Kubota B7100 HST won't start, cranking sounds weak

/ Kubota B7100 HST won't start, cranking sounds weak #1  

canucklehead

Gold Member
Tractor
1979 Ford 1500, Toro 455D 10' mower w/ Renault diesel,
My 1984 B7100 HST started fine, my son hooked up brushcutter and brought it to shop to grease it up. Afterwards it wouldn't start. Sounds like a weak battery. We tried different battery, jump starting... just won't kick in. It sounds like it's laboring as it turns over, not cranking as hard as it should. Tried cleaning battery cables. They look old.

I very recently replaced both belts. i thought maybe I over-tensioned and flywheel was having tough time so I loosened tension, but that wasn't it.

Could starter somehow be weak? Any suggestions?

thnx

/ Kubota B7100 HST won't start, cranking sounds weak #2  
Have you tried jump starting directly to the starter. Also push in the clutch when trying to start it??? ( I know there is a safety switch there)

/ Kubota B7100 HST won't start, cranking sounds weak
we tried pushing in clutch to start, and we also tried decompression with clutch pushed in.

did not try power straight to the starter. It would be very tricky to get jumper cable to starter and not accidentally ground onto something else.

/ Kubota B7100 HST won't start, cranking sounds weak #4  
Does it have glow plug??? try letting glow plug heat longer.

When I had my B7100 did the same as yours,battery was slowly die than quit one day.

I just went and tried that. Still no fire. There is a little orange coil that will glow to show you've pre-heated glow plugs. But does that mean glow plugs are actually working? Not sure how to troubleshoot this. My Kubota repair manual is poor for troubleshooting and diagnostics.

/ Kubota B7100 HST won't start, cranking sounds weak #6  
Take another look at the battery cables.

I took it to tractor mechanic and will let you know what he discovers. I am wondering if glow plug is issue.

/ Kubota B7100 HST won't start, cranking sounds weak #8  
is the PTO stuck on and trying to turn the brushcutter with starter?

great suggestion, but the PTO was disconnected from the brushcutter. It is similar to that though, where it isn't cranking hard.

mechanic called and asked if I ran it out of oil or overheated it (no to both)....maybe he's thinking i have poor compression/head warpage or gasket issue.

/ Kubota B7100 HST won't start, cranking sounds weak #10  
G'day if it has happened that suddenly and you have ruled out battery/cable issue then get the starter checked going on the age of the machine it has prob never been off before

Jon