Kubota L4610 HSTC instrument cluster problems

/ Kubota L4610 HSTC instrument cluster problems #1  

ns_in_tex

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 HSTC, International 2400, Hesston 1280,
Some time back, my generator light started blinking, but the voltage was OK, so we just installed a volt meter.
Recently, our air filter dirty, light randomly came on. Filter was OK & we suspected the vacuum switch was faulty, so didn't worry about it.
Today we were mowing & the tractor shut off as if the key was turned off. Knowing that probably, the only thing to stop the diesel, was no fuel, we looked around a little, then decided to try to start it. It started and ran fine, but the fuel and temp gauges were not working. Finished mowing, then the key would not turn it off. Had to pull the fuel lever to stop it.
Air conditioner works fine. Starts fine.

Has anyone had similar problems, of know what we should look for.

/ Kubota L4610 HSTC instrument cluster problems #2  
Look for a loose ground wire in the instrument cluster. Also, the connector may be corroded. Ground wires should be black or green and go to a common ground stud on the frame.

/ Kubota L4610 HSTC instrument cluster problems
Look for a loose ground wire in the instrument cluster. Also, the connector may be corroded. Ground wires should be black or green and go to a common ground stud on the frame.

We dug a little deeper today & found this:
1. 10 amp fuse blown labeled Alternator relay
2. With fuse blown, Engine will start and run
3. air conditioner will work
4. Hazard flashers will work
5. Engine shut off soloniod will not work
6. Lights and gauges on instrument panel will not work.
7. I don't think turn signals are working

What we have done and results:
1. Pulled & disconnnected wires to instrument cluster
2. Ohm ed gr wires feeding instrument cluster = .01 on 20 KW scale
3. With key on, put 12V test lite across fuse terminals. Test lite comes on 1/2 bright for a couple seconds, then goes to full bright. (Possible caused by a voltage drop while glow coil is on ???)
4. Still blows fuse with instrument panel disconnected
5. Alternator is still charging 13.25 volts with fuse blown

It appears there are 6 relays around the area. Not sure if or which one might be the alternator relay.
Also, still can't get out of my mind, why the engine shut down once yesterday. I presume, somehow, the fuel shut off soloniod had to get energized that one time.

What am I missing??

Well, I think we may be making some headway. We disconnected the headlite switch and it seems to have cured the blowing 10 amp (relay alternator) fuse and the critical instrument panel lights and gauges went back to working.

I presume this means we have a short in the light circuit somewhere, but at least this seems to narrow it down quite a bit.
Will try to get back on it Monday & see if we can clear it up.

Worked on it a little more today.
It appears my problem may be a random short.
I have been able to get it work once in a while, without blowing fuse instantly. When it does, most gages & lights work, except the battery charging light stays on all time, even though the alternator is charging.
When it is running and working, as soon as the fuse decides to blow, it shuts the engine down with the fuel shut off I suppose. It will then recrank, but have to shut fuel off manually and gauges don't work.

I think we have found that the voltage regulator and light control is built into the alternator.
We disconnected all wires to the alternator and, so far, it has quit blowing fuses. I would think, if this remains true, there must be a random short in the alternator.
If we decide this is the case, I am thinking we might try to rebuild the alternator if we can find a new regulator for it. Maybe we should first remove, disassemble, clean up and look for something inside the alternator that could randomly short.

I think we found the problem today.
The two small wires going to the alternator were burned with one broken at the clip on the back of the alternator where it is held under a clamp to secure the cable assembly. We repaired these wires and all seems to be working for now.