Kubota GR2100 drive issues

/ Kubota GR2100 drive issues #11  
I think Kubota really hurt their reputation with the early model GRs. Had I not have owned several really good Kubota's before I got my GR2110, I would never had looked at another Kubota. I know exactly how Eddyj feels. They should have had a recall and fix or replaced every one they sold. I lost money trading mine in on a BX, although the dealer did come through within a few hundred dollars of purchase price as a trade.

/ Kubota GR2100 drive issues #12  
I think Kubota really hurt their reputation with the early model GRs. Had I not have owned several really good Kubota's before I got my GR2110, I would never had looked at another Kubota. I know exactly how Eddyj feels. They should have had a recall and fix or replaced every one they sold. I lost money trading mine in on a BX, although the dealer did come through within a few hundred dollars of purchase price as a trade.

You would think that a major design flaw that renders an $8000 tractor essentially worthless after such short usage would warrant a recall.Shame on Kubota.If this type scenario had happened to the BX line,the company would certainly be forced out of business.I see several of the early models for sale through different venues and I wouldn't give more than $500 for any of them without certified documentation that all the upgrades have been done.

Can you imagine buying a new car or truck that self destructs to basically junk value with less than 15,000 miles on it?

/ Kubota GR2100 drive issues
I completely understand Eddy's situation, even at 400 hours, four times the time I have on mine it is still ridiculous. When you buy a diesel tractor one of the things that drives you to that purchase is the understanding that the core of the tractor, the diesel motor is going to last a long long time. So you would also think that the designer and manufacturer would build in other drive components that could also be expected to last a very long time. Obviously, Kubota mated a very poorly designed tranny to a robust diesel motor. Honestly that is just plain stupid! Then as Eddy and I have found, once a gear or bushing breaks apart, that metal can go anywhere because the fluid is feeding just about every other part of the drive and steering that is not the motor itself. So now you might be facing repairs upwards of $3,000. That suggests using overarching design principles that are almost laughably bad. Kubota mated a tranny that would have been inherently inferior (bushings instead of bearings) to what we would have all expected to be an inherently robust core, the diesel motor itself. The consumer would not have expected components to be so poorly mated to each other in that tractor. Further, since the design forces that fluid to coarse through every major component in the tractor except the motor itself, the inferior tranny exposes all those other expensive parts to potential damage. The mere fact that the new tranny is of a completely different configuration, bearings instead of bushings tells you how poorly mated the original tranny was to that motor and eventually the entire tractor itself.

Update on mine. As of my last post, it does look like Kubota and the dealer are going to pitch in to help me some on this tractor. I am still going to get hit and probably hit hard in the repair but it is way better than Kubota doing nothing at all. The fluid is not pouring out of the thing. The leak is a very slow leak indeed. Such a slow leak combined with the fact that the other tractor components that might be effected all function properly possibly suggest that the damage is contained within the tranny itself although when this happens, they have to pull just about everything but the motor apart to see how much may have been damaged by those floating metal particles. In fact, the damaged seal which causes the leak has likely been torn by some part of the shattered bushing or gear. As Eddy explained in his post, the tranny upgrade, which is the repair that must be done if the original tranny goes, is upwards of $1,100 and more likely something like $1,300 if you do nothing else. Then if other components like the much ballyhooed Glide have been damaged now you are headed for that $3,000 + number.

This begs another question though. Since the fluid is not pouring out of there in my case, when did that first gear or bushing come apart, at 50 hours, 60 hours, 70 hour?. These are all numbers that are just incomprehensible for a diesel tractor of this type.

While I brought it up earlier but especially since this is a diesel machine, since it does have an hours counter, it would make much more sense for Kubota to offer an hours of operation warranty for this tractor. I don't know if an hours warranty would extend all the way out to 400 hours and help Eddy out but you would have to think that it would cover my 90 hours of use. At any rate I am soon to find out much more about the actual condition of my GR. Have my fingers ad toes crossed.

/ Kubota GR2100 drive issues #14  
The way I understand it,a low fluid level condition,whether caused by the dodgy axle bushing design or a leak elsewhere would cause the PTO drive at the very top of the system to run dry,hence chewing up those components and distributing metal pieces all throughout the transaxle/hydro.The latest PTO drive in the new machines use a much more reliable hydraulic engagement mechanism.

Sounds like they are helping you out on the 3rds program,whereby all three parties share the cost of the repair after the warranty expires.Better than nothing.

Surely the PTO might be the most vulnerable because if its location. It appears to function properly but there will be no telling if it has damaged until they get in there and pull it apart. The fact that the fluid ends up everywhere other than the motor itself would not be an issue and really should not be an issue. It is an issue with what is really an inferior tranny design...that tranny should never have been implemented in this tractor.

/ Kubota GR2100 drive issues #16  
I own the same tractor. Kubota gr2100 diesel. 2005 model with 400+ hrs. Last week cutting the grass and mowing leaves a seal in the transmission blew, Leaking fluid. The dealership picked it up and the first diagnosis was a new seal for $8 and $100 in labor. One day before delivery I got the call that it things has gone from bad to worse. The gears were gone and the cost would a minimum of $1,100 labor plus parts. Total cost could run $4,000- $5,300. What a joke. I bought this mower to last a lifetime. My brothers John Deere is 20 years old and still running. To make things worst the dealership said Kubota offered zero help and a sales guy called an offered me $500 towards a trade for a new a bx25. ****, they got 60 month 0% financing . Seriously? I spent $1800 on a triple bag attachment 2 years ago. I wouldn't give one red sent to kubota.. Anyone what a free orange lawn ornament ?.

There are parts you could sell off that for several thousand alone besides the engine!! Your dealer is not being very good to you. Hit them harder and make them play ball or make this a nightmare case for them and do up a website with all the facts.

Sorry but I am still glad I got the last G2160-60 the dealer had, I just did not like the looks of the GR

David Kb7uns

/ Kubota GR2100 drive issues #17  
Well,I was able to get mine through the last couple mowings of the season last month.I'm in a quandry of what to do with it.Mine's an '07-supposedly "upgrade" kit was installed a couple years ago when the axle seal was leaking.Dealer helped me out on that one a little bit. This problem a little more serious-right rear binds on certain turns,glide steer cables and springs intact. On a smaller incline next to road,when wet,only the front wheels were spinning-no help from rear. The output shaft on top of tranny that goes to engine(IIRC) has some wobble/play in it. I drained tranny oil and put new filter and oil in before the last couple mowings. The oil that was drained was quite dark,and a few fine particles of metal,but no big pcs. I put the old oil in a clear jug so I can take to dealer when I decide to bring it there. Does anyone know if a tranny from the 20 series,along w/ glide-steer rods(not cables),can be put in an '07? I'm guessing the tranny will be in the $3k range. Don't know if it's worth it or not-no problems w/engine. It's not worth sh*t as it sits now-pretty sad-only about 580hrs. on it. I'm debating on whether to go back to a Cub Cadet or a JD. I really don't want to make payments on a mower again-guess I'll have to wait till it gets looked at and go from there.....what would you guys do?

There must be some big distinction between the G2160 and the GR2100 series or I guess they would not offer both. I don't een recall seein 2160's at my Kubota dealer when I bought my GR2100. What is the major distinction? They are both diesel machines.

/ Kubota GR2100 drive issues #19  
There must be some big distinction between the G2160 and the GR2100 series or I guess they would not offer both. I don't een recall seein 2160's at my Kubota dealer when I bought my GR2100. What is the major distinction? They are both diesel machines.

The G2160 is a diesel,but only 2wd and no glide steer. There is an 04 near me for sale w/just over 200 hrs. and looks to be in mint condition for $6500-I think he also has it listed on ebay. They do have 0% for 36 months or 2.99% for 48 months through end of year.....

/ Kubota GR2100 drive issues #20  
The G2160 is a diesel,but only 2wd and no glide steer. There is an 04 near me for sale w/just over 200 hrs. and looks to be in mint condition for $6500-I think he also has it listed on ebay. They do have 0% for 36 months or 2.99% for 48 months through end of year.....

If you don't need 4WD the 2160 is a much stronger tractor.The frame is more like the BX and the transaxle is all heavy cast iron.Should be a several thousand hour tractor with proper maintenance.Could you trade yours in on this one?