Kubota RTV 900 acting up.

/ Kubota RTV 900 acting up. #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
I have a Kubota RTV 900 and this morning it started acting up so I thought I would run this past you guys to see if you have had anything like this happen to you. While going up a hill on the township road it started bog down, so I stopped and it went back to idling and then I hit the fuel pedal and away we went for another fifty to hundred feet and it did it again. I dropped it down a gear, but once again it did it. I was able to get it back to the barn, now to figure out what's wrong. Here's a better example. If you have ever driven a dump truck or anything with a stick shift and you start up a hill, the engine starts to bog down and at a point you have to shift to a lower gear, but if you don't the engine will jerk a couple of times and then shut off. Ok, that's kind of what this is doing, but of course I don't let it die. I stop and it comes down to an idle and then I go again for a hundred feet and it does it again. I'm thinking either fuel filter, clogged up exhaust or possibly fuel pump, but fuel pump you would think it would either work or not. Anyone have this happed to you? Thanks. RRM

/ Kubota RTV 900 acting up. #2  
Does it do this when not on a hill??? How does it run on the flats? I would say Fuel filter also!!

/ Kubota RTV 900 acting up.
Not to bad on the flats.

/ Kubota RTV 900 acting up. #4  
I have a Kubota RTV 900 and this morning it started acting up so I thought I would run this past you guys to see if you have had anything like this happen to you. While going up a hill on the township road it started bog down, so I stopped and it went back to idling and then I hit the fuel pedal and away we went for another fifty to hundred feet and it did it again. I dropped it down a gear, but once again it did it. I was able to get it back to the barn, now to figure out what's wrong. Here's a better example. If you have ever driven a dump truck or anything with a stick shift and you start up a hill, the engine starts to bog down and at a point you have to shift to a lower gear, but if you don't the engine will jerk a couple of times and then shut off. Ok, that's kind of what this is doing, but of course I don't let it die. I stop and it comes down to an idle and then I go again for a hundred feet and it does it again. I'm thinking either fuel filter, clogged up exhaust or possibly fuel pump, but fuel pump you would think it would either work or not. Anyone have this happed to you? Thanks. RRM
My guess fuel filter.When is the last time you changed it ??

I bought it a year ago used. The guy said he changed all of the filters just before he put it up for sale.

/ Kubota RTV 900 acting up. #6  
They had different style spark arresters depending on the year in the muffler. Mine was part of the muffler outlet you could unscrew 3 screws and check the screen. I would also check the fuel filter and air filter. Also, see if you need to blow out the radiator if it is overheating.

Well guys, good news so far. Along with checking the air cleaner box (mice like to store things in there) blowing out the air filter (not bad) checking that the muffler was not clogged or the screen, I picked up a fuel filter. After replacing the fuel filter I fired it up and ran it up a slight grade to see if it coughed and it seemed ok. So I figured I would put it to the test. Went down to the bottom of the township road and put it in "H" and started up. Made it all the way to the top with out a hiccup. So I'm guessing it is fixed. Got lucky, that's a cheap fix. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. RRM