Kubota RTV-XG850, Anyone?

/ Kubota RTV-XG850, Anyone? #21  
If I want a rough, punishing ride when woods or trail riding at any an speed above a slow crawl I'll get a Jeep of a Roxor.
Till then I'll stick with sport UTV's.
Why Are Side-by-Sides So Expensive? Here's the Answer! - YouTube

I use my vehicles to get work done, not to play. Since the OP is replacing a Gator 620i, I'm assuming he is using it for similar applications.

I have no need to go 40+ MPH through my woods. My trails are far from pristine, but if they were in anything close to the shape of what is shown in that video, I'd fix them. I have absolutely no need for 12" or 16" of travel in my suspension. My current access is via tractor or one of two antique Coot utility vehicles (basically no suspension). It's not really an issue when I'm pulling out 3000# of logs. If I had an extra $40,000 lying around, I'd put it toward more land.

Sure, if the OP's interest is in recreation, maybe a $30-$40,000 UTV makes sense for him.

/ Kubota RTV-XG850, Anyone? #22  
When I stopped by our local Kubota dealer for parts, they had a Sidekick XG850 near the door. Nice set of standard features including EPS, Rear diff lock, front limited slip. Has anyone purchased one, or other first-hand experience? Is there anything not to like? Starting to think about selling our 11 year old Gator 620i.
---------------------------------
I had a 2009 JD Gator 620i that I really, really enjoyed (and had people fighting over when I sold it last spring) but my Kubota RTV-X 1100C is leaps and bounds better, in just about every aspect. I love the power steering, the precise hydrostatic transmission, the airtight cab, the far greater torque, the overall fit and finish. I use my UTV primarily for snow plowing, not trail riding, so the fact that the 1100C is slow is fine with me. I'd never go back to a gas-powered CVT machine again for my situation. IMG_2593.JPG

/ Kubota RTV-XG850, Anyone? #23  
RKB in SB, Im going to test drive the RTV 1100C in a few days. Im curious about just driving it around leisurely off road? Id like to enjoy trail riding, but not crazy fast by any means. Every time it comes up it seems everyone talks about how its so slow and not meant for trails. Im not looking to drift and slide and peel out, just cruise through some wooded trails. Can you enjoy that to any degree with your machine? I am also looking to plow a half mile driveway, but that leaves an awful lot of other months where there isn't snow that I'd like to have some fun with it.

/ Kubota RTV-XG850, Anyone? #24  
RKB in SB, Im going to test drive the RTV 1100C in a few days. Im curious about just driving it around leisurely off road? Id like to enjoy trail riding, but not crazy fast by any means. Every time it comes up it seems everyone talks about how its so slow and not meant for trails. Im not looking to drift and slide and peel out, just cruise through some wooded trails. Can you enjoy that to any degree with your machine? I am also looking to plow a half mile driveway, but that leaves an awful lot of other months where there isn't snow that I'd like to have some fun with it.
-----------------------------------------------
I love my new 1100C, but I honestly don't know how much fun it would be on the trails. It would be able to manage, no doubt -- there's plenty of ground clearance and suspension travel. The ride is actually much smoother over bumps than what I was used to in my old Gator.

What the 1100C isn't, though, is peppy or fast. Even though the 620i had a top speed of 30, it'd go 30 -- and get there pretty quickly. The 1100C supposedly will go 25, but the highest number I've seen on my speedometer is 19. Of course, I do have another 350 pounds of snow plow up front plus another 200 pounds of bagged sand in the bed, so that probably has an effect. Maybe it'll be faster when spring comes and I can remove that extra weight. I'll definitely putt-putt around my land with it, but I sure wouldn't describe it as "lively". It has much more power than the Gator, and I can push snow way off the road, in places I'd never dreamed of reaching with the Gator, but it's definitely oriented much more toward work than play.

That works out well for me. I live in a heavy lake-effect snow region (200" last winter, 265" a few years ago) and the problem I always ran into with my Gator was "where are you going to put all that snow?" When it piled up 4 feet high along my 1000' long private road, the typical freeze/thaw cycles would turn that into immovable walls of ice -- and then you were really in trouble for the rest of the winter. I actually sold my Gator and bought a John Deere tractor with a snowblower last year to get around that problem, but that was a huge mistake -- it would blow snow maybe 15 feet at best. So that led me to the Kubota. I figured I could always put the K-Connect snowblower on it if need be, but now I'm thinking I may not need that, given the Kubota's greater ability to push snow way off the road.

Hope that helps!IMG_4846.JPG

Last edited:
   / Kubota RTV-XG850, Anyone? #25  

My RTV-X1120D tops out around 27 or 28 mph. The only time I open it up is when traveling down the paved public road in a hurry. Most other times I am cruising around 15-20mph as it feels more "sane". When I am riding on our trails or in the fields, I am going a lot slower, like 10-15mph, or even less. Don't want to go any faster due to the bumpy terrain, curves, tree branches, etc, plus the whole point is to enjoy the scenery and keep an eye on the property. I suspect if I lived in wide open terrain that was smooth enough to go fast, I could come to enjoy more speed, but for my current terrain and uses, 27-28mph is more than I need.

My neighbor has a Honda Pioneer that goes quite a bit faster, but he described the top speed experience as "terrifying", which cracked me up. Another neighbor has a Mahindra Retriever, also quite a bit faster. We all occasionally do trail rides together, and never come close to exceeding the top speed of my RTV, much less their machines. It's just not safe/comfortable in our terrain.

/ Kubota RTV-XG850, Anyone? #26  
For me the difference in speed along the trail comes down to: Am I here to enjoy the ride, or am I here to enjoy the forest. Since I'm there to enjoy the forest, and not focused on intentionally running through mud for the fun of it or catching air off bumps, 25 MPH is plenty.

/ Kubota RTV-XG850, Anyone? #27  
I would have to drive mine a mile or so to get where I need to do any work...So the extra speed would be handy for that. I hate dealing with trailers when I can get around it.

/ Kubota RTV-XG850, Anyone? #28  
Not putting down other brands or the Sidekick. There is some really nice stuff out there.
Just me personally, I would feel stupid spending the money they want for what you get. I'd go buy a brand new street legal Jeep with an 8000 pound winch first for the same money.

Amen!
I like going from land use to trails to grocery store. When I am without the doors/top= about the closest I’m gonna get to motorcycle freedom! (SWMBO)

Dumping, I got a trailer that. Some don’t want to bother. However, I like the flexibility going to get stuff off-property/use with other vehicles etc when needed. Last week was HD runs for the sawmill project. Concrete and wood from the store to deep in the woods, no fuss. I have had utv. I never really enjoyed piling the box with gravel/rock/dirt with my loader. Loading my trailer was preferred. If I loaded by hand (shovel, wood, tools etc.) the box was fine. This didn’t change, I still use the jeep box the same way. I guess if i HAD to have something dumping behind me I would just get a dump box for the 3 pt hitch (that I have ordered.)

Plowing is a blast.

It also is not deprecating. Love my Willy’s!
No doubt the rtv and maybe toolcat are at the top of the heap. I can see the market for the local land/farm/job site use utv but without a business to roll it into, the 40k+ cost didn’t make sense. I could have bought the neighbor’s used one for 20k but value still not = to cost (for me). Ymmv

Last edited:
   / Kubota RTV-XG850, Anyone? #29  
The wife and I have really enjoyed our XG850 so far

/ Kubota RTV-XG850, Anyone? #30  
Bump. Anybody got a sidekick?

Bump, yes, well, not yet. It's on order.. Here's the skinny...Wife and I went to the local County fair and my dealer was there with his Kubota and Cub Cadet stuff and on the end sits a black Sidekick. We have a quad but my wife don't like it so I have my spray rig on the back and I use it. Anyway, she's checking out the Sidekick like real hard so I asked how much but in Kubota Orange (has to be orange), fold down windshield and top with ATV tires, got a price and ordered one. 40 mph works. I can see her driving around the neighborhood 'spying on the neighbors' and I'll have to train the chow we have to ride in the bed on the back. With an SMV triangle on the back and turn signals and 4 ways you can road them here in Michigan Once we get it I'll post some pictures and give you my impression.