Tractor Sizing L-series what size

/ L-series what size #1  

gordon

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4310hst-loader-hydraulic top link
OK here is the question of the day or should I say the next couple of years for me---What size L-series should I buy? I've been looking hard at the 3010 for doing grade work and brush hogging light skidding.

I would like input from other L-series owners on how much or how hard that you work your tractor for its size.
Thanks in advance for any and all input

Gordon

/ L-series what size #2  
Gordon - I'm still a novice tractor user and really can't compare my L3010 to other tractors however I'm happy to share with you how I use it.

Basically I push,pull,lift,brush hog,till,dig and drag. My L3010 is basically a helper that doesn't complain. I recently started using a medium duty 5' Bush Hog model 12, and it pushes the limit on the L3010HST PTO HP. Everything else seems to work pretty well.

If your going to look hard at the Grand L series don't forget to seriously consider getting an HST no matter which one you choose.

The majority of my work with the L3010 is for small scale farming of field and woods plants.

Kevin

/ L-series what size #3  
Gordon - I don't need to say much about what I use my L4310HST for, but I'd say you should opt for the L3710, at least. You get 4 cylinders that way, which adds to the smoothness, not to mention the extra horsepower.

Mark

/ L-series what size
Good point Mark I guess I was dreaming giving up that much horsepower from what I have now, but I like the smaller package.

Was looking at loader specs for the tractors and the breakout and lifting power is much different for the 481 and 681 loader so my head spins on./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Guess I should just break down and go with the 4610
Gordon

/ L-series what size #5  
Gordon, this is good. I new you would come around. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
You just wouldn't be happy anything else!! Ithink thats what I did??
RICH

/ L-series what size #6  
Gordon, from the descriptions you've given of the work you do, I'll have to admit I was surprised when you talked about getting a smaller tractor. Sounds like you're now coming out of your memory lapse./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ L-series what size #7  
Yes that goes for me too I was shocked you were considering the smaller L's. I started out looking at the smaller units but I soon realized that they were not enough power! As you all know I chose the 4310 hst/cab which by the way I added the radio yesterday I got a little carried away !!! 40 watts per/ch am/fm/cd ( total system cost 175.00 and easy to install. I dont know if the factory cab would hinder you with skiding logs or not but it sure is nice. Also I have found that I can easily fill the 72" bucket ( heaped ) with even wet manure in 2wd.

Mike

/ L-series what size #8  
Gordon - As you've discovered, it's worth the difference to at least go to the smallest tractor the 681 loader will fit on. There's a lot more power, and usefullness, there.

Mark

/ L-series what size
I hate to overbuy and also underbuy as well. This is a very hard decision for me. It's easier for me to decide on a piece of property than a tractor. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
As of right now it will be a larger hst L-series. Still wheeling the numbers and specs
Gordon

/ L-series what size
My L-3750 has got a cab I really like it keeps the limbs out of the face and warm in the winter but I believe on this tractor I won't be getting the cab at this point and time. Glad your happy with your new purchase.
Gordon