Kubota OEM vs Napa Oil Filters - Torn open comparison

/ Kubota OEM vs Napa Oil Filters - Torn open comparison #31  
To me oil filters are the most important maitenamce item if one wants to go the distance, here the top for 2018 and one of the reasons I have now swited to Purolator ONE>>>> 1 Best Oil Filters (Jan. 218) - Buyer's Guide and Reviews PurolatorOne Premium Oil Filter
Purolator Classic - Purolator One - Purolator Boss Oil Filter Review - YouTube
Just a little useless fact.......Purolator makes Ford Motorcraft filters and one other brand that escapes my mind at the moment.

I had confirmed this when my Ford dealer gave a Purolator because there was a shortage of Motorcraft branded. I called Ford Corporate and they told me that info.

/ Kubota OEM vs Napa Oil Filters - Torn open comparison #33  
Messicks is awesome for parts, both in pricing and availability. Neil does a great job explaining the differences, the stiffer rubber components are usually nitrile, the softer higher quality rubber is most likely silicone. Much better for temperature, and hot oil. The size of the filtration element is a no brainer, the Kubota is clearly better, and I'm certain the filtration material is superior. No micro particle testing was done, but I'm sure they are close with the OEM Kubota filter being better. Neil didn't test the relief springs, but the higher end Kubota filter most likely has also a higher relief spring pressure. This is critical, both for cold weather start up and also being sure that the oil in not bypassing easily. As he pointed out the thicker filter can is tougher. OEM filters for my equipment and synthetic quality oil. There are many studies on oil filters. Great reading. Oil Filter Comparison Study - GM Truck Central

The soft silicone valve seal has other attributes as well.

Any engine that does not have the oil pump submerged ( which virtually guarantees self prime on start up) is where the issue is.
Engines that have the pump elevated have to pull the oil from the bottom of the sump.

Filters with the cheap rubber seals may not seal as well allowing drain back which can cavitate the pump especially ones that aren't started everyday and result in a much longer time till the bearings receive oil under pressure. That causes wear.
I have personally over the years also seen defective seals on filters. One on a Porsche that the rubber seal was so inflexible that it would not deform enough to allow initial oil flow from the pump and cause the elevated pump to cavitate on start up
a brand that begins with F. Changing to a better quality filter instantly fixed the issue.

Buick and AMC engines with elevated pumps where the seal was leaking would take longer to build pressure because the oil had leaked partially back down the tube to the sump. Better quality filters with the soft flexible silicone seal valve cured the slow prime.

Good video by Messicks, also agree on Ford / New Holland backhoe parts always seem to have all the listings and many times everything is in stock and ready to ship.

Last edited: