Kubota L3800 Bush hog sizing

/ Kubota L3800 Bush hog sizing #1  

eyi

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
Hey guys,

Almost pulled to trigger on a K L3800 HST, R4 tires.

The dealer has Bush Hog SQ. A SQ 148 measures 52 inches wide and a SQ 160, 65 inches. The sale rep was recommending a 148 but many here seem to privilege a 5 feet for that size of tractor.

What are your thoughts ? I don't want to go too small but a 65 inches plate is a huge one it seems ?

Thanks

/ Kubota L3800 Bush hog sizing #2  
In my opinion it should be fine with the 65 incher. BUT you might mention what each unit weighs. and whether your terrain is very hilly of mostly flat, and what are you going to be primarily cutting. If it is very hilly, and the units are very heavy built, and the material is very thick, you might drop down to the smaller one.

James K0UA

/ Kubota L3800 Bush hog sizing
KOua,

The #148 is 455 pds and the #160 is 636. My land is mostly flat and I plan to cut mostly light stuff.

TKS

/ Kubota L3800 Bush hog sizing #4  
KOua,

The #148 is 455 pds and the #160 is 636. My land is mostly flat and I plan to cut mostly light stuff.

TKS

I am pretty sure I would get the bigger one. What is the difference in the money?

/ Kubota L3800 Bush hog sizing #5  
Of course who am I to talk, I have a 48 behind my Kioti.. Which is bigger and heavier than your machine, but I used it behind my L3400hst too, (same size as what you are buying, just older model) and while it works Ok for the limited cutting I do, it was originally bought for a B7500 which is a much smaller tractor. It was correct for it, but was small even for the L3400hst. and almost laughable behind my Kioti... Works though!

it is 400 $ more.

It is not the cut width my concern it is not having it exceed my wheels. I feel along my culvert it would be perfect if it exceeds from a couple of inches. Am I right ?

/ Kubota L3800 Bush hog sizing #8  
Most guys want them to exceed their wheels a little so they can mow up close to fences. You dont want your tires getting into the fence. You go slow and watch the cutter, and look forward every few seconds. With my cutter I cannot mow up against anything.. but then I don't have to so it works for me.

/ Kubota L3800 Bush hog sizing #9  
Should be fine with the 5 foot my neighbor uses a 4 footer on his b2400.

/ Kubota L3800 Bush hog sizing #10  
KOua,

TKS

Then I would go with the larger. I have a heavy duty 5' and a standard duty 6'. The larger for light mowing and pasture clean up. Bigger tractors than yours but the same idea applies.