Kubota

/ Kubota #1  

Anonymous Poster

After over 1 year of looking for a tractor, and discounting New Holland and John Deere (wife couldn't reach the HST pedals on JD), I've narrowed my tractor quest down to two tractors. I want to purchase the Kubota 2910 or 3710, either with HST and respective front-end loaders.

I have a driveway of 1/3 mile (in southern Michigan [snow!]), approximately 9 acres of grass of which 4 acres will be brushed and the remainder finish mowed. The drive will require annual maintenance. Additionally, I have 4 piles of dirt to move (from drive installation) and 8 acres of woods to maintain (cut up trees, yank a few stumps, etc.). I may wish to dig a small pound sometime in the distant future (front-end loader work only).

I've been to too many dealers to list, each varying considerably in opinion. A dealer I respect said the 2910 would do everything I could throw at it. Looking at the 2910, next to a 3710, it's hard to fully understand what each tractor is capable of. The wife likes the 2910 as she is intimidated by the size of the 3710. I prefer the HST pedal and operation of the 3710 to the HST pedals (one for forward and one for back) of the 2910.

I've never so much as owned a riding lawn mower. I am an engineer and work on cars/trucks without any difficulties. We lease the majority of our land to a farmer and will most likely continue to do so for some time.

ANY insight/thoughts/recommendations/suggestions or input will be appreciated.

/ Kubota #2  
JayD, either one will do the job. The bigger one will just do it faster is all. The exception might be to "yank a few stumps." Naturally the bigger, heavier tractor can get more traction and can pull a bigger stump. Either one will have plenty of power to spin the wheels.

Bird

/ Kubota #3  
Jeepers Jay, I feel real sorry for you. What a serious dilema you have. Kind of like having to choose between Cindy Crawford or Heather Locklear because both of them are hot for you. Both are awesome tractors. How does the relative cost of the 2 affect your decision? If You don't mind spending the extra $, how could you go wrong with the bigger tractor? (assuming mneuverability and parking are not limiting factors for you)

/ Kubota #4  
JayD, I just got my new 3710 about three weeks ago. I know it will do all of what you are asking for since my needs were very similar. One of the reasons I jumped to the 3710 was the specs on the loader. These were significantly higher than the other models. Since I managed to maintain the road, move dirt piles (with rear scoop), brush hog, and clear woods with an old 8N I would think the 2910 would also work. If you think you might ever do something with the other land I would definitely push to the larger.

Don't expect to get those stumps out quickly and easily with either one. I found that half rotten stumps come out easily. With the others, I have to pretty well dig them out, can't really pull them out. Tried to dig out a clump of 3" will stumps spread over an 8 foot area recently. After digging down some 3-4 feet found the all came together into a single stump and had been buried by a shifting creek. Dug another 2 feet before I got them.

By the way, might be another advantage to the 3710. If the wife is intimidated by it, it means more time on the tractor for you!

Glenn

/ Kubota #5  
Jay,by the sounds you and your wife have done your home work....and that was the hardest part,the next steps shall be easrier.
Bigger is always better when it comes to alot of work and not much time.

I agree with Bird, for the 2910 will indeed do what you need, also after the heavy work done the 2910 still a great all round tractor.

Glad to read that your wife also show interest,so have a spare key made. :eek:)

May you and your family have a fine weekend.

Thomas..NH

/ Kubota #6  
Go with the bigger one you will be happy with the extra power. If the wife won't go for it the little one still is an awsome tractor. No matter what size tractor I'm on I always need alittle more power at times.
But there isn't much difference with the 3710 and the 4310 in size but the 4310 has even more power. Thats the toolman talking in me I guess, but it's something to think about if you are looking at the 3710.

What is the difference with the hst pedals on the two tractors? thanks
Gordon

/ Kubota
The 2910 has a fwd and a seperate reverse pedal where the 3710 has a one pedal set-up (rocker pedal). Thanks for the reply.

/ Kubota #8  
Go for Cindy no Heather no wait Cindy no go for Heather no now my mind is made up Cindy well no go for Heather---PaulB I see what you mean that is one tough choice I just wish I had the real chance to make it./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Wouldn't that be nice.
Gordon

/ Kubota #9  
I was looking at the current lineup of Kubota, and do not see at 2910 at all, so I imagine it has been discontinued in favor of the March 2000 introductions of the L2500 or L3000 tractors. The L3710 is a current producion tractor and is the same physical size as the L4310 which has a February 2000 slightly improved model in the L4610. Most of the 2000 models did not increase cost, but had distinct performance or capability improvements. Dealer want to move their old stock, so research carefully. All the Kubota L series have tilt wheel, adjustable seat, and all the comforts. She will feel just as home on the larger tractor once she tries it.

The one pedal HST is the only way to go according to many owners on this board. There is not a lot of difference in cost and your wife will not be intimidated by the size when she sees that she can see better and has less dust when dry when mowing. The loader is also more capable and can handle slightly larger implements saves time in mowing. By the time you mow 9 acres regularly, she won't be intimidated by the L4610 for a second! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Many people keep tractors for a lifetime, and you will find many uses that you did not think of. They lift lots of things that you cannot. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Kubota #10  
Oops, Bet that 2710 was a B model instead of an L. There may be compelling reasons for the smaller tractor. i.e. fits in barn to clean out stalls or all my trees are 5 ft apart, etc. Otherwise the larger one is a lot more capable for most general purpose jobs.