have. If tube type use the boot. If tubeless use the plug patch. Either will out last the tire.

/ L3400 Ties. More plys and possible Upsizing. R1 Tires?? #10  
Here's my "opinion" on this....
I personally don't like R4's, unless there on a backhoe, at least 24' rim's.
Anything smaller, the threads are too close together and they clog up.
My L4200 calls for 16" front and 24" rear,
I have 16" front and 28" rear's, R1's...(loaded), no traction issues.
The bigger the tire, the better the traction, put whatever your machine
can turn
, on gravel, grass, snow, mud etc, 4X4 is not a problem that I've had
regarding "circumference" issues.
On dry Asphalt, throw it in 2X4.
If you want traction, "big" R1's, and loaded is the way to go. IMHO
Your machine calls for 15" front,
if you can somehow put 16's on, without clearance issue's, Then "I"
personally would do it.
The engine size (horsepower) is what has to move these larger tires,
that would be my main concern, your L3400 is on the edge, when it comes to HP,
so that's something to think about.
I always wondered, why a small CUT with a hoe, (example B26) would have
14" front's and 16" rear's, and advised NOT to load tires....
just look under the hood, larger, loaded tires along with the weight of the hoe
could simply not handle the extra horsepower needed to pull these.
Most likely why they don't come cabbed, as well, the weight and no power.
Don't get me wrong, the smaller CUT's do have their purpose, as is...
just keep them, as is and you'll be fine.
This good info! But I would stay close to the right ratio front/back. Thanks!