kUBOTA BX23S - wights, tire chains or ballast box ?

/ kUBOTA BX23S - wights, tire chains or ballast box ? #1  

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012)
Hi Everyone,

lots of thick ice, unusual long-term deep-freeze weather, and too much snow = spinning

I've checked a few of the earlier posts about this issue, still looking for the best option for performance /snow removal (I may look at a rear blade in the future).

The tractor was delivered in September 2018, so I am still a newbie / rookie for the most part ... learning a lot. I believe that the tires were filled at the dealership.
I'd like suggestions for the best options between weights, chains, ballast box, or other ... I want a better winter system for next year.

Farmers almanac said that it was going to be a mild winter ... well it started late, came with a vengence, and the deep-freeze has continued for about 5 weeks now with further weeks of freezing in the forecast. Basically, the snow / ice is going no where ... and I need to improve the landscape... I don't want to duplicate efforts.

I'm thinking weights are the simplest and easiest to use.
Chains may be a bit awkward for me, given some limitations
haven't really considered the ballast box option yet
a rear blade or front snow blower may be the future option purchase(s)

thanks for any suggestions

cheers, Scaredychicken

/ kUBOTA BX23S - wights, tire chains or ballast box ? #2  
Of your three options chains are the only one that is good on ice.
And the only really good chain are the Euro or diamond studded;
such as
Aquiline Talons,
OFA,
Trygg.

/ kUBOTA BX23S - wights, tire chains or ballast box ? #3  
Agree with Lou, for ice you need chains. Then rear ballast to help with the bite for the chains. Something heavy hanging off the RR 3-pt. Personally, I just leave my RFM on when I clear snow (with the FEL). 400-500 lbs hanging off the back makes a big difference.

/ kUBOTA BX23S - wights, tire chains or ballast box ? #4  
Of your three options chains are the only one that is good on ice.
And the only really good chain are the Euro or diamond studded;
such as
Aquiline Talons,
OFA,
Trygg.

I agree chains and ballast are the answer for snow and ice but there are many chains that work including 2 link V-bar latter chains. I consider them really good chains, They are way less money and I have used a $100 set for years and they work great. depends on what you want to spend on chains..

/ kUBOTA BX23S - wights, tire chains or ballast box ? #5  
No experience with your ice conditions, but chains seem to be best for traction....

On side note if using FEL and heavy loads, ballast box will counter balance tractor by adding weight on rear tires (main traction tires)....Had a few tipsy situations and my tractor has hydrostatic drive so brakes are inboard (wet) in HST, if rear wheels get light, braking and traction diminish considerably....

I have SCUT, its a MF CG 1715, and by adding a 500-600 pound ballast box on rear made a world of difference in braking and traction and stability....

If you have any implement (blade or mower) I would add it on to 3PH to see if traction or braking improves in your situation....

Dale

/ kUBOTA BX23S - wights, tire chains or ballast box ?
Thanks everyone - definately looking into chains.

I have implements that I can hang off the back for weight (box blade) however I am only using the tractor / loader at this point. I cleared out enough room in the garage so that I can have the Kubota inside the garage for the winter ... easy access for when I need it. It fits snuggly with about a foot to spare between the loader and the door. I think I have about 2 inches of clearance above the canopy to clear the 8 ft overhead door :).

Parking it inside the garage is more convenient than 400 ft away by the chicken coop ... at least for the winter.

Good suggestions, thank you.

SC

/ kUBOTA BX23S - wights, tire chains or ballast box ? #7  
Its worth bringing up how much chains can damage concrete and asphalt. As a landscaper, ive seen many scared up driveways. Its definitely the most effective way to get traction but just be careful if youve got a nice driveway.

/ kUBOTA BX23S - wights, tire chains or ballast box ? #8  
I would leave the box blade on it for rear ballast and see if that is "enough" to get you by. Are you on flat ground, or do you have a steep driveway? Also, what is your driveway made of, concrete, asphalt, gravel or dirt? Chains are the ultimate in ice traction, but you may not need them. Where I'm at now, my driveway is completely flat, so I'm ok with just filled rears and a box blade as rear ballast. I'm also just over 7000 lbs, which helps too. Most of the time, I don't have my rear diff lock on.

/ kUBOTA BX23S - wights, tire chains or ballast box ? #9  
I would find out for sure whether the tires were filled.

Doug in SW IA

/ kUBOTA BX23S - wights, tire chains or ballast box ? #10  
I agree chains and ballast are the answer for snow and ice but there are many chains that work including 2 link V-bar latter chains. I consider them really good chains, They are way less money and I have used a $100 set for years and they work great. depends on what you want to spend on chains..

Two link spaced ladder chains are better then 4 link ladder chains,
they do not even start to come close to the Euro style.
I have used many styles of chains over the years the difference in ride and traction is simply unimaginable,
there is no comparison. It is a multitude increase over conventional. Once you use them you will not be happy with anything less.