Kubota utility tractor questions

/ Kubota utility tractor questions #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I am weighing out the option of buying a simple, bare bones utility tractor to use in the vineyard for running a 5' rotary cutter and a mid mounted post pounder. 2wd is fine as I want it to be as affordable as possible. It doesn't need a fancy transmission either. The main restriction is width as I would prefer 64" outside width but can deal with 68" since fixing posts is mainly before the vines start growing again.

There are not very many Kubota tractors around here so I have never used one or been around them other then a couple RTV 1100's and a few sub-compacts.

So how well do the basic M series tractors work for you guys? Is there anything you feel Kubota should improve on them?

I have also considered the L3700 but its more compact then utility and while it will work for the two jobs I have in mind I don't want to limit myself and not be able to use it else where. The M would have more weight which would help during harvest if I needed to use it and the L would be completely useless during harvest as it would never be able to handle the weight properly.

But for curiousity, how well do you like the L3700? Isn't this the tractor that you guys keep talking about with the jerky 3pt lift?

And finally, since I am limited to browsing Kubota.com to learn about these tractors is there any other tractors I should look at? I am going to buy a M8540 narrow shortly for spraying and really don't want to buy a second narrow tractor as you pay more for the narrow tractor then a standard and if I can make a standard tractor work I will prefer to save that money for now.

/ Kubota utility tractor questions #2  
The L series has quite a range. All the way from the size of the large B's to the size of what I think of a real tractor, which would be the M's. Is an M really considered a utility tractor? I first looked at the smaller L when I was shopping, but the cost was more than I wanted to pay. I would have thought a smaller tractor would be better for a vineyard or orchard. I don't think you'll save much by getting 2WD, as most modern small tractors are 4wd any way.

What is a mid mount post pounder? I've seen 3 pt models, and loader models. Mid mount= belly mount in my mind, and that doesn't make much sense when I think about it.

/ Kubota utility tractor questions
The L series has quite a range. All the way from the size of the large B's to the size of what I think of a real tractor, which would be the M's. Is an M really considered a utility tractor? I first looked at the smaller L when I was shopping, but the cost was more than I wanted to pay. I would have thought a smaller tractor would be better for a vineyard or orchard. I don't think you'll save much by getting 2WD, as most modern small tractors are 4wd any way.

What is a mid mount post pounder? I've seen 3 pt models, and loader models. Mid mount= belly mount in my mind, and that doesn't make much sense when I think about it.

The L is a compact utility while the M is utility. Vineyards want narrow but we still need the hp and weight which is why compacts don't work out too well. Thats why your typical vineyard tractor is 70-100 hp ranging from 44" to 60" wide. Lots of hp, weight and on a narrow frame.

In a utility tractor the FWA option is still going to cost a few thousand more then a simple 2wd and when you don't need that option why pay for it. If I end up in the compact utility class like the L then yeah, FWA is required since their so much lighter.

A mid mount post pounder is the same as a 3pt mounted one but instead of mounting the the lift arms you have brackets that mount to the middle of the tractor like the loader would mount to. Since the tractor is in the row the pounder is in front of the operator so we pull up to the post and the pounder extends out to the post. If I can find a pic I will post it since pictures explain things so well

/ Kubota utility tractor questions #4  
I know nothing about grapes, but I do have a Kubota MX5100. It is my favorite of all the tractors I have had over the years. It has plenty of power without frills although I wish it had a few of the Grand L series niceties. I have R4 tires on it and it is just shy of 6' wide which may be an issue for you. The geared version is only synchronized in the 3rd and 4th gears. All that said it is a great tractor with a lot of power. The M4700 is basically the same tractor only not turbocharged and less HP. The 5100 also has Category I and II hitch compatabilty and the extendable lift arms which are really nice. The 4700 has a category I 3 pt. hitch. The Cat II with the extendable arms may be an option. The turbo is a tad loud. The seat is comfortable and there is plenty of room on the platform. No mat like the L's. I do have the 4WD HST version, but that is a necessity for the uses I have. If you ever plan to add a loader 4WD is a must.

Last edited:
   / Kubota utility tractor questions #5  
Yes the L3700 (and 2800/3400 + 3200/3800) are the ones with the jerky hitches.

I like mine regardless. Allthough it is with a FEL and 4wd.

As a compromise, have you looked at the L4400???

The following are just BASE models w/2wd according to "build my kubota" on their site. Real prices are probabally a little less

L3400............................$14,261
L3800 (newer style)..........$14,565
L4400............................$14,490
MX4700..........................$16,541
MX5100..........................$17,541

Based on that, seriously check out the L4400. Weight and power wise, it is about smack dab in the middle of the two you are looking at.

/ Kubota utility tractor questions #6  
It looks to me like the width limits you, unless you get into the narrow models, for the M series. To me, they all appear to be to wide. Are you thinking about the narrow models?

It looks to me like the width limits you, unless you get into the narrow models, for the M series. To me, they all appear to be to wide. Are you thinking about the narrow models?

No, I already have an M8540 narrow with cab set to order from Messicks once our current land deal is finalized. The tractor I am researching right now would ideally be a standard utility tractor. The narrow versions are great tractors and would work great for my use but the problem is you would be looking at around double the cost for a simple narrow tractor without cab. When I get upwards of 50-60 acres of grapes then its easier to justify multiple narrow tractors but I currently have 9 and this new property is 108 acres with 24 acres of grapes bringing me to 33 (I am aiming to have 100 acres of vineyard total). I have been looking at used tractors and the prices for decent used tractors specced like I am wanting are in the $9-$10k range. At those prices I would rather go new and know the history of the tractor and have a warranty.

This tractor as well as the M8540 will take over the job I did use a Ford 1920 for. With grapes you spray a lot and cut 2-3 times a year. So the M8540 will mainly stay hooked to the sprayer and this tractor will stay hooked to the rotary cutter and post pounder frame. I will use it to cut 33 acres of grapes 2-3 times a year as well as help maintain around the rest of the property (we are now at 350 acres).

So yeah, the width is a major issue. The idea of going narrow is that when the vineyard has a full canopy you don't damage the vines since they grow out into the row. If I can stay under 68" I should be ok. I would prefer less but the main thing is that if I am close and it is an issue I can always build a shield around the rear tires to help deflect the vines away from the tire. Early in the season it isn't an issue though so its only the second and possible third cuttings that width becomes a big issue.

Yes the L3700 (and 2800/3400 + 3200/3800) are the ones with the jerky hitches.

I like mine regardless. Allthough it is with a FEL and 4wd.

As a compromise, have you looked at the L4400???

The following are just BASE models w/2wd according to "build my kubota" on their site. Real prices are probabally a little less

L3400............................$14,261
L3800 (newer style)..........$14,565
L4400............................$14,490
MX4700..........................$16,541
MX5100..........................$17,541

Based on that, seriously check out the L4400. Weight and power wise, it is about smack dab in the middle of the two you are looking at.

Thanks, the L4400 is actually a great option at quick glance. I was concerned with the tractor being light and it is but its not that much lighter then the MX4700 (only a few hundred pounds). And the L4400 easily meets my width requirements. And the hydraulics are close as well and should easily handle the post pounder.

How well does the L series hold up to long hours of constant pto use? Does the L4400 have the jerky lift issue? For post pounding it will mainly be run at idle while pulling a trailer full of 8' long posts (70-100 posts) so that doesn't bother me too much. I'm more worried about running a 5' medium duty Bush Hog rotary cutter 8-12 hours straight. It won't be used daily but when it does get used it will be used hard and for around a week straight. I know the 1920 handles the rotary cutter fine but my sprayer punishes it which is why I am buying a suitable spraying tractor.

/ Kubota utility tractor questions #9  
Does the L4400 have the jerky lift issue? For post pounding it will mainly be run at idle while pulling a trailer full of 8' long posts (70-100 posts) so that doesn't bother me too much. I'm more worried about running a 5' medium duty Bush Hog rotary cutter 8-12 hours straight. It won't be used daily but when it does get used it will be used hard and for around a week straight. I know the 1920 handles the rotary cutter fine but my sprayer punishes it which is why I am buying a suitable spraying tractor.

No 3PH issues.

And it will handle long hours and hard work without breaking a sweat...just like any other kubota.

Actually, a 5' medium duty cutter is a rather light load for that tractor.

/ Kubota utility tractor questions #10  
Robert_in_NY said:
Thanks, the L4400 is actually a great option at quick glance. I was concerned with the tractor being light and it is but its not that much lighter then the MX4700 (only a few hundred pounds). And the L4400 easily meets my width requirements. And the hydraulics are close as well and should easily handle the post pounder.

How well does the L series hold up to long hours of constant pto use? Does the L4400 have the jerky lift issue? For post pounding it will mainly be run at idle while pulling a trailer full of 8' long posts (70-100 posts) so that doesn't bother me too much. I'm more worried about running a 5' medium duty Bush Hog rotary cutter 8-12 hours straight. It won't be used daily but when it does get used it will be used hard and for around a week straight. I know the 1920 handles the rotary cutter fine but my sprayer punishes it which is why I am buying a suitable spraying tractor.

I run a 6' brush hog all day long at times and it loves every minute of it. There are many tractors that fit the bill and the L4400 is one of them.