Kubota T2290 Drive belt too tight

/ Kubota T2290 Drive belt too tight #1  

JoeB59

Tractor
Kubota T2290
I just bought this Kubota T2290 (used) at the end of last year. It had less than 50 hours on it when i got it. Over the Winter my grandson took off the deck for me and put on a snow blower attachment (that I also bought, although I wish I hadn't now). He has since taken off the snow blower and put the deck back on. I'm 65 and not as mechanically inclined as I wish I was. I went to use the tractor today and after engaging the blades I immediately smelled the belt burning. I turned it off and noticed that the belt is really tight. The "manual" that I have for the tractor doesn't really cover a whole of if anything goes wrong. I was hoping maybe someone in this forum could recommend something I could do to loosen the belt just a tad. Maybe a trick that only Kubota owners know. That tensioning coil that's on it looks like a real bear to remove. I was hoping there was a way to do this without messing with that. Unfortunately my grandson is not around these days and the nearest Kubota service place is over an hour drive from where I live. Not only that but I don't have a truck to haul it.

Thanks sincerely for any suggestions.

Last edited:
   / Kubota T2290 Drive belt too tight #2  
Assuming that the same deck belt was installed that was taken off in combination with the burning smell I would be leaning to the belt has been incorrectly installed.

/ Kubota T2290 Drive belt too tight #3  
I would also check the belt routing. You should be able to find a diagram of the deck either in a user manual or parts breakdown.
Other possibilities include a seized idler pulley or spindle, or debris jammed in a pulley.

/ Kubota T2290 Drive belt too tight #4  
Apparently there is a problem with these belts.

/ Kubota T2290 Drive belt too tight #5  
All belts ARE NOT created equal by a long shot. They have different cross sections, and different compounds and the belt HAS to match the sheaves correctly as well.

/ Kubota T2290 Drive belt too tight
Assuming that the same deck belt was installed that was taken off in combination with the burning smell I would be leaning to the belt has been incorrectly installed.
I think you're right. It's so tight though I can't get it off. Looking at it, I think the only way is too remove that tension spring. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that but it looks like that's the only way. Won't be able to get to it for a couple days though. Will update this posting when I do. Thank you for your reply.

All belts ARE NOT created equal by a long shot. They have different cross sections, and different compounds and the belt HAS to match the sheaves correctly as well.
Thank you. I will update this post in a couple days. I have been impressed with Kubota so far. Although I read somewhere that this model I have is a pain in the but when it comes to changing the drive belt. That's a problem hopefully i'll never endure.

I would also check the belt routing. You should be able to find a diagram of the deck either in a user manual or parts breakdown.
Other possibilities include a seized idler pulley or spindle, or debris jammed in a pulley.
Thank you for your reply. I am going to tackle that first problem first (routing).

Apparently there is a problem with these belts.

Thank you for this. Good to know. I don't think this is the problem but will know soon. Either way, this is information I'll save since I hope to have this lawn tractor a few more years at least.

Sorry I'm late in replying to this. My grandson ended up coming over and he put the belt back on the right way. Apparently before had it (in two places) on the inside of a guide when it should have been outside. Thank you.