Kubota M5660SUHD caught on fire (60hrs)!

/ Kubota M5660SUHD caught on fire (60hrs)!
I'm really surprised you got it financed without valid insurance. As I remember, seems like you said the finance guy made a mistake on the insurance.
As I said my insurance produced an insurance quote at time of financing but then I did not say yes/no to it. I get equipment all the time and pretty much self insure. This was first time I financed equipment. Very good deal at zero percent

/ Kubota M5660SUHD caught on fire (60hrs)! #152  
You may not have a choice but to fix it yourself depending on your cash flow. I know that is what I would do if I were in your situation.

If you believe you have the skill set to repair a 5660 then you can fix the 6060. If you don’t have the service manual and a good wiring diagram I suggest you get one. Also I would not miss a single payment and would not tell the financial institution what happened. If they find out and you don’t have the insurance they likely will call for the loan.

Once you get it fixed, get some insurance coverage.

You may not have a choice but to fix it yourself depending on your cash flow. I know that is what I would do if I were in your situation.

If you believe you have the skill set to repair a 5660 then you can fix the 6060. If you don’t have the service manual and a good wiring diagram I suggest you get one. Also I would not miss a single payment and would not tell the financial institution what happened. If they find out and you don’t have the insurance they likely will call for the loan.

Once you get it fixed, get some insurance coverage.
The reason I said it would be easier to have the same tractor is that to have a reference for wiring without a wiring diagram. Probably 6060 is similar

And yes it does not look hard to fix assuming the ecu was not fried

/ Kubota M5660SUHD caught on fire (60hrs)! #154  
9 month old tractor and I run it for maybe 10 minutes and notice that it has less power than usual
Anyhow I see smoke out in the hood area on top of engine. I open the hood and flames spread out all the way to fuse box and the dashboard (plastic)
I manage to douse off the fire and all the wiring is now bare and burnt to a crisp. The quote to repair is at least 30k which is close to what I paid (actually I still have 40 payments due)!

Question: What could have caused it (it was plastic/ wiring burning and super hot!)...not fuel related.
The dealer told me I need to turn to insurance co; i.e it is not covered by warranty!

Obviously I don't want to spend as much as a new tractor on this; besides the wiring and the dashboard cover everything looks like new! I am getting a 6060HD delivered in a few days as I can't wait to get a resolution to this....
I would take a copy of the estimate to repair and a copy of the warranty to a lawyer. He may be able to get them to be more cooperative.

I would take a copy of the estimate to repair and a copy of the warranty to a lawyer. He may be able to get them to be more cooperative.
Yes that is exactly what I did yesterday and lawyer sent letter to Kubota directly. My dealer is terrible and basically not willing to discuss about their estimate and when I sent one of my workers to see the tractor they did not want to let him see it.

Although the labor is reasonable at 45hrs the 25k in parts is ridiculous as most items on the list (like alternator/starter/bonnet) where not even affected. Why would someone spend 29k to repair unless it was covered under warranty?

/ Kubota M5660SUHD caught on fire (60hrs)! #157  
My dealer is terrible and basically not willing to discuss about their estimate and when I sent one of my workers to see the tractor they did not want to let him see it.
I'm confused. Who is the legal owner of this tractor? You, the dealer, or third-party lender? If either of the latter two, why not retrieve it from the dealer today?

/ Kubota M5660SUHD caught on fire (60hrs)! #158  
This entire story line would certainly alter my thoughts of loyalty to the dealership and perhaps the brand as well.

45 years of observing dealerships has only served to reinforce the "fix it myself" attitude.

But a comment from this stranger is probably no more helpful to the OP than his dealer.

/ Kubota M5660SUHD caught on fire (60hrs)! #159  
You ever thought about your dealer was trying to get this tractor totaled out since it was their understanding you had it insured?

For those that missed it let's review the facts of this thread.
The original poster borrowed money from Kubota to buy this tractor. Less than a year into the 48 month commitment the tractor caught fire. Nobody knows why but the original poster really wanted it to be warranty to dodge the bullet of getting caught with no insurance on the tractor. The original poster did not insure the tractor like he promised Kubota he would. He wants the warranty angle to cover it since he didn't fulfill his obligation to insure their asset they loaned him money to buy. For all practical purposes, it's still their tractor. They can quote to repair however they damn well see fit.

From what I've gleaned the original poster did poke around and might have a homeowners policy that might cover this but if so they are lucky since they didn't insure it specifically like they told Kubota they would.

So by TBN logic the dealer is the devil, Kubota is trying to screw the original poster, and a lawyer should jump in to help the original poster sue Kubota and the dealer.

Clown world.

/ Kubota M5660SUHD caught on fire (60hrs)! #160  
Is the tractor insured, or not? We still don't have a straight answer on that. If insured, sorting all this out is up to the insurance company, but you need to file a claim.