L2501HST VERY hard to shift from low-medium-high

/ L2501HST VERY hard to shift from low-medium-high #11  
Get your penetrating spray out and lube where the shift linkage shafts go into the transmission case. Work the lever and spray more.....until it gets better. You will know it is the problem when reddish rusty oil starts running down from the shaft.

Last edited:
   / L2501HST VERY hard to shift from low-medium-high #12  
My L6060 has been like that since new and now has 450 hrs on it. Still does the same thing. I find that pushing the go pedal a little, while trying to shift is the ticket, as others have mentioned. Also if you are in 4wd then push the go pedal in the opposite direction that you have been traveling, while trying to shift the range lever. Once the tension is off the drivetrain it will shift. All it takes is a slight movement of the go pedal in one direction or the other.

/ L2501HST VERY hard to shift from low-medium-high #13  
Simply tap the speed control pedal when shifting....it will get easier(shifting) after some use. Tip from my dealer when he delivered the tractor....it works like a charm.

Yep. It's normal for it to be tough changing gears (been this way on every HST tractor I have run), but blipping the HST treadle will help.

/ L2501HST VERY hard to shift from low-medium-high #14  
My LS XR4155 is kinda like that sometimes but like most folks have been saying it’s pretty normal for tractors with HST, a slight blip on the forward or reverse pedal will usually make mine shift much easier.

/ L2501HST VERY hard to shift from low-medium-high #15  
The L series Kubotas all use basically the same basic 3 range gearbox setup. They are all notchy and hard to shift when new. The other posters gave good suggestions.
1. Keep the tractor clean. Dirt and grit tend to accumulate under the platform, binding up the gearshift and other linkages even more. I used air or water to remove the crud as often as necessary to keep it clean, followed by doses of WD40, penetrating oil or other stuff to lube and protect the linkages.

2. The gearbox will probably always be notchy. It probably wasn't intended that operators would be shifting all the time. But giving the shifter plenty of use will loosen it up a bit, and the practice will let you master a bit of "technique" for shifting... how to position the tractor so the straight cut gears are not in tension, for example... something that I can't verbally explain. You have to get a feel for it from practice.
Keep the linkages clean, work them a lot and don't give up on yourself or the tractor!
Every HST I've driven has been this way my former economy L3200, current premium L4060, JDs, Korean machines, everything. Clunky. My Kubotas have gotten a bit better after wearing in a but, but not much.

Pushing on the clutch if they have one sometimes helps. Letting the machine roll slightly so gears mesh, but not fast enough to grind (.1mph maybe) helps a lot.

/ L2501HST VERY hard to shift from low-medium-high #16  
My first couple--make that several--range changes on my brand new B series were a bit stiff. Gentle, steady pressure generally took care of it. After a hundred hours or so, it got better.

/ L2501HST VERY hard to shift from low-medium-high #17  
My Mahindra has the same problem. No doubt I should shift more often. Thanks for the tips.

/ L2501HST VERY hard to shift from low-medium-high #18  
I've found on my NX5510 that running the RPMs around 1600 or so helps quite a bit: probably vary for various HST tractors, but play around and you'll find what numbers tend to work. I find that this is more reliable than bumping the travel pedals. I've also found that cranking on the steering wheel can often help.

/ L2501HST VERY hard to shift from low-medium-high #19  
Even if you really don't have to use it, work those levers every once in a while.

Things like diff lock, range lever, PTO levers, 3 pt down speed control knob, etc, work those things and spray often with your lubricant of choice.

It really helps preventing things to rust solid and save money in the long run as it prevents from having to take the tractor apart to fix those stuck levers in the worst case scenario.

My tractor was also a bit stiff in the beginning but since I run the tiller on the orchards frequently and usually change from Low range to Medium range to reverse, it loosen up in to time. Now just slides nice and easy.

/ L2501HST VERY hard to shift from low-medium-high #20  
My L3700 is over 10 years old. It was never easy to shift and gradually got worse. I checked linkages and assume the problem I inside the transmission. I've tried 2WD, 4WD, Front tires off the ground, modulating the speed pedal, reversing, going forward, nothing helps. High range was always useless as I never drive it on the road and live in a mountainous area. Low could be of some use, I guess but with HST control and the power of the engine, Middle Range is fine for all the tasks I require.