Snow Kubota L series front "quick hitch"- new vs old design - L40 / L60

/ Kubota L series front "quick hitch"- new vs old design - L40 / L60 #1  

HorsPower

Tractor
Kubota
From what I have gathered, Kubota offered one style of front quick hitch (which I will refer to as the "old", or L40 style) hitch during the L40 series tractor era. This style front hitch used a triangular mounting system, which utilized a female receiving bracket on the implement side.

It appears that Kubota redesigned the front hitch system and began offering it with the introduction of the L60 series tractors. This new system (which I will refer to as the "new", or L60 style) utilizes 4 mounting points at the implement, and has more of a hook and pin design.
To make things even more confusing, it looks like Kubota offers an "auto hitch" upgrade to this "new" system, which allows the operator to remain in the seat when switching implements. For the sake of the below questions, lets assume the "new" style hitch is not upgraded with the auto hitch option.

My questions are:
Are there any benefits to the "new" front hitch system over the previous "old" system? Did they redesign the hitch due to design flaws or to address any particular failure points? It seems possible that the redesign of the base hitch may have only been required to facilitate the offering of the "auto-hitch" upgrade.

One advantage of the old style front hitch looks to be that it can remain installed on the tractor (no implement of course), while the FEL is also mounted.

Can the "new" hitch system be installed on an L40 series tractor? i.e. are the tractor-side mounting brackets the same? Alternatively, could the "old" style hitch system be installed on a L60 series tractor?

I am currently in the process of purchasing a L5740, which I plan to equip with a front hitch system. Instead of purchasing a L2195a (old style) or L4479 (new style) Kubota front mount snow blower, I would rather retrofit a 3pt hitch blower (Pronovost or other) to the front of the machine. A couple of reasons for doing this:
  1. Higher quality blower than the Kubota / Rad units
  2. Ability to have the versatility of
    • front mount use- big storms, deep snow, many days of plowing driving forward, OR
    • rear mount use- smaller storms when a plow on the FEL loader is better suited, but the blower can be mounted on the rear for moving piles, cleanup etc. Also, if the primary tractor breaks down, the 3pt hitch blower can be easily moved to another machine
I am aware that Pronovost offers a front 3pt hitch system (Hardy), specifically for mounting 3pt hitch implements to the front of an L series Kubota. However, I have been informed that this kit is being discontinued and will no longer be available once remaining stock has been liquidated.

/ Kubota L series front "quick hitch"- new vs old design - L40 / L60 #2  
I think you are going to run into issues with both PTO speed and rotation direction. I think if you look at the L2195 blower you'll find a second gear box that steps down the speed and reverse the rotation.

/ Kubota L series front "quick hitch"- new vs old design - L40 / L60 #3  
No clue. However the center PTO is 2,100 RPM or something & turns opposite of the standard 540 RPM 3pt PTO. You'll need gearboxes to adapt things if you want to run one blower on the front & rear. Or get one of those PTO units that runs the rear PTO to the front... or get a hydraulic power pack (may as well loader mount the blower at that rate than a front hitch).

/ Kubota L series front "quick hitch"- new vs old design - L40 / L60
Thank you for the replies so far. I am aware of the PTO speed differences between the mid and rear, that is not an issue. Pronovost has told me they can set me up with the drive components for switching between front and rear operation. Im really looking for feedback on the front mounting systems.

I'm not looking to loader mount the blower as that is some serious coin. Further it does not allow having a salt spreader or blade on the 3pt hitch while in use. Most of the components I am sourcing are (barely) used, so the cost shouldn't be too bad going with the front mount system.

/ Kubota L series front "quick hitch"- new vs old design - L40 / L60 #5  
I have an L40 with the L40 front mount blower.
IMO, the sub-frame is massive and a royal pain in the rear. I suppose it protects the PTO shaft, but otherwise it just sucks.
The connection between the blower and the frame is also a PIA. Of course, having the extending PTO shaft properly lubed (i didn't the first year--in too much of a rush to do it right). and the "tongue" and "pocket" greazed up like a pig all helps greatly.

I have no experience with the L60 series attachment. I doubt it's worse. Us engineers try to get smarter every day..

Sounds like you are doing some "home brew" 3-point setup (no disrespect intended). I think that'd be awesome, if you ran a QH on the front. I love my (harbor freight) quick hitch.

I have an L40 with the L40 front mount blower.
IMO, the sub-frame is massive and a royal pain in the rear. I suppose it protects the PTO shaft, but otherwise it just sucks.
The connection between the blower and the frame is also a PIA. Of course, having the extending PTO shaft properly lubed (i didn't the first year--in too much of a rush to do it right). and the "tongue" and "pocket" greazed up like a pig all helps greatly.

I have no experience with the L60 series attachment. I doubt it's worse. Us engineers try to get smarter every day..

Sounds like you are doing some "home brew" 3-point setup (no disrespect intended). I think that'd be awesome, if you ran a QH on the front. I love my (harbor freight) quick hitch.

Thanks AE, I am an engineer also (at least by degree), obviously unable just to go with what is readily offered.... home-brew time.

I agree that that subframe is big, bulky and probably a PITA. However I do like that it protects the driveline, and when dis-mounted, the brackets that remain on the tractor do not appear to be intrusive or limit ground clearance (would you agree?).

The hardy (pronovost) front mount system looks superior in that is offers standard 3pt hitch connection, so any 3pt hitch implement could be mounted to the front. On the downside, aside from the fact that it is being discontinued, the brackets that remain on the tractor look pretty cumbersome and the bracketry doesn't appear to protect the driveline.
HR35-55-2 - Pronovost

Operationally, how do you like your front mount (RAD / Kubota) blower? Do you run 3pt hitch blade on the back for cleanup or anything like that?

/ Kubota L series front "quick hitch"- new vs old design - L40 / L60 #7  
the brackets that remain on the tractor do not appear to be intrusive or limit ground clearance (would you agree?).

I would. There are two that are parallel to the tractor, where the loader bracket bolts to the tractor. So it does reduce, slightly, but I'm guessing the mid PTO is actually lower. Never been a problem, and I'm not afraid to drive over massive amounts of brush and crud.

Another thing to keep in mind is that every year, twice a year, I have to swap out the front bracket with the grill guard. Both are heavy. Not a huge deal, but it adds to the time. I probably take nearly a day to "get ready". Between putting the chains on, taking the loader off, sub-frame on, front guard off, front bracket on, horse stall mats down to protect the floor, back blade on, throw around some grease, blower on.

Looks sweet! I think you'd end up finding additional uses for that.

Operationally, how do you like your front mount (RAD / Kubota) blower?

I love it. Just blasts through whatever I want it to. The first year, I widened our (seasonal) road about 3' on each side. It just walked through the snowbanks. I got compliments for that in August.... I run the bigger-than-supposed-to-be 74" (rated for the 62 or whatever the next size down is) on my L3940. I certainly wouldn't go any smaller.

Do you run 3pt hitch blade on the back for cleanup or anything like that?

Yeah, I found a used L.P. back blade. Winter is *just about* the only time I use the blade, but it's great for scraping down pack.

/ Kubota L series front "quick hitch"- new vs old design - L40 / L60 #8  
Won't be able to answer your questions but can offer my observations.

I have previously owned excellent quality Pronovost rear blower (P620) on smaller tractor but now have L4474 Kubota front blower and do not find construction of the L4474 front blower to be inferior to the previous Pronovost. It is every bit as solid and capable of heavy snow removal that the Pronovost was.

After years of running rear blowers with a twisted neck for hours at a time, front blower wins hands down with an older guy like me.

Looked at the more automated front quick attach system for option of switching blower to front blade, but in the end just went with manual front attachment to save a few bucks.

I leave the subframe on tractor and not much of an issue unless you were planning on working in the woods where every inch of ground clearance counts.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide on in the end.

/ Kubota L series front "quick hitch"- new vs old design - L40 / L60 #9  
What did the OP end up doing?

Follow up -

I investigated the Hardy front 3 pt system in depth. Spoke with dealers, and the manufacturer directly. Apparently the manufacturer had some issues with it and resultantly they decided to discontinue it. Even if I did want it, I would have to have purchased something in leftover stock, but that still would have left the elephant in the room of, why would I purchase it knowing there were existing issues with it's design. Further, I decided the additional cost of a Pronovost blower wasn't worth it for our intermittent Maryland "blizzards."

I have come very close to purchasing a L5740, (on a few different occasions) but for one reason or another did not pull the trigger. My need at this time is not critical, so I have utilized that flexibility to continue shopping for an appropriately optioned, mint condition, pre-owned tractor.

At this point I am starting to lean towards a L6060 due to a variety of reasons:
- The "new" front mount system allows the brush guard to remain on the tractor and appears to be easier to mount the front implements.
- The tier 4 final emissions components do not appear to present any (significant) reliability issues
- Better cab layout, more cabin space, left mounted brake pedals, air ride seat option, auto/hyd skid steer mount option, etc

The main thing I dislike about the L60 series is that they mounted the loader hydro lines outboard of the loader arms. While it likely makes removal and re-install of the loader easier, I'd be concerned that they would be subject to tree limbs and other objects catching them.