Kubota L48 loud. Quieter muffler options?

/ Kubota L48 loud. Quieter muffler options? #1  

914Farm

Tractor
Kubota L48TLB
I have a 2000 Kubota L48 with 1300 hours on it. As I get older I am more noise sensitive. Although I wear ear protection it seems like my tractor is so loud! My muffler appears to be intact but I am thinking of cutting open to see if it has fiberglass packing that needs to be replaced or if I can put in more baffles. I’ve also thought of using a quiet automotive muffler as well. Anyone here have any experience dealing with this type of issue?

/ Kubota L48 loud. Quieter muffler options? #2  
Maybe change whatever you are using for hearing protection first; might be quicker and cheaper.

I use a padded headset (like headphones) that cover both ears in full - works very well for me on all of my equipment. It would probably work even better if I got newer ones with thicker padding, but these work well for me.

Just a thought….

/ Kubota L48 loud. Quieter muffler options? #3  
I don't think it has a fiberglass packing.. But a new muffler is about 250.00..

/ Kubota L48 loud. Quieter muffler options? #4  
Before you start adding baffles and such, you need to find out what the exhaust requirements are for your tractor. I accidentally bought an IH muffler for a Ford tractor. You couldn't see through the IH but you could the Ford. The tractor wouldn't run with the IH and I had to go the expense of buying another muffler....the Ford model.

/ Kubota L48 loud. Quieter muffler options? #5  
The Deere M has a straight stack… I can’t stand it but my nephew loves it… talk about LOUD

My understanding is OEM costs more but worth it…

Lots of options for hearing protection and don’t skimp!

/ Kubota L48 loud. Quieter muffler options? #6  
Before you start adding baffles and such, you need to find out what the exhaust requirements are for your tractor. I accidentally bought an IH muffler for a Ford tractor. You couldn't see through the IH but you could the Ford. The tractor wouldn't run with the IH and I had to go the expense of buying another muffler....the Ford model.

I had the loudness problem with the Ford backhoe and the round muffler was just to loud.
Read where some guys buy the larger Oval one for the 6710 and some others and it made a Big difference. Besides being quieter in general it also took a lot of the pop out of the exhaust note.

/ Kubota L48 loud. Quieter muffler options? #7  
The Deere M has a straight stack… I can’t stand it but my nephew loves it… talk about LOUD
Somebody put a cylinder glass pack on my John Deere 440ic. Talk about obnoxiously loud. I need to find something that will work better on it, but that one has bigger issues to deal with first.

On the other hand, my Caterpillar 977K is a much bigger machine and appears to have a straight stack, and is reasonably tolerable (with a cab that isn't air tight). Perhaps the turbo reduces the noise a bit (if the thing even works).

Anyway, if the tractor has a through hood pipe and a muffler above the hood, there is likely a quite a variety of possibilities. On the other hand, if the muffler is somewhere under the hood, or under the tractor, that may limit the options quite a bit more.

Perhaps the OP could get some good photos of his configuration on the Kubota L48, but I presume the selection of mufflers is quite limited.

/ Kubota L48 loud. Quieter muffler options? #8  
I have a 2000 Kubota L48 with 1300 hours on it. As I get older I am more noise sensitive. Although I wear ear protection it seems like my tractor is so loud! My muffler appears to be intact but I am thinking of cutting open to see if it has fiberglass packing that needs to be replaced or if I can put in more baffles. I’ve also thought of using a quiet automotive muffler as well. Anyone here have any experience dealing with this type of issue?
Your L48 is the same basic engine as our M59, but since the L48 doesn't have any emissions or computer or turbo there are lots of options open to you that don't apply to newer emissions style tractors. That's another advantage to the old ones.

The L48 beng an old style diesel, my opinion is that to do this in the best way, you could first add an basic automotive aftermarket exhaust manifold temperature gauge - and after that are free to try any configuration of exhaust pipe and muffler you want. Run the exhaust to the rear, or upright, and into/out of any muffler you want to try If the exhaust manifold temperature stays roughly the same as stock, you are good to give it a go. The engine will be fine.

BTW, I just last year went through a muffler change on our old JD. Modern replacements (Steiner) are a good fit and value, but are lighter construction than the OEM. The new lighter-wall construction means it looks identical, but passes noticibly more sound and particularly high frequency sound out to the operator - and the HF sound range is where older hearing is particularly vulnerable to damage.

So one thing you can consider would be that there is an advantage to a larger & heavier muffler. I see no reason why an older automotive type would not work perfectly well. You could mount it somewhere convenient and extend the pipe. Careful of the heat....

To muffle the JD for our older ears, we ended up using almost the same JD muffler - but went to one for the next larger displacement engine. It was close enough to look and fit fairly well so we adjusted the mounts to fit. The larger muffler lowered the frequency and reduced the amplitude.
For your L48, you might look at the Kubota M5700 to M9000 series and see if one of those will fit.

40+ years ago we converted the side exhaust on our chore tractor to a vertical stack. That worked very well. We mounted a larger muffler down low, and added an elbow with a tall exhaust pipe & rain cap. Made the upright in two sections that slid together so that hitting something like a tree limb would only knock off the top. A vertical stack is so much nicer I'm tempted to convert the M59.

rScotty

=

/ Kubota L48 loud. Quieter muffler options? #9  
For some models Steiner sometimes had options on mufflers such as a standard stock and a premium for the same application.

I'm a big fan of under rear exhaust making my old Jubilee a real please to operate...

Least favorite is the vertical exhaust in front of operator for 3 reasons... exhaust gas, sound and more vulnerable to tree limbs.

I realized each style has good and not so good attributes.

/ Kubota L48 loud. Quieter muffler options? #10  
Least favorite is the vertical exhaust in front of operator for 3 reasons... exhaust gas, sound and more vulnerable to tree limbs.

I realized each style has good and not so good attributes.

I live in a place with significant fire risk in the summer. The government is getting rather picky about off road vehicles during fire season. I fudge it a bit with the tractor, but definitely don't want an under tractor exhaust. Mine has an elbow at the top of the stack. For some reason it likes to twist to blow at me, so I try to remember to twist it any other direction.