Kubota L48 loud. Quieter muffler options?

/ Kubota L48 loud. Quieter muffler options? #11  
True enough regarding tinder dry conditions.

I resign myself to wearing hearing protection and my respirator doing open cab field work...

The only exception is the Jubilee... with the rear tail pipe it's not only quieter but also no exhaust to breath...

I live in a place with significant fire risk in the summer. The government is getting rather picky about off road vehicles during fire season. I fudge it a bit with the tractor, but definitely don't want an under tractor exhaust. Mine has an elbow at the top of the stack. For some reason it likes to twist to blow at me, so I try to remember to twist it any other direction.

/ Kubota L48 loud. Quieter muffler options? #12  
With the side exhaust try get a muffler wrap kit with clamps and high temp muffler tape as a first step.

Then add under hood adhesive foil - cut and attach under the hood will quiet it down too. Changing the muffler would be the last thing - these insulation fixes will be less than $50.

/ Kubota L48 loud. Quieter muffler options? #13  
I live in a place with significant fire risk in the summer. The government is getting rather picky about off road vehicles during fire season. I fudge it a bit with the tractor, but definitely don't want an under tractor exhaust. Mine has an elbow at the top of the stack. For some reason it likes to twist to blow at me, so I try to remember to twist it any other direction.
Seems like there is more fire risk now. Wetter springs, dryer summers, and old tractor exhausts ran hot, but they were not nearly so hot as the modern catalytic and regen ones.
It's a simple problem that owners and designers can solve without involving the government.
rScotty

/ Kubota L48 loud. Quieter muffler options? #14  
On the other hand, my Caterpillar 977K is a much bigger machine and appears to have a straight stack, and is reasonably tolerable (with a cab that isn't air tight). Perhaps the turbo reduces the noise a bit (if the thing even works).

Turbos do a lot to reduce noise. Basically they're taking energy out of the exhaust.

The OP should look for a larger non performance car muffler that will fit on his Kubota. Most cars run in the 2000-3000 rpm range most of the time so a car muffler should be tuned to reduce those frequencies. A tractor muffler is likely tuned for lower rpms and would be preferable but they're harder to find.

The larger a muffler is, the better it can attenuate sound. So put in the largest one that will fit. You may need additional brackets to hold it.

If you can get the tractor to an exhaust shop they should be able to make a new exhaust with a new muffler.

/ Kubota L48 loud. Quieter muffler options? #15  
Seems like there is more fire risk now. Wetter springs, dryer summers, and old tractor exhausts ran hot, but they were not nearly so hot as the modern catalytic and regen ones.
It's a simple problem that owners and designers can solve without involving the government.
rScotty
The higher the combustion temps, the more efficient the engine. So as materials & engineering support it upping temps is a no brainier. The main downside is NOX. You get more oxides of nitrogen created at higher temps. And NOX is one of the main smog & greenhouse gasses. Then you get regulations resulting in DEF systems to get rid of the NOX.

/ Kubota L48 loud. Quieter muffler options? #16  
I have a 2000 Kubota L48 with 1300 hours on it. As I get older I am more noise sensitive. Although I wear ear protection it seems like my tractor is so loud! My muffler appears to be intact but I am thinking of cutting open to see if it has fiberglass packing that needs to be replaced or if I can put in more baffles. I’ve also thought of using a quiet automotive muffler as well. Anyone here have any experience dealing with this type of issue?
IF YOU SCREW AROUND WITH CHANGING MUFFLERS IN ANY WAY,YOU MIGHT CHANGE THE BACK PRESSURE ON THE MOTOR WHICH COULD RUIN IT AND VOID THE WARRANTY---CHECK WITH THE DEALER FIRST--THERE MAY BE A RECALL OR A BETTER MUFFLER TO BUY THAT WOULD WORK

/ Kubota L48 loud. Quieter muffler options? #17  
IF YOU SCREW AROUND WITH CHANGING MUFFLERS IN ANY WAY,YOU MIGHT CHANGE THE BACK PRESSURE ON THE MOTOR WHICH COULD RUIN IT AND VOID THE WARRANTY---CHECK WITH THE DEALER FIRST--THERE MAY BE A RECALL OR A BETTER MUFFLER TO BUY THAT WOULD WORK
Really doubt a 23 year old tractor of a model that was discontinued 14 years ago is under warranty.

/ Kubota L48 loud. Quieter muffler options? #18  
Really doubt a 23 year old tractor of a model that was discontinued 14 years ago is under warranty.
Well maybe he got the extra e x t e n d e d warranty...LOL 😂🤣

/ Kubota L48 loud. Quieter muffler options? #19  
The owner is his own warranty station, I think the guy was just looking out for him and if he adds too much back pressure it could damage the perfectly good engine, and then it would be very quite.

/ Kubota L48 loud. Quieter muffler options? #20  
Simplest...and cheapest...solution is better ear protection. Do the research on the decibel level.