Kubota wheel and loader nut torque.

/ Kubota wheel and loader nut torque. #1  

scootr

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200 HST, 773 Bobcat, Cat forklift
I just took ownership of a MX5200 with 147 hrs on her. THe owner told me to keep th ewloader and wheel nuts tightened. After putting 1 hour on the machine I took the 1/2" 18v electric impact and a 24mm socket to these bolts. I was surprise to see some loader bolts turn 1/2 revolution or so. Keep up on this routine or pay the piper!

/ Kubota wheel and loader nut torque. #2  
You put a gun with unknown torque output on bolts that have never had that gun on them and are suprised to see them turn?

Use the machine and check them again. If you want an easier way mark all the bolts/nuts with a paint pen then check visualy.

/ Kubota wheel and loader nut torque. #3  
While I suppose that some more delicate parts of a machine call for a torque wrench, wheel and loader nuts will be fine with what I have done all my life. Use a standard hand wrench and the T4tight principle.

/ Kubota wheel and loader nut torque. #4  
NEVER, never use an impact wrench to tighten ANY bolt. Impact wrenches are fine for loosening them but tightening them, that is a big NO. Always snug them up and then use a torque wrench to set them to the torque spec listed in your owners manual or online (many sources for prevailing torque specs online for metric as well as SAE fasteners).

Reason being is, using an impact wrench to tighten a bolt, you can be stretching said bolt close to it's yield point and promoting failure.

Even a cheapo beam torque wrench is better than an impact and HF sells inexpensive (as well as more expensive) torque wrenches for a reasonable price.

/ Kubota wheel and loader nut torque. #5  
While I suppose that some more delicate parts of a machine call for a torque wrench, wheel and loader nuts will be fine with what I have done all my life. Use a standard hand wrench and the T4tight principle.
If I used my 1/2" drive Thor impact wrench to tighten ANY bolt on my tractors, I bet I could twist all of them off, no problem. Far as wheels go, there is is specific torque value for them as well. My Kubota's take 175 foot pounds on the wheel nuts where as my car takes 110 foot pounds on the lug nuts.

If anything and you insist on using an impact to tighten bolts, invest in a set of 'Torque Sticks' and use them. Each one will have a specific torque yield value.

Delicate has nothing to do with it. Yield on a bolt or stud has everything to do with it...

/ Kubota wheel and loader nut torque. #6  
NEVER, never use an impact wrench to tighten ANY bolt. Impact wrenches are fine for loosening them but tightening them, that is a big NO. Always snug them up and then use a torque wrench to set them to the torque spec listed in your owners manual or online (many sources for prevailing torque specs online for metric as well as SAE fasteners).

Reason being is, using an impact wrench to tighten a bolt, you can be stretching said bolt close to it's yield point and promoting failure.

Even a cheapo beam torque wrench is better than an impact and HF sells inexpensive (as well as more expensive) torque wrenches for a reasonable price.
Specially in this particular case, where the loader mount bolts thread into cast iron. An accidental slip on the trigger of the impact gun and there goes the threads on the casting.

/ Kubota wheel and loader nut torque. #7  
If I used my 1/2" drive Thor impact wrench to tighten ANY bolt on my tractors, I bet I could twist all of them off, no problem. Far as wheels go, there is is specific torque value for them as well. My Kubota's take 175 foot pounds on the wheel nuts where as my car takes 110 foot pounds on the lug nuts.

If anything and you insist on using an impact to tighten bolts, invest in a set of 'Torque Sticks' and use them. Each one will have a specific torque yield value.

Delicate has nothing to do with it. Yield on a bolt or stud has everything to do with it...
I don't own a torque wrench. I've been doing it by feel for 40 years and never had a problem. I guess some folk can get a bit overzealous and start breaking stuff.

/ Kubota wheel and loader nut torque. #8  
I don't own a torque wrench. I've been doing it by feel for 40 years and never had a problem. I guess some folk can get a bit overzealous and start breaking stuff.
Maybe it's time to buy one. Not that expensive, I think under 30 bucks for a 1/2" drive Pittsburg at HF Now, they aren't all that accurate but better than 'good-n-tight' by a long shot. In my case I need accurate plus I need one that registers torque in both directions so then the price climbs accordingly.

I have the ICON one from HF in 1/2 drive and it was $105 bucks. Just as accurate and repeatable as the ultra priced Snap-On at 500 clams.

Cheap wrenches only register tightening torque. I need torque values for left hand threads as well.

/ Kubota wheel and loader nut torque. #9  
I just did this yesterday with my 3039R. The book calls for 103 ft. lbs. I used a 100 lb. torque stick and followed up with a torque wrench.

/ Kubota wheel and loader nut torque. #10  
Statements like this are why I keep coming back to the internet lol