Kubota fuel-water separator for common rail engines

/ Kubota fuel-water separator for common rail engines
5030: ok so if your separator bowl is fairly clear, you can easily tell. of course factory has fiber discs in the bowl to alert, etc. so are you finding your high volume source (hopefully) with water contamination, or might it occur on your end? can't really advise you on after market filters, i'm clueless. my consumption is low compared to yours, & i circulate w/5 gal containers. Sure am glad i don't make my living in agri...

i do hear you on potential water contamination risk even with us both with pre tier 4 injector pumps. in fact i just changed from Howes to Optilube given reviews on recent water related catastrophes.. devil's in the details, hopefully prior to catastrophe
as a footnote, always considered M9000 series best utility tractor till...MXX40 series, but only small differences
i'd say ours are comparable
Both of mine have been excellent units and really, other than odd stuff like a front crank seal on the 2002 and a worn out left outboard bushing set, I've had zero issues. Had them both into the dealer for the valve adjustment and injector pop test and my Kubota mechanic says both are just peachy. Had some ac issues with the 2004 but it was partially my fault as I didn't remove the roof and clean the ac evaporator in a timely manner, something I do yearly now. My ac will freeze you out no matter how hot it is outside. Had them (dealer) top off the refrigerant this last time too.

Both hydraulic shuttles so no clutch to wear out either. Both have the creep gears and the 2 speed pto.

Be my last tractors I ever own. I fully expect them to outlast me.

The mechanically injected pre 4 tractors are really increasing in value too. Told my wife, when I pass, don't sell them cheap .

I believe most contaminant issue with fuel come from excessive handling more than anything else. My fuel supplier drops my fuel in the bulk tank and I pump it into the tractors. Minimal handling involved. I do add biocide to the tank and powerservice plus I use Archoil AR 6500 fuel additive (I know snake oil) but we all have the snake oil thing...lol Archoil has really improved the operation of my Powerstroke Ford pickup so why not.

I bought the first one in 2002 and the second one in 2004 and I thought my wife would kill me when I did. She understand now that an old man like me really needs 2 tractors because constantly changing implements is a royal pain and I usually need her to help me anyway. Getting pretty crotchety and surviving cancer didn't help any.

Things I used to do and thought nothing of are now monumental tasks that take planning. Tough getting old.

/ Kubota fuel-water separator for common rail engines #12  
"Tough getting old."

All things considered, it still beats the alternative.

/ Kubota fuel-water separator for common rail engines #13  
Interesting that someone would recommend a dispersant in diesel for mechanical pumps. Stanadyne was our supplier for mechanical rotary injection pumps from prior to Tier 1 through Tier 2. We switched to common rail Tier 3. Stanadyne told us not to recommend a dispersant. It disperses it making it easier to get into the injection pump and the water molecule is still a water molecule. Even with the lower fuel pressure and not as tight clearances, it will cause damage. Stanadyne’s position - injection pump returned showing water damage warranty denied. We, however, had customers to take care of so add a second water separator because we can’t control fuel.

/ Kubota fuel-water separator for common rail engines #14  
A casual glance at West Marine shows filters from $60 to over a $1,000

2 and 10 micron are popular...

/ Kubota fuel-water separator for common rail engines #15  
About two years ago I picked up a MF 245 that needed work. When I was reassembling it I noticed the was only one CAV fuel filter on it. Having worked on diesels and farm machinery I wasn't happy with just that one filter. Did some research and found some high priced and some not so badly priced filter. Finally decided on Clarcor Fuel Manager. Since I hate plastic I ordered a FM100. Found it easy to mount and using brake lines found it easy to plumb in the system. Installed it so fuel free flows from the tank to the Fuel Manager, then to the lift pump, through the CAV filter then to the pump.
Why did I decide on the Fuel Manager? 1. Price. 2. Size. 3. Variety of filter sizes available. 4. Options available-Heater, primer pump, water sensor, electric pump etc. 5. Brand recognition.

A casual glance at West Marine shows filters from $60 to over a $1,000

2 and 10 micron are popular...
www.racorstore.com

About two years ago I picked up a MF 245 that needed work. When I was reassembling it I noticed the was only one CAV fuel filter on it. Having worked on diesels and farm machinery I wasn't happy with just that one filter. Did some research and found some high priced and some not so badly priced filter. Finally decided on Clarcor Fuel Manager. Since I hate plastic I ordered a FM100. Found it easy to mount and using brake lines found it easy to plumb in the system. Installed it so fuel free flows from the tank to the Fuel Manager, then to the lift pump, through the CAV filter then to the pump.
Why did I decide on the Fuel Manager? 1. Price. 2. Size. 3. Variety of filter sizes available. 4. Options available-Heater, primer pump, water sensor, electric pump etc. 5. Brand recognition.

About the same cost as the Racor units from what I see.