Kubota M6040 fuel starving

/ Kubota M6040 fuel starving
Pick-up hose may also be sucking air.

Is the pickup hose the line out of the tank? If so, that is the line I siphoned and ended up with a mouthful of diesel. If it is, could it still be sucking air? If that isn't the pickup hose how do I find it?

/ Kubota M6040 fuel starving
Pulled the water separator and drained it. Changed the fuel pump (the old one when hand cranked pumped lots of air after I took it off). Bled the lines by using the hand pump on top of the fuel filter. Ran it for <3 min - sounded and responded great. Then starvation again. I got out and tried to pump the hand pump again and it stuck down. Then I took off hose coming into fuel filter and there was a sucking sound. Put it all back together and then blew air into the tank by mouth from the front and back vent lines. The front line went in no trouble. The back line built pressure and blow back out once I stopped. Put everything back, pumped it up again and now it wont even start. Any ideas other than calling the mechanic?

/ Kubota M6040 fuel starving #13  
Pulled the water separator and drained it. Changed the fuel pump (the old one when hand cranked pumped lots of air after I took it off). Bled the lines by using the hand pump on top of the fuel filter. Ran it for <3 min - sounded and responded great. Then starvation again. I got out and tried to pump the hand pump again and it stuck down. Then I took off hose coming into fuel filter and there was a sucking sound. Put it all back together and then blew air into the tank by mouth from the front and back vent lines. The front line went in no trouble. The back line built pressure and blow back out once I stopped. Put everything back, pumped it up again and now it wont even start. Any ideas other than calling the mechanic?

Yes, the pick up line is the one from the fuel tank to filter. However, from your further description I would say a crack in that hose is unlikely. The sucking sound is a bit more telling. Have you tried running with the fuel cap off or loose? Apologies if you already have done that. But the sucking sound is symptomatic of a building vacuum between the tank and filter. If not the vent (still will not run even with fuel cap loose) then there must be a fuel strainer in the tank that is clogged.

I suspect the current non start issue is just too much air in the lines from the injector pump to the injectors. You may need to loosen the fuel lines at the injectors and spin the motor until you have fuel at the injectors. Tighten the fuel lines back up and all should be well. However, unless you can find and resolve the flow issue from the tank to the filter, that process will be in vain.

Can you see the top of the fuel tank where the line from tank to filter enters the tank? If so, please describe what you see or better yet snap and post a pic?

/ Kubota M6040 fuel starving #14  
Is there a filter in the fuel lift pump? My NH TD95 has a screen in the lift pump. You take off the top and the screen is right under it.

/ Kubota M6040 fuel starving #15  
I once owned a M4900 that acted similar to the M6040 that had a plugged tiny screen in the water seperater housing. After cleaning plugged screen engine ran fine.