Kubota Z726 dies when I take foot off parking brake.

/ Kubota Z726 dies when I take foot off parking brake. #1  

Rowdy Redneck

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE HST
The title pretty much sums it up. Last December I bought a used Z726 with around 700 hours off Iron Planet. After replacing the battery I mowed a couple of acres out back with it. Last month I did a little more cutting with it. This morning I started it up and it cranked great, but when I took my foot off the parking break it died. I even let it run a few minutes and tried again. I tried with the throttle on both high and low, always the same result. Last month my father in law and I did attach a light bar. That is the only thing I have messed with.

Went back out this evening and took the seat off. I disconnected the switch from under the seat, then plugged it back in. The mower wouldn't crank until I held down the button. But even with me holding down the button the mower died when I took my foot off the brake. Picture shows the switch I'm referring to.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter. The yard is starting to look a little rough and I really don't want to pull out the 22" push mower!

IMG_20210326_195135964.jpg

/ Kubota Z726 dies when I take foot off parking brake.
Hi Mo, thanks for your reply! I'm assuming by PTO you mean the blades turning? It is turned off and when I try to turn it on the motor dies, even with the parking brake on.

/ Kubota Z726 dies when I take foot off parking brake. #4  
Hi Mo, thanks for your reply! I'm assuming by PTO you mean the blades turning? It is turned off and when I try to turn it on the motor dies, even with the parking brake on.

Yes - that is what I meant.

It sure sounds/acts like a safety switch is messing up. Maybe, somehow, when you attached the lights you accidentally got a safety switch messed up? Sorry - that is all I have to offer.

I’m sure folks on here with Kubota zero turns will help you out better than me.

MoKelly

I appreciate the response! It sure seems like I would have jacked something up when adding the light bar. Seems like a bit of a coincidence otherwise.

/ Kubota Z726 dies when I take foot off parking brake. #6  
Kubota ZTRs are one of the odd ones I've seen that have the seat switch in the crank circuit. Normally the condition you describe is a seat switch /circuit failure. Yet activating the switch allows it to crank, the PTO switch wanting to kill the engine also goes back to the seat switch or wiring for the seat switch. It is possible on some that this circuit runs through the switches for the drive arms.
So without a wiring diagram, I'd move through the harness checking these switches / connectors and for a damaged harness between. If you see a 4 pole switch at the drive handles, many times 2 or normally open and 2 are normally closed.

/ Kubota Z726 dies when I take foot off parking brake. #7  
Foot brake switch almost has to be part of this. Any 3 wire switch typically does something in both positions. That's why/when sometimes unplugging one, say seat switch isn't always simple.

/ Kubota Z726 dies when I take foot off parking brake. #8  
Was working on a Z125 a couple weeks ago with start issues and that seat switch has four wires and 3 of them are hot in the crank position. The seat switch isn't a direct path for the safety system, but is wired into relay trigger circuit,

Thanks for the thoughtful replies everyone! I am definitely a bit over my head but do enjoy learning and trying to overcome obstacles. It looks like the wires terminate with the seat switch. I have no problem going to get a new switch if that would seem to be the issue.

Seat switch circuit problem.

Rick, are you referring to the wiring to the seat switch instead of the switch itself? Would it be a matter of needing to replace wires or could I have messed something up and got a bad connection when I disconnected the battery to install the light bar?