Kubota KX41 revs dropping when hydraulics are activated

/ Kubota KX41 revs dropping when hydraulics are activated #61  
Is it possible the governor is moving but not connected to the governor gear? Governor gear worn out?
Not the correct manual but I’m looking at this one for general references
I hate problems like these because after spending time and money you finally come upon the answer and go, “Why didn’t I check that sooner” :rolleyes:
In the youtube vids they show a 1505 governor gear but I’m pretty sure the 1105’s use the same or very similar one.

/ Kubota KX41 revs dropping when hydraulics are activated
I do not see how low compression could cause the slow throttle response or the high RPM. It would possibly explain a slight loss in power with those numbers but should still be usable.

I would still think governor or the fuel torque still out of adjustment. If it were my unit I would set the RPM to 1500 to 1800 and work it. Even if you did the rebuild I think this problem would still exist.
Yeah that's my feeling.
I think the governor is the only remaining fuel system component we haven't changed.

On adjustments, there's are a few that I'd like to figure out how to make sure they are at the original factory setting.
1. The one on the bottom side of the Injector Pump
2. The one on the front side of the Injector Pump
3. The number of shims that should be present under the Injector Pump (timing)

Regarding the shims, the KX41H exploded parts view shows three shims (0.2mm, 0.25mm and 0.3mm). How do I know what shims should be there? Mine has two shims. i haven't looked to see what sizes they are.
I assume that the parts view shows three shims because there are three possible sizes you can order? Not because you need all three on your machine?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-03 at 8.40.43 am.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-03 at 8.40.43 am.png
    160.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4531.JPG
    IMG_4531.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 34
Is it possible the governor is moving but not connected to the governor gear? Governor gear worn out?
Not the correct manual but I’m looking at this one for general references
I hate problems like these because after spending time and money you finally come upon the answer and go, “Why didn’t I check that sooner” :rolleyes:
In the youtube vids they show a 1505 governor gear but I’m pretty sure the 1105’s use the same or very similar one.

Thanks dd.

Yeah the governor shaft assembly is about the only thing left in the fuel system we haven't replaced so I'm ready to order that now.
Before i do that though, I would like to know that the two fuel adjustments are within factory range. Any directions on how to find their factory settings would be good.
There's nothing I can see about them in the Kubota KX41 WSM. I don't have the separate D1105-BH WSM. It may be more detailed in this regard.

/ Kubota KX41 revs dropping when hydraulics are activated #64  
Yeah that's my feeling.
I think the governor is the only remaining fuel system component we haven't changed.

On adjustments, there's are a few that I'd like to figure out how to make sure they are at the original factory setting.
1. The one on the bottom side of the Injector Pump
2. The one on the front side of the Injector Pump
3. The number of shims that should be present under the Injector Pump (timing)

Regarding the shims, the KX41H exploded parts view shows three shims (0.2mm, 0.25mm and 0.3mm). How do I know what shims should be there? Mine has two shims. i haven't looked to see what sizes they are.
I assume that the parts view shows three shims because there are three possible sizes you can order? Not because you need all three on your machine?
I have no idea how to find the proper settings for the adjustments. It might be a starting point in the pump service manual. It would be nice if you had a pump technician that could tune it on the engine. That is about all I can think of. Maybe thepumpguysc has a suggestion?

FINAL UPDATE - PROBLEM SOLVED
Ok. So after replacing the entire fuel system, the problem was where we first started - the governor flyweight sticking.
NB. For future reference, see my earlier video of the engine running with the throttle plate off so the governor fingers are visible.
My original questions in pursuing the governor were to see if anyone knew if the movement of the governor fingers should be noticeable. I wasn't sure if the governor adjusting the throttle slide would be big enough to see it move if it was just making very minor adjustments to the slide.
I would now suggest that if you don't see the fingers move under changing load conditions, you should head to the governor flyweight first.
Here's the difference between the old worn/faulty governor flyweight and the new one.
I have no regrets in replacing and repairing the entire fuel system along the way. Everything that was repaired or replaced was in terrible condition and I couldn't believe it was running at all in the condition they were in.
Thank you to all for your input along the way. It's been a great education.
Let me know if you have any questions about the process.

Last edited:
   / Kubota KX41 revs dropping when hydraulics are activated #66  
Thanks for letting us know the solution to this problem.

/ Kubota KX41 revs dropping when hydraulics are activated #68  
I think we all learned something....

/ Kubota KX41 revs dropping when hydraulics are activated #69  
GREAT FIND.!!!
To be totally honest, I don’t even know if I would have found that..
But then again I work on injection pumps.. period..& THAT, I would classify as an “engine” problem.. lol
Way to go.. & a big slap on the back for finding the problem AND sharing with the rest of the class, who have been following along on your journey..
As far as the adjustments go, the fuel screw, I would back it out until it smoked at wide open throttle and then run it in a turn or two..
THEN, go put it under a load and check the smoke..
U WANT a puff of smoke at full throttle under a load but IT SHOULD clear up immediately..
Good luck

/ Kubota KX41 revs dropping when hydraulics are activated #70  
FINAL UPDATE - PROBLEM SOLVED
Ok. So after replacing the entire fuel system, the problem was where we first started - the governor flyweight sticking.
NB. For future reference, see my earlier video of the engine running with the throttle plate off so the governor fingers are visible (
). My original questions in pursuing the governor were to see if anyone knew if the movement of the governor fingers should be noticeable. I wasn't sure if the governor adjusting the throttle slide would be big enough to see it move if it was just making very minor adjustments to the slide.
I would now suggest that if you don't see the fingers move under changing load conditions, you should head to the governor flyweight first.
I have no regrets in replacing and repairing the entire fuel system along the way. Everything that was repaired or replaced was in terrible condition and I couldn't believe it was running at all in the condition they were in.
Thank you to all for your input along the way. It's been a great education.
Let me know if you have any questions about the process.
I suggested this on Jan 24th on OTT based on your observation that the governor parts were worn. Glad you got around to checking the governor and solved your problem. You've done a pretty good job of systematically attacking the problem and I'm glad you have solved it.