Buying Advice Kubota, Mahindra, or JD Compact

/ Kubota, Mahindra, or JD Compact #1  

ck27kioti

Tractor
kioti
I still have my '09 CK27 Kioti. Still runs good.

But, a guy on a car forum I'm on is lookin to buy a new compact, in the just under 30hp class.

So, I got to thinkin about what I'd buy, if I decide to buy a new one. Right now, it's between a Kubota, a Mahindra, & a JD, in the models that are about 25hp.

From what little I've read, the Mahindra seems to be the cheapest & has the 7-year warranty. So, assuming a guy has a nearby dealer with good service for each brand, what are the advantages & disadvantages of each brand.

Please don't just post that you have a certain brand, so that's the only brand you'd buy. I'd really like some pros & cons for each brand. Remember, I'm talkin about a compact, NOT a sub-compact, or a heavier model with 30 or more hp.

It'll be used for maintaining a 1/2 mile dirt/gravel road, bush hoggin about 10 acres, and moving trees that fall across horse riding trails thru the woods. So, I'm talkin 4WD, Ind tires, shuttle shift, front end loader, & a 5' bush hog.

Thanks to those who will take the time to give their honest opinions of all 3 of the brands, in a model that fits this description ! :)

/ Kubota, Mahindra, or JD Compact #2  
Kind of challenging. I own Deere and only a Deere. I have used some smaller Massey's and Fords. Some folks buy and hold. I am not a vehicle/tractor flipper so all I know is what I have owned for 10 years, 20 years or 30 years. I like my 70 series tractor I bought in 1997. I would buy bigger in the series and get 4 wd. Of course not helpful as you are not going to easily find a 25 year old tractor that has been replaced once or twice with new series numbers.

/ Kubota, Mahindra, or JD Compact #3  
I still have my '09 CK27 Kioti. Still runs good.

But, a guy on a car forum I'm on is lookin to buy a new compact, in the just under 30hp class.

So, I got to thinkin about what I'd buy, if I decide to buy a new one. Right now, it's between a Kubota, a Mahindra, & a JD, in the models that are about 25hp.

From what little I've read, the Mahindra seems to be the cheapest & has the 7-year warranty. So, assuming a guy has a nearby dealer with good service for each brand, what are the advantages & disadvantages of each brand.

Please don't just post that you have a certain brand, so that's the only brand you'd buy. I'd really like some pros & cons for each brand. Remember, I'm talkin about a compact, NOT a sub-compact, or a heavier model with 30 or more hp.

It'll be used for maintaining a 1/2 mile dirt/gravel road, bush hoggin about 10 acres, and moving trees that fall across horse riding trails thru the woods. So, I'm talkin 4WD, Ind tires, shuttle shift, front end loader, & a 5' bush hog.

Thanks to those who will take the time to give their honest opinions of all 3 of the brands, in a model that fits this description ! :)
I looked at those 3 brands and a few more. Mahindra 1626 shuttle won pretty easily. Next in line was the Kioti CK2610 but I didn't like the backhoe mounting. If I didn't ever want a backhoe and wanted hydro, I'd have went with the Kioti. I like the hydro pedal setup better.

720 hours in just under 2 years on the Mahindra. No warranty claims. Hasn't been back once.

I had a Mahindra 3215 hydro years ago that we beat pretty hard doing tree work. 500 hours never had any issues. The Mitsubishi built tractors or pretty solid.

/ Kubota, Mahindra, or JD Compact #4  
I've always been a Deere guy, but before I bought my 4052, I gave serious consideration to a used Kioti.
My neighbor has a CK2610 or CK3510...nice cab tractor. I wanted a bit more PTO HP, so I went with the Deere, plus the dealer is local (neighbor's tractor came from out of state...Massachusetts or Connecticut, IIRC)
A local dealer is important to me and I can't complain about the service.
Although not particularly important to me, resale and trade-in value are also something to consider

Last edited:
   / Kubota, Mahindra, or JD Compact #5  
I believe all Mahindra brand compact tractors sold in the USA are private labels produced for Mahindra by TYM of Korea.

I would shop a direct TYM dealer rather than shop TYM through a Mahindra dealer.

Likewise, I would be inclined to purchase a Yanmar from a Yanmar dealer, rather than a Yanmar/Deere hybrid from a Deere dealer. The Yanmar/Deere deal has lasted a long time.
Few other private label tractor arrangements have survived ten years.

With the exception of wheels/tires, which are sourced from Titan, Kubota compact tractors sold in the USA are purported to be produced entirely in Kubota plants. This is probably why Kubota has an established reputation for parts, especially parts for older Kubota compacts.

You should be aware that new tractor prices are very high at present, due to plants operating sporadically. Prices may come down, or promotions increase, when this Covid plague declines, but who knows when that will be.... For instance, someone recently posted that Kubota is short 6,000 Loaders, relative to firm orders, due to Covid absences at its several Georgia manufacturing plants. Kubota has prioritized maintaining parts to dealers over assembling complete tractors. Mahindra has prioritized assembling new tractors over parts, according to my local Kubota/Mahindra tractor dealer.

It'll be used for maintaining a 1/2 mile dirt/gravel road and mowing about ten (10) acres with a 5' Bush Hog.

I suggest considering a 35-horsepower to 40-horsepower tractor rather than a 25-horsepower tractor.

Last edited:
   / Kubota, Mahindra, or JD Compact #6  
We add/subtract to our line up of tractors now and then and over the years we've looked at Mahindra and each time we leave the lot unimpressed. Of those three, Mahindra would be out because reasons, and if you want hydro Kubota would be out because of the treadle peddle. If you don't want hydro, then either Kubota or Deere would suffice.

Personally, I've been going with Massey Ferguson (on my 3rd MF because the first two were really good tractors) and have been happy.

/ Kubota, Mahindra, or JD Compact #7  
Mind if I ask why Kioti is not on that list after owning one since 09?

/ Kubota, Mahindra, or JD Compact #8  
Mind if I ask why Kioti is not on that list after owning one since 09?
Who were you asking?
It's a good idea to quote and reply when asking a specific question to a specific person...just like I did with your post...

/ Kubota, Mahindra, or JD Compact #9  
Who were you asking?
It's a good idea to quote and reply when asking a specific question to a specific person...just like I did with your post...
I was asking the ck21kioti, the op. Isn't he the one looking to buy?

/ Kubota, Mahindra, or JD Compact
" Mind if I ask why Kioti is not on that list after owning one since 09? "

Yeah, that's easy. The dealer was only 25 miles from me, in '09.

There is not a dealer anywhere close to me, now.

And, from what I've read, Kioti parts are hard to find, sometimes.

And, most everybody says the resale value is much better for Kubota.

There is a Kubota dealer 25 miles for me & another 45 miles. Big JD dealer 40 miles.

That really narrows it down to those 2, for me. I think the Kubota model I like is an L2501.

The JD model is 3025D.

"...suggest considering a 35-horsepower to 40-horsepower tractor rather than a 25-horsepower tractor."

My CK27 Kioti has plenty of power to do everything I've needed to do, including operating the 5' bush hog. So, I don't even need 30hp. But, I understand that a more powerful engine & a 6' bush hog would do the job quicker. I only mow most of that field twice a year. So, speed is not a priority, for me.

Last edited: