Kubota Grand L6060 and '60 Series Winterfront Covers

/ Kubota Grand L6060 and '60 Series Winterfront Covers #1  

bird dogger

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
A few Grand L6060 tractor owners have asked me if my L3560 winterfront kit would fit their larger '60 series tractor. I wasn't sure....even though I was led to believe that they would. Now we have proof with pictures of the covers on a Grand L6060.

Here's thumbnail pics of the winterfront kit on the 3560LE
L3560 LE Winter Front Covers Front Piece.jpg L3560 LE Winter Front Covers Left Side.jpg

And the covers on a Grand L6060:
Kubota L6060 Front Cover.jpg Kubota L6060 Side Cover.jpg

The difference between the models is the Grand L '60 hood has been lengthened a little bit at the rear which doesn't affect the fit of the covers. Otherwise, the covers are still the same....easy on/off with no tools. Held in place with magnets sewn inbetween the hems. Just like the other winterfront kits available for a few other Kubota models.

If any owners of the larger L '60 series tractors would be interested in a set of winterfront covers....we now know they do fit.

Here's a link to the Winterfronts For Sale listing the current models available. I can't update it for current prices. Anybody interested in a kit for their model can send me a PM for current prices....or post on the for sale thread.

/ Kubota Grand L6060 and '60 Series Winterfront Covers #2  
Can anyone tell me the advantages to using these covers?

Are they to keep snow out of the engine compartment when plowing or blowing?

At what temperature do they cause overheating problems?

/ Kubota Grand L6060 and '60 Series Winterfront Covers #4  

I've been lucky to not need anything on my little Branson so far.

Diesel engines have trouble getting warmed up, and staying warm while running at *real* cold temperatures. The screens or deflector shields (whatever you want to call them) just help with the fight against the engine temp getting too low. I would say anything above 0F shouldn't need them to operate, but that also depends on the specific piece of equipment. I don't think most equipment would risk overheating unless the air temp stayed above +32 F.

I do have to "fast idle" (1600-1800 rpms) my engine when it's colder than -30F or else sitting there long enough at normal idle speed, the engine will get completely cold (Like temp gauge on the C peg)

/ Kubota Grand L6060 and '60 Series Winterfront Covers

Slowpoke Slim was right on target with his answers to your questions. And it really depends on your particular tractor and the conditions your using it in.

My smaller Kubota B2650 when used outside in sub zero temperatures could not produce enough heat to get close to normal operating temperature. If left idling outside in our cold ND sub zero temps, the gauge woould would not even register one bar. A piece of cardboard in the radiator screen wasn't enough to raise the temps either. Also, (on my B2650) the hydraulic oil cooler sits out in front of the radiator and in temperatures near -25 to -30°F even the hydraulic oil was cooling enough that I couldn't get up to rated engine rpm. Trials with different materials and blocking off the side vent areas and the full front grill area solved all the issues I was having. After some revisions and refinements the results were the covers that I now make.

My original write up on making these covers is located here. A few others with the same issues were interested in the covers so I started offering them for sale. If they had a different model tractor, we'd work up a set of patterns for their model and add them to the list.

Larger HP tractors put out more heat and may or may not benefit from winterfronts. It all depends on their location, use, loading, outdoor temps, etc....and where the owner likes to keep his operating temperature range within when operating in those cold temps.

Some benefits of using the covers:
Quick warmups in cold outdoor temps.
Help in keeping the engine temperature where you'd like it in those cold outdoor temps.
Keeping your engine oil temperature in the correct range will boil off any accumulated condensation.
Keeps your hydraulic oil warm if the cooler sits out front of your radiator. Same for the AC if cabbed.
Better heat output from your cab heater.
Helps keep snow from being ingested into the air intake nozzle.
Helps keep your engine compartment warm....including your fuel tank if mounted under the hood!
If your engine temp starts to climb above your normal operating range...just open up a cover or remove.
The covers are easy On/Off with no tools as they're held in place with strong Neodymium magnets.
The covers sit out in front of your radiator so your fan is still drawing air through the nooks and crannies, etc. Completely blocking off the airflow directly using something in the radiator screen location may cause fan blade problems.

Again, larger HP tractors have less issues with engine heat. But (depending on your location) a huge amount of frigid air gets sucked through some of these smaller diesel engines and they just don't burn enough fuel to get or keep the engine temps up in sub freezing outdoor temps. The covers help them out!

I don't have a front mount snowblower. But some that do have experienced severe snow ingestion into their air intake nozzles in the right conditions causing the filters to clog and freeze up with snow/ice.
These covers have also helped with that issue. Here's a link to one person's results.

As far as overheating: I'll put my covers on when the outdoor temperature starts falling below the freezing point. In the teens, I'll maybe just have the side covers on or fold open one end of the front cover to give limited access to fresh air. If you keep an eye on your temperature gauge, there's plenty of time to react and either open up or remove the front cover to drop the engine temperature. If you have a smaller tractor and operate in sub zero temperatures....you'll have to be loading your tractor engine heavy and steady to be worrying about overheating issues! :) At least that's my experience while using the B2650.

Good questions, bdhsfz6. Thanks for asking and your interest!!

Last edited:
   / Kubota Grand L6060 and '60 Series Winterfront Covers #6  
well here's a pic of my hi dollar cover;
And I used the tractor today with the cover still on her and its 43F, went down the driveway and got 3 bucket loads of pea stone and sprinkled into some muddy areas. Ended up running her around for about an hour and never got to warm even with the cover on.

rad cover 2.jpg

Edited to add we cover the farm tractors radiators on cold days also with very similar covers, pieces of ag bag plastic.

There's certainly nothing wrong with your cover solution, Lou!! My first covers for my old JD750MFWD were made from old carpet scraps. I'll see if I can find a pic of that. HA!

I wanted to make something a little more easy to put on and take off when I upgraded to the newer Kubota B2650. Hence, the "new style" winterfront covers I make. Plus they look a little nicer than my old carpet version! :LOL:

And your results are the same as mine as far as overheating is concerned. A person has plenty of time to react to rising temps (if any) if you keep a fairly close watch on your temperature gauge.

/ Kubota Grand L6060 and '60 Series Winterfront Covers #8  
A few Grand L6060 tractor owners have asked me if my L3560 winterfront kit would fit their larger '60 series tractor. I wasn't sure....even though I was led to believe that they would. Now we have proof with pictures of the covers on a Grand L6060.

Here's thumbnail pics of the winterfront kit on the 3560LE
View attachment 777338 View attachment 777339

And the covers on a Grand L6060:
View attachment 777340 View attachment 777341

The difference between the models is the Grand L '60 hood has been lengthened a little bit at the rear which doesn't affect the fit of the covers. Otherwise, the covers are still the same....easy on/off with no tools. Held in place with magnets sewn inbetween the hems. Just like the other winterfront kits available for a few other Kubota models.

If any owners of the larger L '60 series tractors would be interested in a set of winterfront covers....we now know they do fit.

Here's a link to the Winterfronts For Sale listing the current models available. I can't update it for current prices. Anybody interested in a kit for their model can send me a PM for current prices....or post on the for sale thread.
Interesting.

I did not know that such accessories were available for any Kubota tractors aside from the B3350 which needs one in cold weather due to the reformer.

The cold weather package for my B3350 was supplied without charge by Kubota under (unannounced) warranty.

So far, I have been able to avoid any regens in cold weather so do not know how effective it is.

Interesting.

I did not know that such accessories were available for any Kubota tractors aside from the B3350 which needs one in cold weather due to the reformer.

The cold weather package for my B3350 was supplied without charge by Kubota under (unannounced) warranty.

So far, I have been able to avoid any regens in cold weather so do not know how effective it is.
SDT,
When I first bought my B2650 I was new to Kubota, after having owned my JD750 for about 20+ years. The first time out snowblowing in our cold weather up here.....I couldn't get the B2650 engine temperature to even get close to midrange. I searched and searched for a Kubota product and found none. So I started making my own winterfront after having some experience with the old one I made for the JD750.

I also wanted it to look nice and be easy to put on and take off. It turned out pretty good....so I showed my dealer who was quite impressed. He had remembered something about the B3350 cover and had to dig to find info on it. I think the going rate for Kubota's "front cover only" is now in the $500 range for the B3350. I don't know of anybody else making winterfronts for Kubota model tractors other than my wintertime hobby.

As a hobby with virtually no overhead costs, I try to keep my prices as low as I can. But the price of my "Arctic Vinyl" has increased by 50% just this year. The price of the special magnets I use has doubled in price. Postage has also increased.....especially to Canada (sorry). So it's getting harder to not have some major price increases.

When I first made my set, I figured there'd be a few B2650 owners that might be interested in them. Now with a few more patterns and models available the covers are in use from "North Pole" Alaska, The Yukon & across northern Canada to the east coast, and across the northern US in the upper snow belt region. The Kubota owners that have them are pleased with them, so I'll keep making them upon request. It helps keep my workshop fridge stocked with some refreshments. :)

I'll need to find someone to take over when I'm unable to. LOL!

I currently have winterfront sets available to fit these models: B2650/3350, LX2610/3310, B2601, L3560 & '60 series, BX23S and similar. The BX covers are a one piece that fits over the grill work underneath the steering wheel.

I'd like to find someone willing to help make a pattern for their L2501 model in exchange for a reduced price set for their own tractor.

/ Kubota Grand L6060 and '60 Series Winterfront Covers #10  

If your thermometer gets into the negative numbers for weeks at a time and you leave your tractor parked outdoors you will know what engine covers are for.