Buying Advice Kubota ZD323 vs GR2120

/ Kubota ZD323 vs GR2120 #1  

525fury

Tractor
Kubota L3010 GST
I currently cut about 3.5 acres weekly, and my T1760 is about wore out. Looking to upgrade to a diesel and am considering the ZD323 or the GR2120.
My 5 acres does have some slope in places; some ditches, back by a creek, and a slope by the road. Looking for something that is stable on hills and can climb straight up in and out of ditches (due to lots of trees in the back), and safely transverse sideways across a slope.

My 48" deck does a good job, but cut quality could be better. In some places the 48" deck is tight back by the treed areas. I have some concern with a 60" deck in some places. A 54" deck would not be as "tight".

Test drove both models in the parking lot at a Kubota dealer ship yesterday. I am not sure if the ZD323 would be sketchy when climbing up and down ditches and hills; This is where I think the GR2120 would have an advantage.
The ZD323 would definitely shine in the 3 "open" acres I cut.

The general manager at the dealership said hands down, get the ZD323.

What are your experiences with these two machines?
What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for helping me buy the right mower!!!

/ Kubota ZD323 vs GR2120 #2  
I have never driven the ZD but I did buy a new GR2120 this past summer.I was very impressed with the GR on hills and slopes.Basically if you can hold yourself in the seat it will take you where you want to go.It also causes very minimal turf damage when turning,I don't know about the ZD.The cut quality seems very good as the GR has a 5 inch deep deck, as the ZD probably does as well.The reason I went with the GR,over a zero turn,is because my property has quite a few slopes and side hills and I think the GR is better for that.If my property was mostly flat I would have bought a zero turn as they will mow faster than a GR.

Last edited:
   / Kubota ZD323 vs GR2120 #3  
I have the ZD323 that we use to keep a few acres of rural fields under control. Don't know anything about the GR so I can't offer a comparison. My ground stays wet most of the spring including ponding and the ZD just does its thing without much complaint. The only upgrade, if you want to call it that, are the tires, the turf tires were worthless, an area of wet and they would load-up with mud and turn in to slicks.

I no longer get stuck but I have to admit, I miss those long walks back to the barn to get a tow vehicle, NOT!

One of the perceived issues with zero turns is on slopes, folks think the tilt will force the front wheels to turn down hill. This is true on the less expensive machines at the big box stores (been there and done that) but not the ZD, it has good weight and plenty of power to keep the machine under control. The ZD is also a dream to run, very comfortable and its controls are precise and linear allowing good agility.

2013-06-24 19.13.40.jpg

/ Kubota ZD323 vs GR2120 #4  
You absolutely have got to try the ZD out on your property! That is the only way to know if it will work for you. I suspect it will be fine-and if it does, that is the only choice, in my opinion.

As Monster said, the difference between a residential Z and a commercial one on slopes is substantial.

Will

/ Kubota ZD323 vs GR2120
I agree. I want to try each machine and see what works best for my property. The ZD might surprise me once I get on it here. I just don't want to make a $13,000 mistake.

After talking with my brother last night, looks like I am gonna have to try a third mower to the list to demo; He has a FSeries (2690?) and loves it. He has had it about 13 years and has 2100 hours on it. Those are quite expensive, so not sure I want to swing that much money. He is gonna bring it over soon and let me try it also.

Keep the replies coming and I will post up when I demo a unit here!

/ Kubota ZD323 vs GR2120 #6  
The F series was my first choice, interesting capabilities, but it didn't come close to fitting the budget so I had to compromise. Good luck finding the best machine for your needs. Long live the diesel.

/ Kubota ZD323 vs GR2120 #7  
I traded off a ZD331 for a second F3680 a few months ago if that tells you anything. Am mowing more area than you however. Still have a GR2120 with turbo bagger for clean up work. The F series(4WD) are best on hills- up, down and sideways. The ZD331 would climb every slope I tried it on, side hilling would have to crab it (turf tires), down a slope could turn into a sleigh ride when the drive wheels lost traction.
The GR climbs well up to a point where it will stop pulling, no whine from transmission or slipping of turf tires. Down hill stays under control but without a seat belt I have to keep myself pushed back on the seat. Side slopes I will not run anywhere I would on the other machines.

Last edited:
   / Kubota ZD323 vs GR2120 #8  
Don't try the F unless your ready to make the deal. It outshines all other mowers. I've owned 3 or 4. I sold 2 and bought my first one back after trying a ZD, the one mentioned in the post above.

/ Kubota ZD323 vs GR2120 #9  
I have the ZD323 that we use to keep a few acres of rural fields under control. Don't know anything about the GR so I can't offer a comparison. My ground stays wet most of the spring including ponding and the ZD just does its thing without much complaint. The only upgrade, if you want to call it that, are the tires, the turf tires were worthless, an area of wet and they would load-up with mud and turn in to slicks.

I no longer get stuck but I have to admit, I miss those long walks back to the barn to get a tow vehicle, NOT!

One of the perceived issues with zero turns is on slopes, folks think the tilt will force the front wheels to turn down hill. This is true on the less expensive machines at the big box stores (been there and done that) but not the ZD, it has good weight and plenty of power to keep the machine under control. The ZD is also a dream to run, very comfortable and its controls are precise and linear allowing good agility.

View attachment 343908

Just curious.... I'm looking at the same style tires for my ZD326. Which ones did you put on yours? Carlisle Tru Power I think were the ones I eyed up. Thanks!

Dave

/ Kubota ZD323 vs GR2120 #10  
Looks like you've dug up a post from a couple of years ago.:) I was reading my input and had to smile. Since my last post I've bought two Zero turns. My first a couple months ago the small gas Kubota and last week a ZD326rp. I bought the small Z because my wife said she'd help with some of the home site mowing. It was pretty impressive so I traded my F2680e 72" side discharge deck to a ZD326rd 60" rear discharge deck (hate side discharge decks and love rear discharge decks). Have put about 4 hours on the ZD326 and I have to say it has impressed me. I need maneuverability more than speed at my rental property which is where I bought he ZD326 to be used. It is quicker in between the rental units but not as fast as the F on the open rough field areas because it rides rougher than the F. I brought the ZD326 home to hillside land and it has really surprised me. I let air out of the tires to about 16lbs vs the factory recommended 17lbs but it had 24lbs when I first used it. Makes a difference. The ZD climbed every hill I tried it on but the front scared me fearing it might rare back on me and flip. The ZD326 was much more stable coming down the hills than the small Z but grass was dry.
I won't give up my F3080 4wd 72" rear discharge deck for a Z on my hillside property but as an additional mower it will work.
Dealer and two employess of his were really against the rear discharge deck because they said it would clump the grass. They were all three wrong. I've owned 4 or 5 rear discharge decks and they are the only way to go for me and I've owned a lot more side discharge decks. Love the rear discharge and hate the side discharge deck.:cool2: