Kubota BX2670 Fuel Filter Freezing up in Cold Weather

/ Kubota BX2670 Fuel Filter Freezing up in Cold Weather #31  
I'm originally from Alaska and had a Kubota up there. I lived in the "warmer" wetter Anchorage area and stored my tractor outside. I treated both my tractor and truck fuel all winter after similar issues with both.

/ Kubota BX2670 Fuel Filter Freezing up in Cold Weather #32  
Why don’t you just blend your fuel in winter? Since you have that many problems, 50% #2 and 50% #1 or Kerosene. Life is too short for that much trouble!

/ Kubota BX2670 Fuel Filter Freezing up in Cold Weather #33  
I had a year with bad fuel from a normally dependable source. at about 25 degrees, I couldn't get more than an idle out of my old Cub Cadet with the Cat Diesel. Power service and a new filter got it running. Then I cut the fuel to about 50% kerosene. No problems the rest of the winter. Now, I premix and pretreat. Power Service white and 1/3 kerosene.

/ Kubota BX2670 Fuel Filter Freezing up in Cold Weather #34  
Change your filters and get rid of that fuel that you have in your tank.
Go on YouTube and enter the following: "what is the best anti gel for diesel."

Howes is the worst you can do to your tractor.

I observed some frost on my tank lid. I've use CleenFlo. It removes moisture from the tank.

/ Kubota BX2670 Fuel Filter Freezing up in Cold Weather #35  
Change your filters and get rid of that fuel that you have in your tank.
Go on YouTube and enter the following: "what is the best anti gel for diesel."

Howes is the worst you can do to your tractor.

I observed some frost on my tank lid. I've use CleenFlo. It removes moisture from the tank.
I have been a pretty loyal Power Service (white bottle) user for 30+ years but on a road trip needed a new jug and all they had was Howes. Found out that that stuff will freeze in the jug. I don't recall how cold it was but that was my last jug of Howes. Power Service 911 would only be a last resort for me, and I do have a bottle of it in the truck. Have heard from multiple people that it is hard on injection pumps. Come fall every fill up gets a dose of the white bottle.

/ Kubota BX2670 Fuel Filter Freezing up in Cold Weather #36  
Living in Vermont, like many other places, summer humidity and extreme variations in temperatures are a problem, and no matter what effort is made to keep the fuel tank full, some moisture enters and condenses and eventually will end up in the fuel filter bowl. I have found it a simple task to just remove and drain the fuel filter bowl in later October or early November. Only once did I forget and that was part of a problem. I also take that opportunity to change the fuel filter, as on my B7300, they are not very expensive. If the bowl is not drained of water, that will freeze and potentially cause a fuel problem down the road. I do not see water collecting in my fuel tank, so I feel catching it in the fuel filter bowl is a good option. If there is water in the fuel filter bowl, there is water in the filter element as well. That water will generally freeze and prevent fuel flow long before wax crystals form.

My fuel dealer has off road winter mix (70% #2-30% #1) available after mid-November through mid-March. However, I do keep a can of #1 available, if there is a chance of temps dropping below -20F. I have read articles regarding use of winter blends vs diesel flow additives. One states that a 50-50 blend causes a 2% loss in both energy and economy, and at a higher cost than a diesel flow additive. I do not see a 2% loss as extreme. Regarding comparative costs, I will look into that further, but until then, the winter blend has worked well for me.

/ Kubota BX2670 Fuel Filter Freezing up in Cold Weather #37  
OP, you`ve GOT TO TREAT the fuel BEFORE putting it in your tractor. Otherwise, its pointless.

I`ve used Power service for years, seemed i couldn`t always depend on it when it got REALLY cold out.
Since switching to the Hot Shots Diesel Winter Anti-Gel, not ever a starting/running problem since i switched brands.

I also bought the aux filter kit for my BX23s from "Mike & Sandy" at botaproducts, best kit on the market.
Mike`s kit eliminates that lousy tiny filter under the tractor. I also replace my fuel filters once a year regardless.
The nice thing is, Mike`s filter kit has a fuel shut off. Changing the fuel filters now only takes minutes, and i`m running again.

1672805527852.png

/ Kubota BX2670 Fuel Filter Freezing up in Cold Weather #38  
One can get frozen water in the fuel tank and that blocks the line out the fuel tank. Presents an inconsistent running condition. Had that happen with my Kioti: source of problem/water incursion was the locking fuel cap (have a better one now and I put something over it when parked- have not had an issue since). Oh, and I treat my fuel when I refill my bulk tank.

/ Kubota BX2670 Fuel Filter Freezing up in Cold Weather #39  
Today I did the following with my Kubota as the temperature was about 14 deg F. I removed the gas cap and cleaned the ice around the "tubes/vents". It did look like it could have been clogged.

I used my hair dryer and warmed the front fuel filter for about 5 minutes. I started the tractor and let it idle and warm up for about 12 minutes. I then hopped on it and began blowing snow for about 10 minutes and then the engine suddenly bogged down and ran very rough. When running rough, I opened the gas cap and that didn't help so the gas cap venting was not causing the issue.

I turned off the engine, got a small electric space heater and put it under the rear fuel filter for about 20 minutes. Every 5 minutes I started up the tractor, and again the engine would run very rough. After about 20 minutes, I added a little 911 to the the gas tank and while the heater underneath was still on. I waited 5 more minutes and started the tractor. It started up and the engine appeared to run fine. I let it warm up for about 8 minutes and then started blowing snow. I blew snow for the next 4 hours and the tractor ran very well.

I don't know if it was applying heat to the rear fuel filter or the combination of applying heat and using the 911 in the fuel tank. In any case, I was happy to get my Kubota running again in this cold weather as I have to clear about 2 feet of snow in an area where I have 9 Scottish Highlands. I was getting nervous as my small cattle operation here in Northern Michigan depends on clearing snow so I can put out hay bales and clear a path to a small pond that I use to fill the cows water tanks.

If my filters are clogging up with parafin wax, will the 911 remove the wax or should I still change the fuel filters? My front fuel filter probably has less than 30 hours on it. I've been assuming my fuel filters were freezing up do to water, not wax.
Replace filters and drain fuel. Add new fuel because you’ve got too much water in it.

/ Kubota BX2670 Fuel Filter Freezing up in Cold Weather #40  
I grew up on a farm in Nebraska with a lot of livestock in the 50`s and 60`s that has to be fed, so there was no diesel tractors we had the only JD 4020 gas I ever new of. Look up comfort cover for vintage tractors on the internet. Not only do these things keep the operator warm THEY HOLD HEAT ALONG THE SIDE OF THE ENGINE keeping your diesel fuel filters warm. Also may have to block off 1/2 of the radiator.