Kubota M5660SUHD caught on fire (60hrs)!

/ Kubota M5660SUHD caught on fire (60hrs)! #241  
I left the hood open on the MX all winter in the shed and also used dryer sheets. Didn't see any nests when I looked earlier this week.

/ Kubota M5660SUHD caught on fire (60hrs)! #242  
I must have, at least, twenty dryer sheet in the Taco Wagon passenger compartment. Tucked in the glove box, door pockets, under the seats - etc, etc. No evidence of any mice. But that may be due to the open hood.

Whatever - it DOES make the inside smell nice.

I have the hood open on the Kubota and JD riding mower. No mice there either.

Just think of the $$$$ a person could make if they found "something" that repelled rodents - 100%. You could have your tractor gold plated and the rear tires filled with French champagne. Better stop here..........

Last edited:
   / Kubota M5660SUHD caught on fire (60hrs)! #243  
I once ran into a similar insurance coverage situation on a $100k Freightliner OTR tractor at work. The new-ish truck was totaled in an accident. The insurance company said we had never had it added to the policy. 😳 I found the emails to and from our local insurance agent requesting coverage and his email response that he would add it. He failed to follow through but the insurance company honorEd the claim. Good faith on their part. 👍
Emails and cancelled checks have saved me several times...

Document everything was the byword at work for as long as I can remember but now all emails are wiped at 2 years...

Lawyers decided more risk having documentation than not?

/ Kubota M5660SUHD caught on fire (60hrs)! #244  
In New Zealand it is almost impossible to get fire insurance on a tractor due to the number that get burnt every year due to starlings. The favourite nest site is the exhaust manifold. You MUST pop the hood to stop starlings as they hate open space around the nest.
NOTE a starling can build a large enough nest to be a fire hazard in 20 MINUTES.
A farmer stopped for lunch and 20 minutes later went out to carry on with the job. He spotted a starling fly out of the tractor and popped the hood and found a partly built nest. The insurance companies pushed this story hard to raise awareness about the bird problem.

/ Kubota M5660SUHD caught on fire (60hrs)! #245  
In New Zealand it is almost impossible to get fire insurance on a tractor due to the number that get burnt every year due to starlings. The favourite nest site is the exhaust manifold. You MUST pop the hood to stop starlings as they hate open space around the nest.
NOTE a starling can build a large enough nest to be a fire hazard in 20 MINUTES.
A farmer stopped for lunch and 20 minutes later went out to carry on with the job. He spotted a starling fly out of the tractor and popped the hood and found a partly built nest. The insurance companies pushed this story hard to raise awareness about the bird problem.
So, by contrast to that saying, "Everything wants to kill you in Australia," it's just the starlings in New Zealand?

/ Kubota M5660SUHD caught on fire (60hrs)!
Update!

My lawyer managed to get some compensation from Kubota! It was "fair" in his opinion. Now I need to decide to either fix it myself or just sell it as is. Either way we avoided a long legal process in which Kubota always seems to win.