Buying Advice KUBOTA L5030 or New Holland TC45D

/ KUBOTA L5030 or New Holland TC45D #1  

TWD

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M59
I've rented the TC35D, and it gets the job done but not efficiently, and makes me smack my head sometimes.

I need something relatively the same size to fit on my roads in the woods, I have some room to play here, but would prefer to stay as close to this size as possible.

My purposes/usages can be seen here.

I've been looking at the L5030's on ebay, and other sites, and the only down fall (so far) is none seem to have a joystick for the FEL. Is this an option I can add for a reasonable cost? Or is it a major overhaul since??

Is the 5030 way too big of an upgrade if the TC35D gets the job done, but barely?

I`m not set on the TC45D but it's the exact size with a little more horsepower.

Ideally, I'd like to find a used one with a FEL, and BH w/24" bucket, and then add a 12" bucket for a nice well-rounded machine.

Opinions the 5030, joystick control for the FEL, and size relative to my needs :confused2:

/ KUBOTA L5030 or New Holland TC45D #2  
Clarification needed about the "none seem to have a joystick for the FEL" comment, TWD.

If the L5030's you've been looking at had a loader, the joystick would be part of the installation. The factory loader (LA853) includes a joystick mounted on the right side FEL bracket, adjacent to the steering wheel.

Are you saying the handle is missing, or the entire control valve + joystick is missing, or the loader frame + control valve + joystick is missing... which is the same thing as saying the tractor never had any kind of loader at all?

Regarding the move up from a TC35. I think you would see a big increase in capability, paticularly with the L5030 tractor. Looking at your work requirements, that should represent added productivity for you. My preference would be for the L5030 since they were a particularly good model in the Kubota lineup (and I'm an orange kind of guy :D), but the TC45 would be just fine also, maybe not quite as big a step up vs. the L5030. Since you're looking at used equipment, it's more important to get one in good condition than whether it's blue or orange.

/ KUBOTA L5030 or New Holland TC45D
Clarification needed about the "none seem to have a joystick for the FEL" comment, TWD.

If the L5030's you've been looking at had a loader, the joystick would be part of the installation. The factory loader (LA853) includes a joystick mounted on the right side FEL bracket, adjacent to the steering wheel.

Are you saying the handle is missing, or the entire control valve + joystick is missing, or the loader frame + control valve + joystick is missing... which is the same thing as saying the tractor never had any kind of loader at all?

Regarding the move up from a TC35. I think you would see a big increase in capability, paticularly with the L5030 tractor. Looking at your work requirements, that should represent added productivity for you. My preference would be for the L5030 since they were a particularly good model in the Kubota lineup (and I'm an orange kind of guy :D), but the TC45 would be just fine also, maybe not quite as big a step up vs. the L5030. Since you're looking at used equipment, it's more important to get one in good condition than whether it's blue or orange.

RE: Joystick.

The kubota "Joy stick" is more like a shift lever than a joy stick.... and like you said by the steering wheel. The JoyStick I`m used to on the new Holland is literally a joystick right next to the seat.

I haven't driven the Kubotas yet, plan to this week, and have been watching some on ebay.

It looks like the L5030 with low hours (<400), FEL, BH, can be had for around 25k. DOes that price seem right?

The NH advantage so far seems to be the turning radius, and the fact of the joystick placement. Less power, cheaper unit all together, and I`m not sure on reliability overall of it compared to Kubota. The NH seem to drop in value quicker too.

/ KUBOTA L5030 or New Holland TC45D #4  
Ah so. I've been using the Kubota "joystick" happily for 8 years and never gave a second thought to having it closer to the seat, or that it was more like a shift lever, which is admittedly true, now that I think of it. Maybe it's a generational thing. :laughing: I do actually prefer having it close to the steering wheel, since that makes it easier to move from one to the other. But, each person needs to figure out what is best for themselves with stuff like that.

/ KUBOTA L5030 or New Holland TC45D #5  
I don't know anything about the NH, but absolutely love my L5030. I found the real life turning radius to be great.

Yes, the joy stick is not particularly impressive, but it works really well and I like the location on mine.

Check with TexasJohn as he provided me a well written, interesting report on his which he has had for quite some time; wealth of information.

/ KUBOTA L5030 or New Holland TC45D #6  
RE: Joystick.

The kubota "Joy stick" is more like a shift lever than a joy stick.... and like you said by the steering wheel. The JoyStick I`m used to on the new Holland is literally a joystick right next to the seat.

I haven't driven the Kubotas yet, plan to this week, and have been watching some on ebay.

It looks like the L5030 with low hours (<400), FEL, BH, can be had for around 25k. DOes that price seem right?

The NH advantage so far seems to be the turning radius, and the fact of the joystick placement. Less power, cheaper unit all together, and I`m not sure on reliability overall of it compared to Kubota. The NH seem to drop in value quicker too.

I've never done a head to head turn comparison between those two chassis tractors but for what the Kubota of the same size would turn, it takes a super steer to equal or beat the Kubota so I'd say they might be about the same btween the two sizes.

We have a used 5030 here now and the tractor has a curtis cab and joystick on the right where you have described that you have used them befor eand enjoy them. You might be able to find one in your area. I prefer near the steering wheel myself if possible for less movement as well as quicker reponse time while driving.

If you look into other posts here the CNH tractor does have some chassis issues with backhoe's so beware of the hook ups and types of use of previous users!

/ KUBOTA L5030 or New Holland TC45D #7  
I've rented the TC35D, and it gets the job done but not efficiently, and makes me smack my head sometimes.

I need something relatively the same size to fit on my roads in the woods, I have some room to play here, but would prefer to stay as close to this size as possible.

My purposes/usages can be seen here.

I've been looking at the L5030's on ebay, and other sites, and the only down fall (so far) is none seem to have a joystick for the FEL. Is this an option I can add for a reasonable cost? Or is it a major overhaul since??

Is the 5030 way too big of an upgrade if the TC35D gets the job done, but barely?

I`m not set on the TC45D but it's the exact size with a little more horsepower.

Ideally, I'd like to find a used one with a FEL, and BH w/24" bucket, and then add a 12" bucket for a nice well-rounded machine.

Opinions the 5030, joystick control for the FEL, and size relative to my needs :confused2:

I had a few years of experience on a NH before I started to buy a tractor of my own. I was dissapointed to find out that not all of the brands had a joystick like NH. For those that have not used it, it is a real pleasure. The ergonomics, fit and finish are real nice. It is like sitting in a cockpit. You can really tell that the joystick was an integral part of the tractor design.

Anyway, other than that, I found "my" tractor at the Kubota dealer... so you can see I got over the joystick thing.

I had a few years of experience on a NH before I started to buy a tractor of my own. I was dissapointed to find out that not all of the brands had a joystick like NH. For those that have not used it, it is a real pleasure. The ergonomics, fit and finish are real nice. It is like sitting in a cockpit. You can really tell that the joystick was an integral part of the tractor design.

Anyway, other than that, I found "my" tractor at the Kubota dealer... so you can see I got over the joystick thing.

I fell in love the L45 and M59 at Kubota :licking:

I've been working the numbers (length/width) to see if it will work in the woods/small roads I have.

So far...

Width
TC35 NH - 61.3" Wide @ Rear Tires with them "Dished In" (not sure what that means)
M59 - 74" "Width"

Buckets
TC35 NH - 72"
M59 - 84"
M59 4 in 1 - 72"

Length w/out BH
TC35 NH - 129.6
M59 - 132.2

Min. Turning Radius
TC35 NH - 8.83 (with brakes)
M59 - 9.8ft

Other than around 6.25" inches wider on each side @ rear tires, and loader stabilizers, it's pretty close to the baby TC35 I was also looking at. Obviously with the backhoe it's longer, and more bulky. (255.9" M59, unsure of TC35).

The FEL itself is entirely more beefy, and makes the tractor look HUGE compared to the TC35, not to mention the bucket is 1' wider. But turning radius, overall width, length w/out backhoe.. For the size it seems like a powerful tractor, not to mention the weight gain benefits, and overall much beefier construction.

Anyone have a TC35 or TC4x next to an M59 for pic comparison?

It's been hard to judge looks since the Kubotas FEL is all orange and wider overall, where the NH is half black, and blends in with the tractor itself.

Am I crazy for wanting to step it up?

/ KUBOTA L5030 or New Holland TC45D #9  
I went back and looked at your work requirements again. It seems to me you have a whole bunch of one-time site preparation activities in there that need to be completed to whip your property into shape. After that, maybe it becomes more maintenance-oriented activity. If that's mostly right, then we need to consider the several different ways of doing those things.

A new M59 is certainly one way of getting it done, obviously with a premium price tag. There is a lot of dirt moving in your chore list, and the M59 is definitely made for playing in the dirt.

An alternative would be tracking down a good used full-sized TLB. A good one will dig even more dirt than the M59, cost less, and maybe free up enough $$ to hire/rent an excavator or dozer to do some of the heaviest work (clearing trees, digging ponds, building berms, etc. and maybe buy a smaller, maintenance-oriented machine, like, say, a TC35. Good, reasonably priced TLB's are not hard to find in most parts of the country, for obvious reasons.

If you did your site prep work, and then sold the big machine, you'd probably recover most of your purchase costs. Just speculating, but you'd probably take some depreciation hit on a new unit like the M59 if you used it some and sold it. A used TLB is already depreciated and you might recover your costs a bit easier. The downside with used is getting a good one... one critical breakdown could cost big $$$ to repair and delay your work.

Also suggest you actually operate the M59 at a dealers. Don't get fooled by some of the dimensions being just marginally more. It weighs 8,500 lbs vs. 2,500 for the TC35, and it will feel like your are operating a D9 Cat. That will give also perspective for considering a 14,000 lb full size TLB. But, if you need to move some dirt - and you apparently do - and your job site can accomodate it, bigger is always better.

So you have some options to consider. What's going to be best for you is something only you can figure out. Hope this helps... others will probably also have more ideas.

I went back and looked at your work requirements again. It seems to me you have a whole bunch of one-time site preparation activities in there that need to be completed to whip your property into shape. After that, maybe it becomes more maintenance-oriented activity. If that's mostly right, then we need to consider the several different ways of doing those things.

A new M59 is certainly one way of getting it done, obviously with a premium price tag. There is a lot of dirt moving in your chore list, and the M59 is definitely made for playing in the dirt.

An alternative would be tracking down a good used full-sized TLB. A good one will dig even more dirt than the M59, cost less, and maybe free up enough $$ to hire/rent an excavator or dozer to do some of the heaviest work (clearing trees, digging ponds, building berms, etc. and maybe buy a smaller, maintenance-oriented machine, like, say, a TC35. Good, reasonably priced TLB's are not hard to find in most parts of the country, for obvious reasons.

If you did your site prep work, and then sold the big machine, you'd probably recover most of your purchase costs. Just speculating, but you'd probably take some depreciation hit on a new unit like the M59 if you used it some and sold it. A used TLB is already depreciated and you might recover your costs a bit easier. The downside with used is getting a good one... one critical breakdown could cost big $$$ to repair and delay your work.

Also suggest you actually operate the M59 at a dealers. Don't get fooled by some of the dimensions being just marginally more. It weighs 8,500 lbs vs. 2,500 for the TC35, and it will feel like your are operating a D9 Cat. That will give also perspective for considering a 14,000 lb full size TLB. But, if you need to move some dirt - and you apparently do - and your job site can accomodate it, bigger is always better.

So you have some options to consider. What's going to be best for you is something only you can figure out. Hope this helps... others will probably also have more ideas.

Wow, a very informative post.

I've somewhat decided to move away from used for the slight chance of a reliability issue, and the ability to do 0% for 60mo is another great benefit. (At least on the larger machines.) A used TC35 may be an option just due to how flat out cheap it is compared to the M59.

Yeah, next time I`m down I will be driving the M59, using the FEL, BH, etc, and really getting a feel for it.

Other usages I forgot to mention are moving axles, engines, lifting front-end of my jeep up to swap tires :D and just general uses you find when you actually own a tractor and are not jamming to get stuff done w/a rental.

How would the M59 handle driveway work? I have an old gravel driveway that was done in the early 80s that is mostly dirt, and light gravel now, some roots showing, erosion in areas, etc... would the M59 be up to the task of ripping this up, getting down a few inches, etc.

Thanks again!!