Kubota excavator swing blade

/ Kubota excavator swing blade #1  

Ken45101

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota M5040, M9540, B21 TLB, B2710, RTV900, JD 325 Skid steer, KX-121-3 mini excavator
Currently I am renting a Kubota KX-121-3 with the thought of purchasing it, or a new one.

It has the fixed dozer blade (up and down only). Newer models have the swing blade, an option on the newer ones (the newest have 6 way blades).

Looking at the fixed blade, it looks quite sturdy in it's mount. I wonder if the swing blade is as sturdy? I'm looking at this not for just pushing dirt back in a hole, but for trail excavation where I'd like it do be able to do some digging as well as pushing loose dirt around.

Is the swing blade as study as the fixed?

I've also seen one comment where someone said the swing blade pushes the unit sideways too much. Does that limit the effectiveness? Would I be better sticking with the fixed blade?

Thanks,

Ken

/ Kubota excavator swing blade #2  
Had some work done with one in the fall , the 6way looked like the way to go but it is not a dozer. Handy for back fill etc. seemed to be very well built.

/ Kubota excavator swing blade #3  
I believe groundcover is correct. Don't think of excavator as a dozer. Too slow if nothing else. Anytime you are pushing at an angle what ever is doing the pushing has to be able to hold traction to keep straight. Ever notice the way front tires on a road grader leans?

/ Kubota excavator swing blade #4  
My 121-3s has an angle blade and it does an excellant job while it is not a dozer it can move alot of dirt and your viewing angle is much better then any dozer, I use it mostly to backfill trenches, I take it out on the trails and it is a nice way with little impact on the forest to keep the trails in good shape. I think the 121 is one of the best size machine for alot of thing around the farm, go with the angle blade.

/ Kubota excavator swing blade
Thanks for the comments.

I'm real impressed with the rental machine. I think one will find a permanent home here.

Ken

/ Kubota excavator swing blade #6  
I think these rubber tracks wear pretty fast if used to generate traction ??

I think you should expect it only to be useful to push loose dirt, a quicker way to backfill trenches than with the bucket, as other guys already said.

/ Kubota excavator swing blade #7  
I have about 50 hours on my 121-3 with angle blade. It is very handy to have. I have not run a dozer before, but I don't try to pretend it is one. I use the angle after I move the majority of the dirt. If you angle the blade and your material is not loose or your quantity is huge then expect to be pushed a little to the side. I have not found a disadvantage to having the angle blade.

Mike

/ Kubota excavator swing blade
Well I bought a KX-121-3 with the angle blade. Wow! I am impressed.

For my use, mainly digging trails on hillsides, it is a tremendous improvement over the fixed blade. A couple of swipes with the bucket to loosen the dirt on the high side and then just move forward, letting the angle blade push the loose dirt over to the low side. No backing and twisting to push the excess dirt over.

The float position is great for smoothing things out while backing.

I'm certainly no expert (just a newbie), but it would seem to cause less wear on the tracks than the constant twisting required to push loose dirt over with the fixed dozer blade.

Ken

/ Kubota excavator swing blade #9  
I'm certainly no expert (just a newbie), but it would seem to cause less wear on the tracks than the constant twisting required to push loose dirt over with the fixed dozer blade.

Thats absolutely true... tracks never run off the rollers when going straight, only when taking a corner...